View Full Version : Watertown Herring Run

Bill-C
05-23-2000, 07:51 PM
Well after weeks of work my herring live well is 99% complete. This should be a joyous occasion since now I can fish with live herring. However, I was down at the herring run in watertown today and after speaking with a few locals they told me the herring moved out about a week and a half ago. I was also told that some other runs on the south shore were also pretty dry. So, now what? I'm hoping that maybe this cold spell is what has kicked them out of the runs for the time being. I know last year I was catching herring out of watertown into July. Oh well we will see. I guess I'll have to fish in Truro this weekend without live herring. I'll try to get some anyway but who knows.

Good Luck to all...

JohnR
05-24-2000, 08:00 AM
Certainly not good news. Bill-C, I plan to hit that on Friday or Sat and will let you know what happens...Last year I was getting them through late June as well. Plus all the rains have kept the water there high and really kicking...

tobias
05-24-2000, 08:24 AM
I was there last Friday and was able to get herring no problem but Monday and Tuesday I was down there and didn't see any herring. I go down there regularly to check so if you guys let me know ahead of time I'll go down there and check for you. Could save you the trip. Last Tuesday the DEM was down there netting the herring and bringing them upstream but there was still a lot of herring around after they were finished. Hope there back soon.

tobias

JohnR
05-24-2000, 08:43 AM
Thanks Tobias, I'm hoping they hang around at least another month. Otherwise I'm hitting with eels. I'll be there Friday at some point to get some for the weekend. Last time I was there it took almost 3 hours to get 16. Hardly any were coming off the top of the falls...

tobias
05-24-2000, 10:12 AM
Hey John - I'll check down there tomorrow and let you know if they're there.

tobias

Bill-C
05-24-2000, 04:31 PM
Thanks as well Tobias,

I'm also planning on hitting the run on Friday so any info will be great. I was planning on heading down to check it out on my way home from work just to see what I was getting into. I'll also have 3 small kids with me so if you could let me know how the water is running (I'm sure it will be fast).

Thanks

tobias
05-25-2000, 01:55 PM
Was just down at the Watertown Falls and am happy to report that the herring are back! The numbers weren't as great as earlier but I think more will come in in the next couple of days. The water was real murky by the fish ladder but I saw them swimming around.

Bill - The water was running pretty fast after the rain we got last night.

John - Let me know when your heading down there. I'd like to meet you and show you my 6500cs mag. It's still not working the way it should. Hopefully you could shed some light on the problem.

tobias

JohnR
05-25-2000, 02:29 PM
Tobias, I might head there after work tomorrow if I can get out early. If not, I may be Ditch bound for the evening rush... I should know better tomorrow...

Bill-C
05-25-2000, 09:23 PM
Thanks Tobias. I also swang by there on my way home from work ( I needed a break from the traffic even though it was out of my way) I saw lots of fish and Seagulls feeding on fish on the opposite side from the ladder. WHich side is better to catch them from?

Thanks again.

BillC

tobias
05-26-2000, 07:19 AM
Hey Bill - Was down at the run again this morning and people were getting herring. It is much easier to get the herring on the ladder side since the opposite bank has a fence and would be difficult to get down to the water to say the least. Plus I didn't see that many over on the opposite side. Just stick to the ladder side especially if you have your kids with you. Good luck.

tobias