View Full Version : Vegetable gardens 2014

cheferson
04-17-2014, 08:54 AM
Anyone else got anything going yet ? Outta space over here already !

Most of the peas are up a few inches , fava beans poking through , carrots(18 kinds!) just up. Garden cress is blowing up , corn salad just showing . First asparagus tips showed Tuesday , honey berries have been blooming for a week . Mesclun and spinach transplanted . Garlic and potatoes going strong . Last shiitake log is loaded , just waiting to dry a bit before picking ! Horseradish is taking off , currents and gooseberries are fully leafed out .
Also tried a dug out raised bed with a cover for a cold frame this year . Got loads of spinach , mesclun , lettuce and pak choi hammering away inside . There was ice on top yesterday , and still was 38 inside !

The Dad Fisherman
04-17-2014, 09:45 AM
up until last week I couldn't even dig more than 2 inches down due to the ground still being frozen solid.....

I need to get the peas going soon...sugar snaps :drool:

been trying to get some landscaping/plants in around my house right now...

Swimmer
04-17-2014, 11:22 AM
Stil thinking about it
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ProfessorM
04-17-2014, 07:02 PM
no Asparagus showing in my garden yet, can't wait. Blueberries, black raspberries and apples are pruned, still need to do peaches. Rhubarb is up but nutin has leafed out at all here. Cold as all heck this morning.

Raven
04-17-2014, 07:21 PM
a friend told me that when you eat asparagus
it makes your URINE "Stink" and i thought "no way"
but after reading it again here and there i now "believe him"
i like it RAW straight out of the ground

I haven't started yet ...to many Doctor's appointments ...
foot is still on the mend not to mention it snowed again here

vineyardblues
04-18-2014, 05:00 AM
Stil thinking about it

I like how you think Frank,
I did a good cleaning ,,,,Aspar is already up ,,,went to homies and picked up black kow crap , 50 lb bags for 5.00

Raven
04-18-2014, 06:13 AM
my six inch deep wooden flat
so totally OUT -performed everything else
that making replica's is my first JOB

i never got around to it.... last year
I'm kickin myself now

Raven
04-20-2014, 10:21 AM
making 12 16" x 24" 5 inch deep boxes
out of a sheet of plywood
and some left over lumber

HEY Cheferson...... take some pictures and post-em

cheferson
04-21-2014, 05:23 PM
making 12 16" x 24" 5 inch deep boxes
out of a sheet of plywood
and some left over lumber

HEY Cheferson...... take some pictures and post-em

I would , but I haven't figured out how to post them on this sites mobile version .

cheferson
04-21-2014, 06:46 PM
ProfessorM ,

What's the latest you can prune blueberries ? Also when do start spraying them for catapillars ?

Raven
04-21-2014, 07:38 PM

peas can tolerate the heat Better if heavy watered
you can spray foliage in the morning allowing them
to dry ...water only the ground they're in during the evening
so they won't get moldy from a warm night....

i sent away to park seed for my innoculant because it doubles or triples my harvest
method used -1rst presoak peas -after swelling bag em
then shake and bake with innoculant turning them black
plant like that

justplugit
04-21-2014, 08:57 PM
The mind is willing, but the back is weak. :(

Raven
04-21-2014, 09:38 PM
lay a bag of unopened top soil anywhere
semi sunny
cut some small holes thru the plastic

then slow water it thru the holes til moist
then plant some seeds in the holes

Presto--->

Raven
04-21-2014, 09:41 PM
Cheferson,
you can always send me the pics first
countryraven -at- gmail dot com
i'll create a new album in my photobucket
and send you back the direct link codes
that goes for "anyone" having pic problems at S-B

justplugit
04-22-2014, 12:08 PM
lay a bag of unopened top soil anywhere
semi sunny
cut some small holes thru the plastic

then slow water it thru the holes til moist
then plant some seeds in the holes

Presto--->

Great idea Rav. :btu:

ProfessorM
04-23-2014, 06:56 PM
ProfessorM ,

What's the latest you can prune blueberries ? Also when do start spraying them for catapillars ?

