View Full Version : First time with the air brush

slingToad
04-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Built a spray booth and tried out a borrowed air brush today. Takes a lot of getting used to. Just searched the forums for some cleaner for a soak tonight.

Had some old white Createx which I couldn't thin just right. The other colors were new and worked well.

Thanks for all the good info in the forums.

Swimmer
04-14-2014, 06:41 AM
Opaque colors like white are more difficult getting through air brush nozzles especially if its a fine tip needle. Without thinning out the opaques I use an older Badger that has a medium tip and works fine. However, after each opaque color application I clean the tip and brush thoroughly
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

pbadad
04-14-2014, 07:46 AM
I concur w/ Frank. Opaques need a .5 needle to help with application. You don't want to thin the opaques too much for lack of coverage. i shoot also with an older Pasche then detail w/ .35 badger.

numbskull
04-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Sad thing is that I get worse with the damn things the more I use them. :confused:

Eric Roach
04-14-2014, 03:34 PM
Nice job, slingToad.

slingToad
04-14-2014, 06:07 PM
I must admit after painting 4 with the air brush, I did the last one all white with a rattle can. I got one really nice 1 out of 5.

Used the medium tip, then large, then went back to the medium. I'm using a badger 150.

Pearl and ultraviolet were easy to shoot. Can't wait to turn some more plugs to paint (and to fish).

Thanks again for all the help.

wrikerjr
04-15-2014, 01:00 PM
Those look great for a first time airbrush.

My biggest obstacle with the airbrush at first was I believed I could instantly paint like twisted, skippy, black talon, big fish, etc. Not true. Once I got passed accepted the fact that an airbrush is not a miracle wand, I got much better. My biggest hurdle was learning to throw less paint and learning to blend colors.

Personally, I had a badger and had bad results. Moved to an Iwata and the results become better and better. My biggest problem was learning not to go full throttle with the paint.

If I can do it anyone can.

wrikerjr
04-15-2014, 01:04 PM
lots of great airbrushing data on artist / airbrushing forums. One tip that really helped was using a higher air pressure. That is one thing I did and never looked back. This was recommended by an airbrush teacher on a forum. It really helped.

iamskippy
04-15-2014, 01:49 PM
lots of great airbrushing data on artist / airbrushing forums. One tip that really helped was using a higher air pressure. That is one thing I did and never looked back. This was recommended by an airbrush teacher on a forum. It really helped.

Great tip, Freak helped me with this one but the one thing i found harder with it is the control on the finer work. That just maybe me having to get use to it.

wrikerjr
04-15-2014, 02:15 PM
Great tip, Freak helped me with this one but the one thing i found harder with it is the control on the finer work. That just maybe me having to get use to it.

Everyone has to figure out what works best for them. I rarely do very very detailed work, but I can at the high pressure as I am accustomed to that. Also with the Iwata, I have the ability to stop the paint flow, which is my biggest problem.

I do everything free hand so I can get better. My mackerals at first eventually became all black plugs or complete repaints. Like everything is plug building you need to practice and tweak.

BigFish
04-15-2014, 02:53 PM
Rather than cutting your teeth on live plugs....I recommend getting some dowel stock from Homies and cut it into 6 inch lengths and practice on that! Thats what I did! It helps when you only have to worry about the paint and are not worried about ruining the plug! As WrikerJr says anyone can do it and eventually your skills will improve with practice! Blending is tough and takes more practice so take your time! Pick out a couple patterns you want to do and practice them!:uhuh:

Raven
04-15-2014, 08:46 PM
it glows- nice job