View Full Version : 805lb MAKO FROM SHORE

jonserfish
04-22-2014, 10:53 AM
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/newshound/2014/04/805-pound-potential-record-mako-shark-caught-florida-beach

Piscator
04-22-2014, 11:36 AM
I'm tempted to call BS on this being caught from shore...in only an hour in top of that...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRBuzz
04-22-2014, 11:56 AM
More detialed news feed with video: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/florida-fisherman-catches-805-pound-shark-article-1.1763788

FishermanTim
04-22-2014, 12:14 PM
So how does someone cast a shark rod & reel far enough from shore to catch a fish that should have dragged them both into the surf?

Unless they are fishing near some extraordinarily deep channel right near shore, the odds of a fish that size just "happening" to pass by sounds about as likely as our government balancing the budget without using creative math to make the number work!

In other words, it doesn't look like this story would pass the BS stink test.

The video feed only shows them dragging the fish ashore.
How come there is no video of them fighting the fish?
I mean they took turns manning the rod, right? So one of them would have been free to video the other.

Somehow I just can't fathom one man holding a deep sea big game rig and reeling in an 800 lb. freight train of a fish. How come they weren't dragged out top sea?

Too many questions and too many variables to make me believe it was caught from shore.

I will admit if I am wrong, but only IF I am proven wrong.

Now, regardless of HOW and WHERE it was caught, that is one heck of a specimen!!!

PRBuzz
04-22-2014, 01:39 PM
The txt of article says they used a kayak to place the bait 300 ft offshore! This is not the first LARGE shark caught from shore by these brothers, the hold a world title on at least one maybe more sharks caught from the beach.

Why is everyone's first reaction DISBELIEF? Same was with Greg Myerson's WR striper.....

lamigsb1
04-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Believable, Yes. I have witnessed large sharks taken off the beach on similar setups in ft Meyers beach.

iamskippy
04-22-2014, 01:45 PM
great catch and hats off for him to give it to the community.

Piscator
04-22-2014, 01:53 PM
The power of a Mako is insane. The power of a 400-500 lbs Mako is scary never mind an 850 lbs fish. Maybe it couldn't fight in the shallows like they do in the deep. It's hard to believe but anything is possible. Reason I questioned it is If they paddled out 300 yards like it said in the article, how much line was on the spool when the fish hit and ran for the first time? Also, an hour is not
long for that size and type of fish....

seadogg
04-22-2014, 04:09 PM
A mako from shore? Ha! That'd be like someone catching a sailfish in the canal. When's the last time that happened? Poppycock I say!

niko
04-22-2014, 04:18 PM
the guy is a world class shore shark fisherman. it's the real deal boys. there is a whole cult of guys that shore fish for monster sharks. it takes balls and skills and he's got plenty of both. just because you cant do it doesn't mean it cant be done

niko
04-22-2014, 04:32 PM
and I also believe he has landed hammerheads bigger than that mako

FishermanTim
04-22-2014, 05:21 PM
How can they truly classify that as a shore caught shark if they HAVE TO USE A WATERCRAFT TO GET THEIR BAIT TO WHERE THE FISH ARE???

Sounds more like a couple of boat guys that couldn't keep up the payments or can't afford to buy a boat.

Now that the "particulars" have been explained (how they were able to "cast" their bait so far), did they explain how they were able to haul in an 800 lb. fish from shore by just using their own legs???

Maybe they will explain that they had themselves (and the reels) tied to their truck for "safety" reasons.

Boy, I don't know about you guys but I REALLY need to get out on the water!!!!!

jasonsnova
04-22-2014, 05:57 PM
I thought to keep sharks you had to have a hms permit from noaa? I know i have one.Those are issued to the boat....ie no shore fishing?????

PRBuzz
04-22-2014, 05:57 PM
Damn, you mean shore guys on Race Pt don't use kayaks to get their line out up to 1/4 mile from shore?

Me a boat guy has hooked their lines more than once!

niko
04-22-2014, 06:34 PM
you can register your kayak and get a hms permit for it

seadogg
04-22-2014, 06:45 PM
the guy is a world class shore shark fisherman. it's the real deal boys. there is a whole cult of guys that shore fish for monster sharks. it takes balls and skills and he's got plenty of both. just because you cant do it doesn't mean it cant be done

Exactly!

