View Full Version : HERRING

Clammer
03-20-2014, 01:12 PM
DEM installed the gear that is used to help with the counting of buckies in Buckeye Brook this morning ><><:fishin:

Raven
03-20-2014, 02:11 PM
how does that work?

BigBo
03-20-2014, 03:04 PM
Electronic fish counters. They're pretty accurate.

goosefish
03-23-2014, 07:14 PM
I saw a bunch of herring today in the stream by my place.

Clammer
03-24-2014, 10:25 PM
not electric here .

they have a box with a lock .inside they have a recording sheet , depth gauge & temp gauge . DEM also lays down a white / piece of plastic/ tile / something ...... abot 6' by 2,5 ' ..................... I not sure if DEM does a count . but there are bunch on volunteers / that are assigned time , plus you can go @ anytime >>log in & fill in a report .. basically the water/ weather conditions ............ lenght of time X the number counter [if any] then do some calculations to come up with a final tally ;;

iamskippy
03-25-2014, 06:02 AM
not electric here .

they have a box with a lock .inside they have a recording sheet , depth gauge & temp gauge . DEM also lays down a white / piece of plastic/ tile / something ...... abot 6' by 2,5 ' ..................... I not sure if DEM does a count . but there are bunch on volunteers / that are assigned time , plus you can go @ anytime >>log in & fill in a report .. basically the water/ weather conditions ............ lenght of time X the number counter then do some calculations to come up with a final tally ;;

Seems legit.
[i]Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

BigBo
03-25-2014, 06:41 AM
A lot of the runs here in MA have gone to electronic counters.

chaz
03-29-2014, 10:18 AM
I was just told that the middleboro run has a camera,it's attached to a pipe,it showed them swimming thru,there are some shots on their Facebook page.I just walked down the ladders and did not see anything,it seems the fish are running a little behind this year .they were here in late March last year in very good numbers,an estimate was about 80000 for the season for the wareham st location.

Raven
04-08-2014, 08:21 AM
sufficient rainfall

to send the earthy smell of river mud out to sea
that the Striper's key in On to Navigate back to
Northern breeding grounds.... by way of their DNA....:soon: