View Full Version : Deja vu?

DZ
05-29-2014, 07:39 AM
Interesting article from the Boston Globe 1977.

Nebe
05-29-2014, 07:42 AM
Everyone should read that and do a little thinking. If you don't learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
05-29-2014, 07:59 AM
Dennis and Eben, no one is listening.

I have resigned myself to face a moratorium withing 3 to 5 years. I have been watching guys kill multiple 28" fish in the Providence River for the last 2 weeks.

The classic technique is what they call "snag and drop". Basically they snag a pogy and then just let it drop until a bass inhales the pogy and an 8/0 weighed snag hook. I have heard of guys snagging a bass, land it and keep it.

NO ONE IS LISTENING!!!!

Sea Dangles
05-29-2014, 08:02 AM
Better late than never is what some with questionable common sense would say. Although I am no longer a subscriber, I picked up a copy of OTW at my barbershop yesterday. The editorial inside the front page echoed what DZs article just said in so many words. Yet, as far as I know they are still running a kill tournament, and the only reason conceivable must be da money.Sure ,there are bass available and still in large numbers if you are in the right spot,but the writing is on the wall. I talked to a friend in CT 2 days ago and asked him how the fishing was. He replied that he has not gotten a fish yet. This is not a guy who chases schoolies around with spinning gear, but he is an accomplished angler with many 50s over the rails. He has also won the OTW angler of the year from a boat multiple times and runs a charter business on the side. I suggested he look into fluke charters.

piemma
05-29-2014, 08:31 AM
Better late than never is what some with questionable common sense would say. Although I am no longer a subscriber, I picked up a copy of OTW at my barbershop yesterday. The editorial inside the front page echoed what DZs article just said in so many words. Yet, as far as I know they are still running a kill tournament, and the only reason conceivable must be da money.Sure ,there are bass available and still in large numbers if you are in the right spot,but the writing is on the wall. I talked to a friend in CT 2 days ago and asked him how the fishing was. He replied that he has not gotten a fish yet. This is not a guy who chases schoolies around with spinning gear, but he is an accomplished angler with many 50s over the rails. He has also won the OTW angler of the year from a boat multiple times and runs a charter business on the side. I suggested he look into fluke charters.

Chris, I agree with everything you stated. There are plenty of fish if you know where to look and how to fish. We have been getting our limit (4 fish) every trip. These are what I call keeper fish. My definition is 34" or more.

However, I have noticed that some of my "honey holes" are barren right now. Whether its water temp, bait, the cold spring or they just are not around anymore, I cannot say.

I'll have a better handle on the population in a couple of weeks. If my traditional holding spots don't light up, I will have to think that the general fish population is down.

The only bright spot I can relate is there was a worm hatch in Warwick Cove one day last week and there were millions of school fish on the worms.

afterhours
05-29-2014, 09:21 AM
don't worry guys- the asmfc has a handle on it :rotf2:. they'll make changes soon......or in 1 year errh maybe 2 years or propose to form a committee in the future... we've been predicting this for a LONG time. and to otw- make it a total no kill tourney or iust stop it please.

MAKAI
05-29-2014, 09:50 AM
For many years I could pick from multitudes of spots to fish shore or boat that I would feel confident about. The last few years those feel good spots have dwindled to a handful. Bait is at all of them. So relying on a beat to crap mother nature to replenish the greed of man is a fools errand at best.

Clammer
05-29-2014, 10:05 AM
GEEEEEEEEEEZ WE HAVE ONLY BEEN SAYING THIS FOR THE LAST 7- 8 YEARS ..

But even the ;[fisherman] on this && other sites ..............were calling it a Chicken Little ...The #^&#^&#^&#^&in sky is falling ...But what do we know

we only been fishing 50+ years , && have seen in in all phases ........

But the {FISHERMAN} that have been fishing for the last 10 -15 years .. wouldn,t listen ..they are catching we it must be ...the other guys can,t fish ........................... well the writing is past the wall ;;

I guesss seeing is believing >>>>>>>> If your eyes havnt been open by now .................. just put a #^&#^&#^&#^& - in hood over your head .................
you just don,t get it & never will ><><><><:smash::smash::fury:

Rob Rockcrawler
05-29-2014, 10:06 AM
Wow, he really nailed it. Just change the dates in the article and it would be about today.

snake slinger
05-29-2014, 10:20 AM
Things need to change and soon

Got Stripers
05-29-2014, 10:23 AM
Said that we are about to put cars on the road that require no driver, which will take you where you want to go, while you sit back and relax; yet we can't figure out a way to protect what we have for the future. I remember so fondly fishing the milk run of ledges I'd frequent out of Scituate, where ever spot held dozens of nice fish and your rod was bent all morning until you were tired of catching. A slow day was 50 fish, with several nice keepers and I'm not fishing bait either, that was all light tackle plastic. I remember wondering what was happening as each trip suddenly was less and less productive, where in the end I'd have to work real hard in a morning for 15 fish and maybe one keeper.

