View Full Version : some done stuff

ProfessorM
04-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Finally wrapping stuff up for the year. Large Dannies, A-40's , Jointed Pichney's.

numbskull
04-04-2014, 08:12 PM
Oh dear! Now I have to be nice to you again.

wrikerjr
04-04-2014, 10:00 PM
nice work. The jointed's look excellent.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

eskimo
04-04-2014, 11:54 PM
woah

vineyardblues
04-05-2014, 06:36 AM
Getting better my friend

Eric Roach
04-05-2014, 07:12 AM
Beautiful swimmers, Paul. I can see your preference for just white.

ProfessorM
04-05-2014, 07:24 AM
funny thing about the jointed Pichney is I really don't like jointed plugs. Single jointed plugs always look so un natural to my eye but it was a cool looking plug so I said what the hell it looks like a fun build. So I got an original from VB a few years ago, had George x ray it and made a single one. It sat for a year or 2 on the shelf till last year I bought it out with George as we usually drag way too many plugs with us and took it out for a swim and it looked decent a real snake like action. So I said I need to make a few more and use the darn thing. We shall see.

ProfessorM
04-05-2014, 07:31 AM
OK I'll wrap this up. I guess I did get more done than I thought this winter. Finished up some stuff from years ago too. I got in an epoxy groove, a good one, so I kept going.

Small Pichney Dannies
Gary2 slim, some slanted slims and a bigger one to try and a couple BM schoolies
Have gone back to the Gibbs design pencils and a few canal modified ones.

ProfessorM
04-05-2014, 07:34 AM
Some of my small poppers, regular weighted and canal weighted

Of course can't not make some Lido flaptails:)

Peanut Conrads, made and painted these 3 years ago

ProfessorM
04-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Med. Dannies and a couple small fat Fixter style Pikies. These were turned at least 3 years ago.

Pichney style large darters, a couple fun ones thrown it there too. Hope to ruin a few of these this year

ProfessorM
04-05-2014, 07:44 AM
That's all folks. Way more than I thought I did. I was glad to clean up stuff from the past too. I am glad it is behind me. Fun while the weather sucked but was getting old at the end.

I hope they like yellow this years

numbskull
04-05-2014, 07:48 AM
Glad you're going to TCTFN.

The rest of us can rob your basement while you're gone.

johnny ducketts
04-05-2014, 07:55 AM
That squid darter is sick!! Nice work, curious to see how it swims.

ProfessorM
04-05-2014, 08:05 AM
I will see in the next week or so. I saw a similar one made somewhere. Kind of did it for fun. My only worry is with the reduction of material in the rear will it affect the action. If it does I'll hang it. It was not done in vain though as I always need practice in painting and epoxy and wiring when it comes to darters and getting them done without wreaking them along the way. You have to do some fun stuff or it will get boring and practicing the techniques helps. Most of the time I swim something before I go to this extent but I know the design is good but will the alterations make a difference. We'll see.

Swimmer
04-05-2014, 08:35 AM
Paul, is that last color a custom mix?

ProfessorM
04-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Yes kind of. I tried to copy an original Musso, Pichney, yellow color they seemed to use back then. I like the color and found I had to mix some stuff together. Don't ask me what because I did not write it down. I just kept mixing and putting it up against an original darter I have. Came pretty close

Muskyslayer96
04-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Man Paul I love your stuff...AWESOME

MS

wrikerjr
04-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Very impressive. I like the tail weight on a few of the pencils.

eskimo
04-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Any Bass Aqua's? :)

Ryan560
04-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Awesome stuff! Let us know how you do with the red darters, old school color you don't see alot of today. Bet they do well though.

Sgt Striper
04-05-2014, 01:11 PM
I'll take a Lido and the orange/yellow darter :love:

See Andy, this is the way to Ho!

stripercrazy
04-05-2014, 03:33 PM
looking great

JohnnySaxatilis
04-05-2014, 03:34 PM
you've been busy, awesome stuff!

tysdad115
04-05-2014, 03:48 PM
I'll take a Lido and the orange/yellow darter :love:

See Andy, this is the way to Ho!

