View Full Version : Sea Tow

nightfighter
05-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Just renewed for the year. Asked for any deals and got 13 months for the annual rate of $169.
If anyone decides to sign up, and chooses to name me as their referral, I will get $25 towards my next year's fee......

JamesJet
05-10-2014, 10:28 AM
I am thinking about it, but didn't think they covered Cape Cod as I thought it was a US Boat area. I will check and let you know for sure as its on my to do list for next week.

Guppy
05-11-2014, 06:33 AM
Would have but boat u s has a fleet around CC
it ain't cheap! Comes to $195 for, they get ya for a member fee $24, trailer tow $14 and top of line tow package.
I'm thinking I won't break down as long as I keep getting it! :uhuh:

PRBuzz
05-11-2014, 06:38 AM
I have used BoatUS for both on the water and insurance coverage on boat. My premiums are covered for at least 5 years with the payouts I have so far recouped: a water tow in Nov and a damaged lower unit. No complaints.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
05-11-2014, 10:06 AM
I use Safe Sea in RI. I don't think they are any better or worse than Sea Tow. I just have been with them 8 years. Only used them once and they did a great job.

nightfighter
05-11-2014, 10:53 AM
Only used them once. Needed to be jumped. 20 yards from the rocks right around the corner from harbor. BUT, I was playing hooky and couldn't call on my buddies who were working or would have blown my cover.....

seadogg
05-11-2014, 08:08 PM
My father owns the TowBoatUS out of New Bedford (we have two boats out of NB, one out of Dartmouth, and one out of Westport) and I've been towing for him 6 years now. Let me enlighten you guys.

First off, there are two membership levels. The unlimited membership, which the majority of our customers use, costs $149 annually, and essentially grants you 12 consecutive hours of towing per incident, which is basically like being towed from Montauk to New Bedford. In other words, more than most boaters will ever need. The unlimited GOLD package costs $181 and grants more coverage per incident and includes 100% coverage of home slip tows. Know that the $149-dollar membership covers only 50% of home slip tows, which is a tow from your HOME slip to any ramp, repair, or haul-out facility. Being towed from any other dock or transient slip is always 100% covered. I would like to clarify that included in the cost of either of these tow packages is the $24 BoatUS/ West Marine membership fee. Also, for you trailer guys, you can add 100 miles of vehicle/trailer coverage for a mere $14.

In regards to coverage, if you're boating in the Buzzards Bay/ Cape Cod/ Vineyard Sound/ Boston area, you're best bet is with TowBoatUS. If the cheaper price point doesn't appeal to you, know that we have more boats in the same geographic area. Many more. To put it simply, you're getting more for less.

Paul, you mentioned SafeSea, and I want to touch upon that topic. They have their own membership base exclusive to Rhode Island waters, but they're also the TowBoatUS contractor for Rhody. In other words, if you're a TowBoatUS member from MA and break down in Rhode Island, they come get you and you're completely covered. If you're a Rhode Island boater that frequently travels out of Rhode Island waters, you may want to consider a TowBoatUS membership, since you'd be covered no matter where you are in the US, including Rhode Island. If you boat only in Rhode Island, get a SafeSea membership. They have one of the best assistance towing operations in the country, so you're absolutely in good hands.

If any of you guys have questions or need further info, please PM me.

piemma
05-12-2014, 07:35 AM
My father owns the TowBoatUS out of New Bedford (we have two boats out of NB, one out of Dartmouth, and one out of Westport) and I've been towing for him 6 years now. Let me enlighten you guys.

First off, there are two membership levels. The unlimited membership, which the majority of our customers use, costs $149 annually, and essentially grants you 12 consecutive hours of towing per incident, which is basically like being towed from Montauk to New Bedford. In other words, more than most boaters will ever need. The unlimited GOLD package costs $181 and grants more coverage per incident and includes 100% coverage of home slip tows. Know that the $149-dollar membership covers only 50% of home slip tows, which is a tow from your HOME slip to any ramp, repair, or haul-out facility. Being towed from any other dock or transient slip is always 100% covered. I would like to clarify that included in the cost of either of these tow packages is the $24 BoatUS/ West Marine membership fee. Also, for you trailer guys, you can add 100 miles of vehicle/trailer coverage for a mere $14.

In regards to coverage, if you're boating in the Buzzards Bay/ Cape Cod/ Vineyard Sound/ Boston area, you're best bet is with TowBoatUS. If the cheaper price point doesn't appeal to you, know that we have more boats in the same geographic area. Many more. To put it simply, you're getting more for less.

Paul, you mentioned SafeSea, and I want to touch upon that topic. They have their own membership base exclusive to Rhode Island waters, but they're also the TowBoatUS contractor for Rhody. In other words, if you're a TowBoatUS member from MA and break down in Rhode Island, they come get you and you're completely covered. If you're a Rhode Island boater that frequently travels out of Rhode Island waters, you may want to consider a TowBoatUS membership, since you'd be covered no matter where you are in the US, including Rhode Island. If you boat only in Rhode Island, get a SafeSea membership. They have one of the best assistance towing operations in the country, so you're absolutely in good hands.

If any of you guys have questions or need further info, please PM me.

Thanks Seadogg. Appreciate the info. Safe Seas has been good to me and now I know why. Didn't realize that they are predominantly an RI operation.

Guppy
05-12-2014, 08:24 AM
Yes, thanks Seadog,,, I've been buying the Gold and see now that I could do with out the top of line coverage....

grumpy, Gup

thefishingfreak
05-12-2014, 02:12 PM
Check your Boat's Insurance policy You might be paying for that coverage twice.
With my policy (Ocean Marine) I am covered for $2,000.00 towing and they will also reimburse anyone who tows you in. Like your buddy towing you home from George's Bank.

seadogg
05-12-2014, 05:00 PM
While I agree that insurance is an essential part of owning a boat, keep in mind that many policies provide much less toward towing than what you just described. On the other hand, I've also heard of policies that grant even more coverage than that, but the truth is that your insurance company doesn't want to pay $2000 or even $200 dollars, and as a result of a large towing bill, your premium could increase. If you're unlucky enough to need a tow more than once in a season, and that does happen, you may be dropped altogether. Another important thing to keep in mind is that even with a superb insurance policy, you still pay the towing company out of your pocket, right then and there. On top of the stress of your engine needing a potentially costly fix, you now owe the tower a large sum, which is calculated from the moment they leave their dock to the moment they get back to their dock. It adds up awfully fast, and with non-member rates around $300 per hour (an industry standard) that $2000 dollars doesn't seem all that significant. A tow from Nomans to New Bedford would cost about that much for a nonmember, just to give an example. My advice? Spend your money on the reliable, professional service that TowBoatUS provides and avoid headaches and insurance reimbursements. That $149 will pay for itself many times over in just one incident.

Guppy
05-13-2014, 05:43 AM
Seadog, I'm guessing you guys could make a great reality show,,,
DEADLIEST TOW,,, I'll bet you've seen some butes. :uhuh:

Sea Dangles
05-13-2014, 06:53 AM
I watched a great tow last year at Gooseberry. Some chooch took a 40' right onto the knob,high tide and three tow boats later they were free. A nice course about reading charts would be suggested too.

seadogg
05-13-2014, 07:49 AM
Haha! Guppy, I'd like to plead the fifth on that one! There was a reality show on a few years ago that depicted some private marine towing and salvage companies down south somewhere. I never watched it but I heard it was ridiculous. Bunch of yahoos running around and fighting one another. Definitely not reality.

Chris, we took an Albin off the knob last year. High and dry, man. It was probably the same one.