It got to a point, where I opted to travel an hour further to launch in the Westport River and at least have the option to catch a few more and mix in some bottom feeders for the table. I miss the old milk run, but have really enjoyed learning new waters and targeting species I hadn't had an opportunity to fish for. Not to mention the beauty of the Islands, so even on a slow day, you are happy to be on the water.

Game Fish!

FishermanTim
05-29-2014, 11:32 AM
Bring on the freshwater fish!

bloocrab
05-29-2014, 11:42 AM
...really enjoyed learning new waters and targeting species I hadn't had an opportunity to fish for...

Like this nice fanged scup I caught earlier this week,
sure...one makes a rebound as the other one falls towards extinction......system is screwed up

fish on everyone!....while it lasts

bart
05-29-2014, 12:09 PM
By far the worst start to a season EVER for me, and I think I've said that for the last 8 years now. Just keeps getting worse each season. Depressing at this point...

Raven
05-29-2014, 12:11 PM
I guess seeing is believing

in my doc's office there was a sign that said
"if it's not documented it never happened"

and herein lie's the problem with "fish selfie's "
or you never caught it... jmo

and the crappy attitude that "all fishermen are liar's"

you cannot merely say you caught a 40 inch fish
your required to prove it....

piemma
05-29-2014, 12:31 PM
in my doc's office there was a sign that said
"if it's not documented it never happened"

and herein lie's the problem with "fish selfie's "
or you never caught it... jmo

and the crappy attitude that "all fishermen are liar's"

you cannot merely say you caught a 40 inch fish
your required to prove it....

Funny you should mention that. i was getting my balls busted last week because I didn't post a picture of the 23# fish I caught.
I just pointed out that I haven't been killing.

chefchris401
05-29-2014, 12:44 PM
Bring on the freshwater fish!

this is what ive been doing lately, and its been a blast. freshwater is super relaxing and cheap, plus so much good water in NE, been hitting some nice fish too.

as far as striper fishing goes, my spring spots, which are usually lights out fishing by now in the east bay, have been the worst since i started keeping a log, 2004.

youll have one day of good fishing, but all the fish are small then 3-5 days of nothing, then one hot day and cold again

just look at the gotight scores and entries each week, youll see guys from up and down the coast, and the numbers are low.

im hoping its just a late late start, but every year it gets worse. :wall:

Nebe
05-29-2014, 03:03 PM
Where's cow hunter to say we are all wrong?

vineyardblues
05-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Interesting read DZ
I remember lots more bluefish in the 70s
Right Clammer .....lol

Clammer
05-29-2014, 04:12 PM
silence ><><:rotf2:

MAKAI
05-29-2014, 07:01 PM
[QUOTE=Got Stripers. I remember so fondly fishing the milk run of ledges I'd frequent out of Scituate, where ever spot held dozens of nice fish and your rod was bent all morning until you were tired of catching.

I remember that bygone era well also. Best tasting bass I ever had was from those ledges. I swear it was because they were always stuffed with lobster. You could taste it in their flesh.
You are what you eat.

bassballer
05-29-2014, 08:14 PM
Where's cow hunter to say we are all wrong?

Waiting to rake someone's name over the internet coals

numbskull
05-30-2014, 05:49 AM
I don't think the species is in trouble. The large YOY class from 2 years ago means there are significant fish in the pipeline to "sustain" a fishery.

What is happening is that since this YOY class will soon reach breeding age ASMFC has no reason to protect the remaining large fish. MakoMike would even argue that they are required by law to "utilize" these large fish and be sure they are caught and killed so as to satisfy the "Maximum Sustainable Yield" doctrine.

Since there have been a run of poor year classes most catch and kill fishing effort has been on large fish and that population is disappearing fast. This will only get worse because the ASMFC, driven by a predominance of members who favor continued maximal harvest (both recreational and commercial) over the quality of the recreational fishery, continues to take steps to perpetuate that harvest.

The mandate (and composition) of the ASMFC just does not serve the purposes of those who want a quality fishery (i.e., a widespread population distribution and large fish size). Striped bass management is a compromise and right now the interests of those who benefit from dead fish are prioritized over those who benefit from protecting live fish. Such interests are entrenched and unlikely to change. Once the large fish are gone they will lower size limits to allow harvest of the upcoming 2012YOY class.

vineyardblues
05-30-2014, 07:27 AM
this is how the goverment has control of the surf guys :smash:

Sea Flat
05-30-2014, 07:47 AM
I don't think the species is in trouble. The large YOY class from 2 years ago means there are significant fish in the pipeline to "sustain" a fishery.