Raven
04-22-2014, 07:39 PM
that mako "was" big enough to eat some seals........
was my first thought

niko
04-22-2014, 07:56 PM
makos don't eat seals raven

iamskippy
04-22-2014, 08:05 PM
makos don't eat seals raven

Racists

Raven
04-22-2014, 09:25 PM
oh really...... just people .... thank god

niko
04-23-2014, 05:34 AM
maybe we'll get lucky and one will eat you, just kidding

BluesHarp
04-23-2014, 05:51 AM
805lbs! - For some reason I have a mental picture of a Fighting Chair jury rigged to the front of their truck.

One in the chair screaming directions and profanities. While the other drives up and down the beach like a madman drinking a beer and laughing his ass off during runs. :buds::

jonserfish
04-23-2014, 07:55 AM
805lbs! - For some reason I have a mental picture of a Fighting Chair jury rigged to the front of their truck.

One in the chair screaming directions and profanities. While the other drives up and down the beach like a madman drinking a beer and laughing his ass off during runs. :buds::

THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD OLE REDNECK CHARTER BUSINESS, EXCEPT THE WIVES MUST SWIM OUT THE BAITS AND THE KIDS CAN RUN BACK AND FORTH FROM THE CHUM BUCKET https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzXmQ8TzGDSswT5EGUmI6WKbWI0ai3g 6O-bMhjxvr-LK_2Vxr1 TO THE WATER AND WRING OUT THE WIFE BEATER EACH TRIP.
HERE IS THE CAPT https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSH2eHDOW1pXF9dlwkY1ogT1Q_aDfaxE vkciR1SjA5ga0LlJC12
HERE IS THE CREW
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbgMuhxTnqoFU7yePIsAMkgA_g1Zry0 e-z56bKNyeBXRwqjf4-Twhttps://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMmm1AZ9hLS0uQUoboYMuJ34ehMcRtR INnkvkXl4Z1TzfPHn8cIw

jonserfish
04-23-2014, 07:56 AM
THIS WOULD BE YOUR ONLY COMPETITION https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVeEPm6L7PSoUhA5oykOzSk6dml9utc KFuwZbMmOinLzCY7lvagg

FishermanTim
04-23-2014, 10:32 AM
you can register your kayak and get a hms permit for it

OK, but once you leave the kayak, the permit shouldn't apply.
The HMS permit is issued for a watercraft, and unless you catch the fish while in the kayak, why would the permit be applicable for shore fishing?

That would be like having an auto learners permit and saying that you are qualified to drive a train.

I do LOVE the idea of a fighting chair attached to the truck.
That would be a sight to behold!!

niko
04-23-2014, 11:16 AM
I don't own a kayak so I don't really give a fuch, why do you care so much - just wanna be right. good luck with that

Slipknot
04-23-2014, 12:16 PM
I do LOVE the idea of a fighting chair attached to the truck.
That would be a sight to behold!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bc-Cv9C-E8

one minute into the video, here's your fighting chair

there are lots of people who do this

Texas and Florida have many shore shark fishermen

Raven
04-23-2014, 06:10 PM
before the security went crazy post 911
there was talk of divers at the Hoover Dam
out in AZ that dove to inspect for cracks developing.
What they discovered in the 800 foot deep area
just behind the DAM was Catfish so HUGE they could
swallow a man.
many times SUPER heavy cord was tied off to a shoreline bush
only to find it was ripped from the bank the following day.

they'd jack up a truck remove a rear tire and bolt on JUST a RIM
and that was their reel . It took two people to operate it
one driving the truck and one outside the truck directing.

RIROCKHOUND
04-23-2014, 07:34 PM
before the security went crazy post 911
there was talk of divers at the Hoover Dam
out in AZ that dove to inspect for cracks developing.
What they discovered in the 800 foot deep area
just behind the DAM was Catfish so HUGE they could
swallow a man.
many times SUPER heavy cord was tied off to a shoreline bush
only to find it was ripped from the bank the following day.

they'd jack up a truck remove a rear tire and bolt on JUST a RIM
and that was their reel . It took two people to operate it
one driving the truck and one outside the truck directing.

Pics... or I call shenanigans...

Green Light
04-23-2014, 08:07 PM
WOW!

FishermanTim
04-24-2014, 10:48 AM
I don't own a kayak so I don't really give a fuch, why do you care so much - just wanna be right. good luck with that

NO I just wanna fish!

What gets me going is when a story breaks about a fantastic catch of gigantic porportions...and then the "but they had this, or they did that" quips start chipping away at the story.

One last kayak reference (I swear) that falls into this same category is the one about the angler that caught a marlin from a kayak. Great story, except that the kayak was launched from a larger boat out in the open ocean, and after the fish was hooked from the boat. It takes something away from the accomplishment when the true facts start getting leaked about how the did what they did.

I will give them credit for one magnificent catch!