Yes, but I fish with him ...I can just send Ty over to raid his bag while I distract him!

spence
04-05-2014, 03:52 PM
You've got to love it when everything about a plug just looks right, like you wouldn't change a thing. When you see that across a dozen styles it's remarkable...

-spence

iamskippy
04-05-2014, 04:22 PM
:rotf2:Oh dear! Now I have to be nice to you again.

ProfessorM
04-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Aw shucks . Thanks guys. Your great for my ego.

I also made all the lips for those plugs. I tied most of the tails today for the ones that needed them.

the greek
04-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Awesome pile of plugs. Simple, beautiful colors and styles. Workhorses that are also works of art. It's stuff like this that keeps me wanting to build plugs. Great stuff Paul.

pbadad
04-06-2014, 07:01 AM
Paul awesome work, as usual. I too like that old school yellow. If your brain can remember the formulation or something close chime back in.

Sgt Striper
04-06-2014, 08:26 AM
They all look great, Nice variety of styles and I love the colors.The finish looks super, are you still using the West System stuff??

rayndogg
04-06-2014, 11:29 AM
awesome looking stuff Paul thanks for sharing. helps keep me motivated and gives me ideas.

rene

Ed White
04-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Great looking batch of plugs, really clean looking all around, and I'm impressed that you take the time to make your own lips, I was looking at the Dannies and wondered where you found that lip. Are you cutting/sanding bending or have you got dies to punch them?
On another note, I've seen the turned up edges on lips like that on Cowboys, what is the desired effect of that?

Hookedagain
04-07-2014, 06:24 PM
The yellow and white Pencils and the lime and silver poppers are very sexy! Gerat looking stuff Paul.

ProfessorM
04-07-2014, 07:19 PM
Great looking batch of plugs, really clean looking all around, and I'm impressed that you take the time to make your own lips, I was looking at the Dannies and wondered where you found that lip. Are you cutting/sanding bending or have you got dies to punch them?
On another note, I've seen the turned up edges on lips like that on Cowboys, what is the desired effect of that?

Alas I did not make those pikie lips, the only ones I did not, but I did modify them with another lip slot lower on the lip. I used the modified lips on the Dannies and I flattened and rebent the modified lips for the Pichney jointed plugs. I made them to the dimensions Pichney used. I mill the lips out of stainless and bend on a brake. No sanding and burning my fingers:)I do not have punches as I don't make enough to warrant making a die. I make the lips for these plugs because you can't buy them and I really like these plugs so necessity requires it. The method I use is simple enough for me. The bent up sides give the plug a little tighter wiggle. Atom was the first one to do it I think and Pichney seem to use them a lot on his plugs like the Conrad and Dannies off the top of my head.

ProfessorM
04-07-2014, 07:25 PM
They all look great, Nice variety of styles and I love the colors.The finish looks super, are you still using the West System stuff??

thanks. System3 Clear Coat. Not a West System product I don't think. 2 coats on everything. Pretty time consuming but very durable so I keep on using the method. Probably the worst part of the building process. There are some fine bubbles in some of the plugs but you got to look real close and the fish could care less. I always dread the process and always thrilled when it is done.

ProfessorM
04-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Paul awesome work, as usual. I too like that old school yellow. If your brain can remember the formulation or something close chime back in.

Hey Billy I am pretty sure I used Golden yellow and added a little createx gold pearl in small amounts till I got pretty close. I have an original Musso darter in that color so I kept comparing till I got close. Hope that helps.

pbadad
04-07-2014, 07:51 PM
Is the Golden Yellow a craft paint color or createx?

ProfessorM
04-07-2014, 08:15 PM
sorry Billy. The company is Golden. A little expensive but high quality stuff. I mostly use Createx but do have a bunch of Golden too.
http://www.goldenpaints.com/

Feels funny to hear someone asking me about painting as I feel I am pretty vanilla, hackish, with my approach to painting. Compared to some of the guys doing plugs nowadays I am light years behind.