View Full Version : STAMFORD HARBOR POLLUTED

Raven
05-05-2014, 08:53 AM
After heavy rains, 25 million gallons of raw sewage overflowed into Stamford Harbor in Connecticut

Finaddict
05-05-2014, 09:44 PM
That stinks ... and it's a tragedy ... not to be a kill joy ... but to be honest ... every August (as I grew up in the town next door - and fished Stamford Harbor a lot by boat in the 70s and 80s) ... every time we had heavy rains ... the water in the harbors and town beaches from Norwalk down through Greenwich and into Port Chester ... most of them would be closed due to high levels of bacteria ... the radio would broadcast open beaches and closed beaches on a daily basis, it was sad ... and reports stated that the bottom/mud of Stamford Harbor was filled with PCBs from years of factory dumping before they knew it was a problem ... and it prevented dredging on a large scale so as not to stir up the pollutants ... while I can only imagine the negative impact that has on the area and it's disgusting ... many of the harbors on both sides of Long Island Sound have been highly polluted for years.

Piscator
05-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

MakoMike
05-06-2014, 06:54 AM
Nothing unusual. Many of the towns in CT have the storm drains connected to the sewer system so that when we get a heavy rain it overwhelms the sanitary system.

zimmy
05-06-2014, 07:46 AM
Some nice shots of "the spring runs" on the Thames here
http://www.wfsb.com/story/25411274/sewage-cleanup-continues-after-millions-of-gallons-overflow