View Full Version : 706z

jonserfish
03-16-2014, 05:13 PM
anyone using the new 706z?

Guppy
03-17-2014, 06:28 AM
Had my hands on a bailess, out of balance something awful,,,
Lost the drag knob to my 40 yr old green 710z last season,,, still breaking out in tears now and then,,,, :uhuh:

Sgt Striper
03-17-2014, 09:25 AM
It's exactly the same as the original, wobble and all!

Mike P
03-17-2014, 01:21 PM
Had my hands on a bailess, out of balance something awful,,,
Lost the drag knob to my 40 yr old green 710z last season,,, still breaking out in tears now and then,,,, :uhuh:

They've always been out of balance. ;)

I'll bet that the line roller still sounds like it's full of sand even when brand new, too. :D

snake slinger
03-17-2014, 01:38 PM
Good reel
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

bart
03-17-2014, 01:42 PM
If you fish the rocks and don't swim, it's the best reel out there for the money IMO

1dozenraw
03-17-2014, 04:08 PM
All of the above are correct.

I have one NIB and ready to go ... in 20 years when my other two wear out. Who cares about the wobble... if you are reeling so fast that the wobble causes a problem you must have a warrant out for you and the cops must have just headed out onto the breachway. As for the roller... when these were first re-isued I got in a conversation on-line with a Penn rep and just wanted to know WHY ON EARTH they did not put a better roller and bearing in the new ones. We all would have paid another $5 for it. Sometimes it really makes me wonder if anyone who is in design and engineering every really tests the stuff they are putting out. But, it's still the best reel for the $$$ made for heavy surf work.

jonserfish
03-17-2014, 06:27 PM
THANKS FOR THE INPUT.
My brother has a green 712 he wants me to sell for him. I'm just waiting to receive it to evaluate the condition before listing. He also said he had a box full of vintage stuff. I can't wait to see it.

jonserfish
03-17-2014, 06:31 PM
was also looking at the SSV6500. I know nothing about either models (z series)but they both look decent

BigBo
03-17-2014, 07:25 PM
The SSV reel is decent but don't believe Penn's claims of it being waterproof or watertight as they were originally advertising it as. I had one get substantial water intrusion just from boat spray. Not even any dunkings. Not a bad reel for the price point, but definitely not what they were claiming it to be. Overall you're probably better off with the Z series between the two if you're going to use it for the surf. Easier to service should you do get any water inside.

piemma
03-18-2014, 03:39 AM
They've always been out of balance. ;)

I'll bet that the line roller still sounds like it's full of sand even when brand new, too. :D

Boy does that bring back memories!! Still one of the best workhorses available even with all of its shortcomings.

jonserfish
03-18-2014, 05:19 AM
The SSV reel is decent but don't believe Penn's claims of it being waterproof or watertight as they were originally advertising it as. I had one get substantial water intrusion just from boat spray. Not even any dunkings. Not a bad reel for the price point, but definitely not what they were claiming it to be. Overall you're probably better off with the Z series between the two if you're going to use it for the surf. Easier to service should you do get any water inside.

thanks

Mike P
03-18-2014, 01:05 PM
Boy does that bring back memories!! Still one of the best workhorses available even with all of its shortcomings.

Yeah, you go through the trouble (actually, not a lot of trouble) of taking the spring off the drag clicker, and that line roller still tells the world for about a quarter mile around, on a quiet night, that you're into fish. :rotf2:

Steve K
03-25-2014, 08:06 AM
I still use my 706 on BI. I have fallen on it and dropped it and it still works. Works well with fireline and mono. I don't see the need to move up to a zeebaas or van staal when I don't wetsuit.

tlapinski
03-25-2014, 09:25 AM
Yeah, you go through the trouble (actually, not a lot of trouble) of taking the spring off the drag clicker, and that line roller still tells the world for about a quarter mile around, on a quiet night, that you're into fish. :rotf2:

Pack the roller assembly with grease and it is not only as quiet as a church mouse but it also silky smooth. I only dealt with the noise for an outing or two before I figured out a fix, and I never understood why this didn't become a common practice to fix the noise issue. I figure guys were already adding grease to the main body, why wouldn't they think to add some to the roller as well?

zimmy
03-26-2014, 11:44 AM
There was a Mike P back on the old saltfish board in the 90's that recommended greasing the roller. I never looked back. I assumed everyone did it by now. That Mike P was from Jersey or New York, I think. Grease it...

Mike P
03-26-2014, 01:48 PM
There was a Mike P back on the old saltfish board in the 90's that recommended greasing the roller. I never looked back. I assumed everyone did it by now. That Mike P was from Jersey or New York, I think. Grease it...

This Mike P used to be from NY. ;)

Pretty sure that was my post. Fun days back then. Too bad that place died a slow death. I don't know whether someone threw the final shovel of dirt on it or not.

zimmy
03-26-2014, 08:13 PM
I thought maybe :) Seems like a lifetime ago. Why I remembered that, I don't know. Every once in awhile someone or something from old sites pops in my head. Ctriverstripers was my main hangout once I moved to New England.