What is happening is that since this YOY class will soon reach breeding age ASMFC has no reason to protect the remaining large fish. MakoMike would even argue that they are required by law to "utilize" these large fish and be sure they are caught and killed so as to satisfy the "Maximum Sustainable Yield" doctrine.

Since there have been a run of poor year classes most catch and kill fishing effort has been on large fish and that population is disappearing fast. This will only get worse because the ASMFC, driven by a predominance of members who favor continued maximal harvest (both recreational and commercial) over the quality of the recreational fishery, continues to take steps to perpetuate that harvest.

The mandate (and composition) of the ASMFC just does not serve the purposes of those who want a quality fishery (i.e., a widespread population distribution and large fish size). Striped bass management is a compromise and right now the interests of those who benefit from dead fish are prioritized over those who benefit from protecting live fish. Such interests are entrenched and unlikely to change. Once the large fish are gone they will lower size limits to allow harvest of the upcoming 2012YOY class.

You absolutely nailed this numbskull. That YOY class from two years ago was obviously a good thing for the fish and the future, but I fear it may have put a damper on any type of smart conservation tactics that may have been on the horizon.

zimmy
05-30-2014, 10:25 AM
one good young of year isn't much to count on to sustain a viable fishery, especially given the health issues and water quality in the Chesapeake.

afterhours
05-30-2014, 01:48 PM
has mycobacteriosis gone away? haven't heard much talk about it in a couple of years. :confused:

Rob Rockcrawler
05-31-2014, 01:02 AM
I always read about the Chesapeake spawn, how big is the Hudson river spawn compared to the Chessy? Also, YOY analysis is for the Chessy right?

wdmso
05-31-2014, 04:47 AM
Wow, he really nailed it. Just change the dates in the article and it would be about today.

and 37 years later we are still catching bass somethings worked.
but untill bass are removed from commercial fishing and return to a 1 fish (I like slot reg 32in-40in) at a federal level its kinda of pointless to ban the harvest here in MA if were the only state to do so

JohnnySaxatilis
05-31-2014, 03:47 PM
and 37 years later we are still catching bass somethings worked.
but untill bass are removed from commercial fishing and return to a 1 fish (I like slot reg 32in-40in) at a federal level its kinda of pointless to ban the harvest here in MA if were the only state to do so

This seems like the biggest problem to me, each state has its own regulations, it needs to be an atlantic coast wide regulation system

piemma
05-31-2014, 04:40 PM
This seems like the biggest problem to me, each state has its own regulations, it needs to be an atlantic coast wide regulation system

AMEN! Federal game fish status for the species.

Mike P
05-31-2014, 08:37 PM
You absolutely nailed this numbskull. That YOY class from two years ago was obviously a good thing for the fish and the future, but I fear it may have put a damper on any type of smart conservation tactics that may have been on the horizon.

How many of those fish will make it to spawning age, considering that MD netters can legally harvest 18" fish?

Recs can also keep two 18" fish a day most of the year, too.

Slipknot
06-01-2014, 11:11 AM
How many of those fish will make it to spawning age, considering that MD netters can legally harvest 18" fish?

Recs can also keep two 18" fish a day most of the year, too.

I heard it was dropped to 16" this year :smash::smash::smash::wall:

DZ, that certainly sounds like the present.:(

afterhours
06-02-2014, 07:34 AM
one word- flustercuck.

ronfish
06-02-2014, 08:08 AM
By keeping 18" fish as MD can they are harvesting a lot of the males and not necessarily the females. Would you rather they take the spawning females (those over 28") or the males? myself I would rather see the males taken leaving the females to spawn. Ron

MakoMike
06-02-2014, 09:20 AM

It already is. Most states are at 2 fish at 28 inches or greater, but any state can adopt more restrictive regulations (like NY) or use conservational equivalancy (like ME).

5/0
06-02-2014, 09:34 AM
It already is. Most states are at 2 fish at 28 inches or greater, but any state can adopt more restrictive regulations (like NY) or use conservational equivalancy (like ME).
New Hampshire is one @ 36" or greater.
Maine is 1 @;20"-26" and one @ 40" or greater.New Hampshire is the only state to hold it's ground for one at 36" that it great,MA. Had the same criteria back in the nineties.
The should bring it back.

piemma
06-02-2014, 09:45 AM
By keeping 18" fish as MD can they are harvesting a lot of the males and not necessarily the females. Would you rather they take the spawning females (those over 28") or the males? myself I would rather see the males taken leaving the females to spawn. Ron

Ron, not to be a jerk but your logic is flawed. ALL bass are 18" at some point in their live. What, you think the females go from 17 to 22" and never are 18".

bassballer
06-02-2014, 09:46 AM
1 @ 36. If it wasnt broke dont fix it.