You would like to prune all your fruits when they are dormant but I'd say you can prune anytime before say May, really asap if you missed the dormant stage with the blueberries. Also you don't want to fertilize fruit any later than early June as you don't want too much growth to not have a chance to harden off before winter. I have often pruned apple trees for a second time after the fruit is starting on the tree to get more sunlight onto the fruit so 2 prunings is not unusual for the home grower. So I'd say prune them asap is preferable as the dormant stage is passed as the buds are starting to swell now. I'd say spray as soon as you can notice any green, any little bit, showing on the buds. Looking at the buds will teach you when. That is what I am going to do and then I will spray again 2 weeks later then that is it for them. Other fruits is a whole different ballgame. Most of the commercial guys go by temperature, degree days, and keep a strict schedule. Home guys are not that fussy. Your County Extension Service is a great wealth of info for anything involved with plants and trees and spraying and pruning, etc... For the blueberries I am after the winter moths and they enter the bud very early. I wish I could remember when I did it last year as I hit it perfect. I will write it down this year. I used Sevin. That is the only pest I have encountered in the last 15 plus years that effect the blueberries and only for the past 5 years. Before that I never sprayed the blueberries but if I don't now I get zero berries. I need to look at the buds tomorrow as I have been busy and didn't this week yet. Hope that helps and not too confusing. Paul

Raven
04-24-2014, 05:28 AM
used to think bacillus thuringiensis (BT) was a great natural
kill all caterpillar's weapon for the garden until i noticed
how it turned the foliage a different color on my broccoli
almost as if it changed the surface.

i use different methods now.

Backbeach Jake
04-24-2014, 07:15 AM
Trying a raised bed in Truro. Small this year with a little room to grow. I cut plastic barrels into thirds removing tops and bottom. Filled with a 50/50 blend of compost and loam. So far I've planted cukes, sugar snaps, Kentucker wonder beans, Mesclun mixed with spinach. Next weekend maybe some tomatos, and herbs. I'd like to try some potatoes and onions as well.

The Dad Fisherman
04-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Thought this was a pretty cool Cuke Trellis....planting in pots.

http://www.pvcplans.com/Trellis2.jpg

FishermanTim
04-24-2014, 11:04 AM
I would love to get back into gardening like I used to, but my brother has taken it upon himself to "redo" the back yard setup.

Did I mention that he has ZERO gardening experience, and probably even less gardening knowledge?

Here's a few of his brainstorm ideas:

Decides to "try" and grow blueberries, doesn't treat soil, digs up raised bed of 5 year old asparagas (tossed asidethe crowns) and kept wondering why we got no berries?

built a garden pen to keep animals out of garden.
It's 8 feet long, 4 feet wide and 4 feet high. You really get your back stretching workouts in that bed.

After the 3rd time I explained why I didn't grow certain plants in the garden (too much shade from surrounding trees) I gave up and let him do whatever he wanted. Needless to say we don't get much.

last year we had all of the trees that shaded the back yard removed, and instead of seeing how thing grow this time, he wants to move all the rasied beds onto a crushed stone patio. That's right, he wants to move the AGAIN. I will do my own gardening, but I don't like it like I used to.

I do want to start a continuous compost pile, but I fear that he will find a reason to move that as well.....

Raven
04-24-2014, 12:18 PM
doesn't Sound like there's a 50/50 decision making
arrangement going on there

why is that?

Broccoli can grow in shady areas (all cole crops)

i grew it on the north side of the house
it only got 3 maybe 4 hours of sun there
otherwise just light

vineyardblues
04-24-2014, 03:01 PM
Alert ......
Grammy WoodChuck was last seen running off into the woods at .0001 mph
Beware my friends, now that the trap has no snow on it, i am going to bait it tonight and find a better home for grammy "..........across the highway 5.1 miles from my garden

