View Full Version : Marine Seal once waterproofing

stripermaineiac
05-01-2014, 08:41 PM
I've seen a lot of this for sale up my way. anyone tried it or seen it down on the Cape area.Ron

Eric Roach
05-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Looks intetesting, Ron. Do you know how much it is?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

stripermaineiac
05-02-2014, 06:13 PM
Didn't think that far.Have to check on line or go back an look again.

Eric Roach
05-02-2014, 09:13 PM
Can't find any prices online. Have to call a retailer here in NH. Smallest packaging looks like 1 gallon.

afterhours
05-04-2014, 06:57 AM
Ronnie when I saw you yesterday I mean't to ask you about this. any links or info?

stripermaineiac
05-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Still looking. left a message at a couple of the local boat yards to see what i can find out.

stripermaineiac
05-04-2014, 09:49 PM
My other half found a bunch of stuff on yahoo with a load of sites. Eco freindly-65 a gal. Deep penetrating no VOC an non toxic. I'm gonna look at this a bit more closely.Spar is 48 a gal plus 18 for min spirits.so price is around the same.If it don't work I'll splash it on the deck LOL

numbskull
05-05-2014, 05:28 AM
Be sure it is not silicone based.

stripermaineiac
05-05-2014, 06:09 AM
Yup learned that lesson tyin jigs long ago when I tried using shoe thread. LOL doesn't take adheasion very well. Thanks for the reminder George.

Eric Roach
05-05-2014, 12:59 PM
I called Customer Support for New Image Coatings and asked some questions, here's some info from the notes I took:

No silicone
No issues with paint adhesion
Dries in about 12 hours
It is in use by a commercial builder from who has reported good results (he didn't elaborate, I didn't press)
End-grain is better sealed with a separate product they market containing a higher % of solids, or else ends may need several dips to fully seal.
Not a "shell" type of sealer, but penetrating.

If anyone is seriously interested in trying the product, I suggest several of us go in on a gallon to test it out.

Ron: I'd split the cost even if it turns out to be just you & me.

Eric Roach
05-09-2014, 01:43 PM
Ron: I picked up a gallon on Wednesday, I got it for $44 at Moynihan Lumber in Plaistow, NH. Let me know when you can meet so I can give you half.

I plan on turning some birch test lures and performing the same tests I did for the other sealers.

At the manufacturers recommendation, I will dip the lures three times. Following that I'll measure the lure's weight loss through the recommended dry time. Lastly, I will submerge-test the lures.

I'm making 9 lures:
- 3 with sealer only.
- 3 with sealer, dip-primer, spray-primer and lacquer base coat.
- 3 with sealer, dip-primer, spray-primer and lacquer base coat with (8) 3/32" punctures.

Marketing for Marine Seal Once says it penetrates 3/8", but doesn't specify if that's end-grain or not, so we'll see how it does.

I hope to start this tonight.

stripermaineiac
05-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Eric, i'm plannin on givin a test with bass wood,ayc,a couple pines I use andsome of the other cedars. Short term will be a run in with some blues as they do the most damage. long term will be rocks,stripers an just plain use.I'm planning to run the test plugs head to head with those I make now and see if the difference will be noticeable.One good way to tell one from the other is different color thread on the tails i tie ie,black on the test plugs and regular color on the others then do a similar color change on black tails.Going to be interesting.

Eric Roach
05-12-2014, 04:10 AM
Sorry I missed your calls. I'll seal a few with an hour soak.