View Full Version : trout stocking?

tinyboatbigfish
03-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Can anyone tell me if they know when the stocking will start in the Marshfield area it doesn't say on the mass wildlife website thanks

FishermanTim
03-28-2014, 12:56 PM
won't post until a week after they do so, and probably not until sometime in April. Wonder what the stocking numbers will be this year since they are no longer doing the salmon thing any longer?

Somehow I think we'll probably see fewer fish being stocked, but that's just the pessimist in me peeking out!

Personally I don't really care when they stock so that when I do decide to try, they fish eill have had a chance to acclimate themselves to the waters.

No offense, but we go through this every year, with the stalkers whatching and waiting for the stocking trucks to dump so they can load up on more than their limit of "cardboard" flavored trout.

Catching stocked trout right off the truck is truly like shooting fish in a barrel. Where's the sport in that???

Swimmer
03-28-2014, 02:38 PM
Ask RoyL, he seems to know.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

nautibuoys
03-28-2014, 07:09 PM
Looks like they stocked in the Cape and Central/ Worcester areas so should be in the next week or two...

Raven
03-29-2014, 05:53 AM
BY Now, in my AREA of the wachusett RES
they would have already dumped them in
but it's still covered in ICE keeping
spring temps much lower than normal

seadogg
03-29-2014, 09:56 AM
Take a look at the Division of Fisheries site. They stocked many of the ponds in the southeast district this week. They typically update their activities every Friday.

numbskull
03-30-2014, 04:23 PM
Found a slow bite on the Cape today. Yesterday was reportedly better.

Swimmer
03-30-2014, 06:50 PM
Found a slow bite on the Cape today. Yesterday was reportedly better.

Aren't they beautiful

Sea Dangles
03-30-2014, 08:42 PM
with lemon and capers

piemma
03-31-2014, 04:18 AM
No offense, but we go through this every year, with the stalkers whatching and waiting for the stocking trucks to dump so they can load up on more than their limit of "cardboard" flavored trout.

Catching stocked trout right off the truck is truly like shooting fish in a barrel. Where's the sport in that???

have a friend who's 67 years old and has been doing just what you said for 50 years. Seems to think he's the "MAN" because he catches his limit of hatchery trout following the stocking truck:smash:.

Raven
03-31-2014, 05:18 AM
down yonder we have to wait until the first saturday of april
for trout season to open

not even ICE OUT yet

numbskull
03-31-2014, 06:25 AM

After weeks of sparse nighttime plugging following a phone call to a daylight canal blitz of #30 fish feels good.

After months of cold and dreary drudgery, standing in a pond and catching a 15" fish feels good.

Neither is a test of anyone's skill as a fisherman. Sometimes, though, it is fun just to catch fish. Sport can always wait for another day.

piemma
03-31-2014, 06:44 AM
After weeks of sparse nighttime plugging following a phone call to a daylight canal blitz of #30 fish feels good.

After months of cold and dreary drudgery, standing in a pond and catching a 15" fish feels good.

Neither is a test of anyone's skill as a fisherman. Sometimes, though, it is fun just to catch fish. Sport can always wait for another day.

As always, the voice of reason. Good point!

Rockport24
03-31-2014, 10:09 AM
yeah and the article in OTW this month said that the stockies are tastier right out of the hatchery... so there ya go!

FishermanTim
03-31-2014, 01:12 PM
yeah and the article in OTW this month said that the stockies are tastier right out of the hatchery... so there ya go!

Must be feeding them lemon-butter pellets or garlic-butter flakes :rotf2:

I still like to wait at least a week to give the fish a chance to acclimate a little and have a chance to feed on REAL fish food before catching one.

What surprises me is that the vast majority of trout that are caught and eaten are farm raised hatchery fish. I doubt anyone has had the chance to eat a trout in all it's natural glory. When you see a trout fillet that is a light pink instead of a rosey red, imagine just what flavors you are missing out on?

Just an observation...

Raven
03-31-2014, 03:30 PM
195,000 rainbows over 14″
· 71,000 rainbows over 12″
· 12,000 rainbows between 9-12″
· 500 brown trout over 18″
· 43,000 brown trout over 12″
· 81,000 brown trout between 9-12″
· 1,250 brook trout over 15″
· 31,200 brook trout over 12″
· 38,200 brook trout between 9-12″
· 10,000 brook trout between 6-9″
· 4,700 tiger trout over 14″

JohnnySaxatilis
04-04-2014, 09:13 AM

yea, its been nicer than usual getting outside and bending the rod after that unholy off-season