Diggin Jiggin
04-25-2014, 05:52 AM
You would like to prune all your fruits when they are dormant but I'd say you can prune anytime before say May, really asap if you missed the dormant stage with the blueberries. Also you don't want to fertilize fruit any later than early June as you don't want too much growth to not have a chance to harden off before winter. I have often pruned apple trees for a second time after the fruit is starting on the tree to get more sunlight onto the fruit so 2 prunings is not unusual for the home grower. So I'd say prune them asap is preferable as the dormant stage is passed as the buds are starting to swell now. I'd say spray as soon as you can notice any green, any little bit, showing on the buds. Looking at the buds will teach you when. That is what I am going to do and then I will spray again 2 weeks later then that is it for them. Other fruits is a whole different ballgame. Most of the commercial guys go by temperature, degree days, and keep a strict schedule. Home guys are not that fussy. Your County Extension Service is a great wealth of info for anything involved with plants and trees and spraying and pruning, etc... For the blueberries I am after the winter moths and they enter the bud very early. I wish I could remember when I did it last year as I hit it perfect. I will write it down this year. I used Sevin. That is the only pest I have encountered in the last 15 plus years that effect the blueberries and only for the past 5 years. Before that I never sprayed the blueberries but if I don't now I get zero berries. I need to look at the buds tomorrow as I have been busy and didn't this week yet. Hope that helps and not too confusing. Paul

Paul, any recommendations as far as what product you spray your apple tree's with ?

I also have a peach tree that does well and produces a lot of fruit but a lot of the peaches get little green dots on the skins, should I be spraying them with something ?

ProfessorM
04-25-2014, 07:10 PM
I use an orchard spray. It has fungicide and insecticide all in one so easy. I have used this one below. You have to do it religiously, like every 2 weeks, to get good results. Pruning is very important with all fruit trees to get good results too.

http://www.gurneys.com/product/fruit_tree_spray/garden-insect-controls?p=0515548&utm_medium=shopping_engine&utm_source=googleshopping&CAWELAID=1889729361&gclid=CJPwt4bs_L0CFZRr7AodBUAAgQ

Peaches are very susceptible to fungus of many variety's much more than insects. But hard to say what specific one you have. I used to have about 7 peach trees but down to 2 now. Peaches are not very long lived fruit trees, unlike apples. Nothing better than a home grown tree ripened peach and peach jam. You could eat around the blotches as I had the same problem too but really doesn't affect the fruit taste wise. Nothing wrong with some imperfections on your fruit. Heck I would even eat peaches if they had a few worms in them as they would usually be around the pit and not the flesh going in from the stem. I would just bust the peach open and discard the pit and worms. The flavor is so good it is well worth it. People are spoiled by perfect looking fruit, which usually have no taste at all. I'll take an ugly good tasting fruit over a pretty one any day.

Reading this may help you. But you could use the orchard spray for the peaches too.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/fungicide-spray-product-peach-tree-64168.html

Diggin Jiggin
04-27-2014, 08:08 AM
Thanks Paul, I will give that a shot. My problem is once fishing season starts I don't keep up with it. The green spots on the peaches (peach scab I think) look like they can be treated with that same spray.

ProfessorM
04-27-2014, 06:35 PM
Yeah I don't keep up with much at all once that happens. That is why I am spending every waking moment trying to get my cottage interior work squared away, and wife happy, before the fish show up.

cheferson
04-28-2014, 08:25 AM
Thanks professorm !

Think I may just wait until this coming winter to prune . Most of the buds have really swollen and some have already popped .

Have you had any luck using thuricide for the caterpillars ? I'm not big fan of pesticides , sevin is little much for my tastes . How many people did it kill in that accident in India !? Gonna give em a shot of thuricide today . Heh , even ravens scared of this stuff though .... I bet your plants reaction was from the carriers and emulsifiers raven , not actual bt.

Really happy with the results using the row covers ! Makes a nice warm microclimate and keeps all the bags and animals out ! Only thing that sucks is the rain doesn't get through . Everything has really taken off! I will try to get some pix soon!

cheferson
04-28-2014, 12:55 PM
Looks like a few days late ! The little beetches were already going to town . These caterpillars suck ! My area is loaded with them ! I saw some injectable pesticide I may try for the ornamental trees. Maybe that would help get the population under control . In the mean time I doused everything in thuricide this am .

Backbeach Jake
04-28-2014, 06:19 PM
Went nuts and bought some asparagus crowns. My Greatgrandfather grew lots of it 100 years ago right next door. Bought my seed potatoes and onion sets, too.Thinking blueberries next year.

ProfessorM
04-28-2014, 07:16 PM
Hey Fred I just ate my first spear tonite. Only one but it was so good.

Raven
05-01-2014, 05:12 PM
here's a new term for you
just learning it me-self
>>>> CHITTING<<<<

getting Tater's to grow shoots
then hardening-em off with artificial light
before you set them out in warmer /dryer SOIL

http://www.highmowingseeds.com/blog/jumpstarting-spring-how-to-greensprout-potatoes/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=April%202014%20Newsletter

vineyardblues
05-07-2014, 04:59 AM
Tulips gone , grammy woodchuck eat all the tops off or the girl next door cut them. .lmfao
Wtf , i need a pellet gun

Raven
05-07-2014, 05:07 AM
then you'd know'd wha time dat critter
be comin aroun.... and be havin his pic

Swimmer
05-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Planted taters, peas, and lettuce entertain you, today.

ProfessorM
05-11-2014, 10:36 AM
coming in hot and heavy now. Yum Yum:uhuh:

Raven
05-11-2014, 12:52 PM
although the longer you cut them the less new sprouts
you get i've found ...

love this time of year !
catbird serenades
Sugarsnaps poppin up bigtime
Hummingbirds zipping around...
or stopping 3 inches in front of your sunglasses
to hover and look you over :rotf2:

ProfessorM
05-11-2014, 01:15 PM
The catbirds are driving me nuts. So loud and endless calls I get woken up too early.

Raven
05-11-2014, 02:32 PM
maybe your in need of some noise cancellation

they are most vocal when near their nesting habitat
and like the Mockingbird they have unusually good Mimicry
to make it sound like multiple species lay claim to a spot (bush)
similar to striper fishin :)

Raven
05-11-2014, 02:36 PM
where i set out some newly filled hummingbird feeders
big black bumblebee's have taken over our patio
so we cannot even sit there as they return to
the same exact 12" by 12" cubic air space like a machine.
(wife hates them)
so now i have to move them back out front

Raven
05-11-2014, 02:41 PM

~
noticing the superior growth and germination having purchased
the pea's inoculant this year after trying it without .

a major difference... supposedly the store bought seeds are
pre inoculated but it's not even close in comparison and
i plant them only 1 inch apart since my soil is like black Gold.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/sugarsnaps.jpg

ProfessorM
05-11-2014, 03:54 PM
maybe your in need of some noise cancellation

they are most vocal when near their nesting habitat
and like the Mockingbird they have unusually good Mimicry
to make it sound like multiple species lay claim to a spot (bush)
similar to striper fishin :)

Yeah they are closest I have heard to the mockingbird. My outdoor cats don't help either but at first light they just go crazy singing. I will say this though I will take the noise over the dead of winter any day.

Backbeach Jake
05-12-2014, 05:52 PM
I was pleasantly surprised at the progress of my little garden. Peas and beans are up and sending out tendrils, ready to climb. onions are sporting 2" leaves. potatoes are erupting. The mesculin and spinach will be pickable next weekend. Friggin mice have eaten all my sunflower seed, should have used some dried blood. Tomatoes look good as do the peppers, Bell and Jalapeno. The pineapple top feels solid to the soil so I have high hopes for even that. I wish that I could be there through the week, but it makes the weekend a little more special.

cheferson
05-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Still can't get pix off the Icrap to sb mobile vs .. Sent a few to raven , and have a bunch up on Instagram - riveggie .

Really happy how the low tunnels and cold frame worked out . Everything grew like wild fire and almost no bugs , other then a few slugs . Also trying out fabric pots for potatoes and a few other things . The bt has worked great on the catapillars . I have been spraying once a week more if lots of rain . The damage has been very minimal , even as they fly down from the trees . Seems I do need to trim the blueberries hard next winter , a lot have very few flowers , plenty of leaves . Prob doesn't help the deer mowed a lot of the early buds .

cheferson
05-20-2014, 11:06 AM
http://instagram.com/p/oOL24lF8Hl/
Cascade hops , anyone wanna trade some hops this winter for beer ?

http://instagram.com/p/oOMiR3l8IZ/

Raven
05-21-2014, 05:24 AM
re: *Sent a few to raven , and have a bunch up on Instagram - riveggie

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/peas.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/lettuce1.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/hoop-houses.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/code.png

* right above then n, in raven is the yellow mountain symbol icon
that is what you click to add an image into your post
and as you can clearly see i uploaded the cheferson garden pics to my
ravenob1 photobucket account "first" so they can be displayed full size
instead of appearing as a Link to the picture.

Raven
06-25-2014, 07:16 PM
still waiting for the slow tomatoes :smash:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/d5f516bd-8ac3-4b84-a529-bad9353961ee.jpg

brocolli
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/broccolli-2.jpg

peas a plenty

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/tallpeasonionsstrawberries.jpg

FishermanTim
06-26-2014, 10:22 AM
I put in peppers (bell and jalepenos) tomato (big boy and cherry)
cucumber, beans (wax and green) corn, radishes and carrots.

Only time will tell which will grow and which will get dug up by the PIA squirrels.
Our resident groundhog leaves our garden boxes alone and is content to feed on the native weeds and occasional fruit and veggie scraps we leave them. (they like old apples and bananas, and even wilted lettuce will not be passed up.)

Raven
06-26-2014, 01:14 PM
dug up by the PIA squirrels.

i don't know about your area Tim but there has been a HUGE increase
in chipmunks, reds, and gray squirrels with the extra long winter we had.

they spent the whole winter HUMPING

ProfessorM
06-26-2014, 07:49 PM
all the plants look great.

Swimmer
06-28-2014, 08:40 AM
Compost pile theft.........the two sea bass racks were removed by parties as yet unknown. However its good to know the same thief does not like coffee grounds or banana peels.

Raven
06-28-2014, 09:57 AM
yeah, i had some semi uneaten corn cobs (not primo)
taken out of the compost and consumed right beside
the pile.
meat scraps and bones go over the fence for the coyotes, foxes
and our frequent visitor (hard to capture on film)the BOBcat

Raven
07-07-2014, 12:29 PM
not to late to plant them !!!
i will be starting my second crop (always the best)
in a couple of weeks when i see a week of rainy weather
coming or a cool snap. they prefer cold to a point.

striperman36
07-07-2014, 01:08 PM
all the plants look great.

Your house is completely hidden from the road again

ProfessorM
07-07-2014, 01:39 PM
I am talking about other guys garden. Mine is non existent this year except for berries.

Jenn
09-14-2014, 02:52 PM
As the season winds down (for me anyway) how did everyone do? Tomatoes did "so so", cukes not good at all but summer squash, peppers and potatoes did great. Onions and blueberries did well, herbs were gangbusters...Ended up processing about 60 jars total this year. Some were sisters apples (of which there were not a lot of, I suggest you get what you can while you can as a lot of orchards are seeing very little this year) and my folks tomatoes but the rest came from my garden. Since the cukes did so bad this year I got very creative pickling other veggies. This year was way better than the last 2 combined and I probably spent less time in the garden itself (but I made up for that in the kitchen :) ) Not to mention what we ate fresh along the way. Overall I give this season a 7 out of 10.

Swimmer
09-14-2014, 06:52 PM
Dug my shovel in twice to get some Kennebecs for the wife to cook this week. Eight fist size taters came out in just two shovels full of dirt. The rest of the raised bed bears much promise. Thinking about doing giant pumpkins again next year.

The Dad Fisherman
09-14-2014, 09:34 PM
I jarred up 32 jars of homemade salsa 8 jars of Marinara from garden tomatoes.....that was the only high point though.

Raven
09-15-2014, 06:10 AM
been a strange year
very few ticks we've noticed
tomatoes got black spot
cold weather already here

PaulS
09-15-2014, 06:59 AM
The tom. came out fairly well (esp the yellow ones) as I pruned back some branches to give them a little more sun - still not full sun though. Cukes and peppers weren't bad.

Swimmer
09-15-2014, 03:58 PM
Ww are stilling picking beans from all four spots we planted. Bohght seeds at Whole Foods. Keep getting blossoms all summer and still today. Tomatoes are still coming. Chard still looks great. About forty squash ready to be picked. Some not so big. Purple and yellow onions should be done growing. Two more cukes on the vine. Peppers all rotted this year. Growing my own next year from Israeli red pepper seeds. Huge and tasty.

Fly Rod
09-15-2014, 05:44 PM
over whelmed with cukes...some tomatoes still ripening....plenty of butternut squash and 8 spaghetti squash....loaded with string beans and still picking

Raven
11-07-2014, 09:57 AM
i cannot wait for the Garden model (equivalent)
of this super strength suit....

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/05/technology/innovationnation/exoskeleton-superhuman-strength/?hpt=hp_bn5