5/0
06-02-2014, 09:56 AM

I agree,for some dumb reason RI. Was the first state to implement 2 @ 28" maybe it's just me but I feel that's going in the wrong direction.

piemma
06-02-2014, 12:02 PM

You should have seen the poaching and illegal fish taken during 1 @ 36" and 1 @ 34". My fishing partner at the time and I had a gun pulled on us when we challenged a guy, in the surf at Deep Hole, as he walked off the bar with 2 20" fish. No lie!

I agree, if we cannot get game fish status then 1 @ 36 will help. It won't stop the black market however.

Mike P
06-02-2014, 02:20 PM
You should have seen the poaching and illegal fish taken during 1 @ 36" and 1 @ 34". My fishing partner at the time and I had a gun pulled on us when we challenged a guy, in the surf at Deep Hole, as he walked off the bar with 2 20" fish. No lie!

I agree, if we cannot get game fish status then 1 @ 36 will help. It won't stop the black market however.

When I was a kid, some people were keeping 14" fish when the limit was 16". Enforcement may be spotty at best now, but it was non-existent then.

Pete F.
06-02-2014, 02:42 PM
New Hampshire is one @ 36" or greater.
Maine is 1 @;20"-26" and one @ 40" or greater.New Hampshire is the only state to hold it's ground for one at 36" that it great,MA. Had the same criteria back in the nineties.
The should bring it back.

Maine is one or the other, not both.

Sea of Atlas
06-02-2014, 03:01 PM
New Hamsphire is 2 fish; Minimum 28" only one over 40".

5/0
06-02-2014, 05:13 PM
New Hamsphire is 2 fish; Minimum 28" only one over 40".

Wow I just there spec's and I stand corrected, I had no idea they changed I wonder why after all these years.....

Nebe
06-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Ron, not to be a jerk but your logic is flawed. ALL bass are 18" at some point in their live. What, you think the females go from 17 to 22" and never are 18".

Actually, his logic is quite correct. Its a game of odds.. a female will grow to be a cow, while a male will grow to be only half the size of a big fat female. so, if you catch a 28 inch bass, the odds of it being a male fish are much greater than a female because they grow much faster. If a slot limit was in place, it would ensure that most of the females in the prime breeding age are far more protected than the males.

Maine has got it right.. also Florida's redfish regs are to be learned from as well.

piemma
06-03-2014, 01:39 AM
Actually, his logic is quite correct. Its a game of odds.. a female will grow to be a cow, while a male will grow to be only half the size of a big fat female. so, if you catch a 28 inch bass, the odds of it being a male fish are much greater than a female because they grow much faster. If a slot limit was in place, it would ensure that most of the females in the prime breeding age are far more protected than the males.

Maine has got it right.. also Florida's redfish regs are to be learned from as well.

Eben, if we were talking about 28" bass I would agree. Actually the discussion revolved around 18" bass at which point the numbers are not in favor of either gender. Because of the anomaly of males not growing as big as female bass, it only becomes statistically accurate after 28 or 30". All bass become 18". Not all male bass reach 30"

stripermaineiac
06-03-2014, 07:30 AM
Been hard at it for the last 2 weeks. amazing how many of the cell phone brigade aren't out there cause they're not gettin any calls about this pole number or that. Wonder why. the night fishing is very lonely as there are very few of us out there.but I know us old timers have just forgot how to fish.You kids gotta start listening or all those VS,Stellas,an Zeebass reels you got to make you better fishermen are gonna be some expensive yard sale food or dust collectors. Us old guys don't use cell phones at night. Think about the reports from everywhere about how slow the fishing is. The water temp,lack of bait,wrong tide,wrong moon,bein a googan an so on can only be used as an excuse so long.

Slipknot
06-04-2014, 12:24 PM
you're not that old Ron

ronfish
06-04-2014, 01:02 PM
Ron, not to be a jerk but your logic is flawed. ALL bass are 18" at some point in their live. What, you think the females go from 17 to 22" and never are 18".I agree that all the fish are 18" at some point but from my experience most of the fish that size are males. I can not explain it but that is what I have seen, maybe it has to do with the fact that a spawner drops so many eggs at once she needs multiple males around to provide enough milt to fertilize all the eggs.
Even if a female at 18" is caught enough will survive to reach spawning size and be "protected by a slot limit" so the species can carry on. Ron

ronfish
06-04-2014, 01:05 PM

Maine has got it right.. also Florida's redfish regs are to be learned from as well.I agree with you on the redfish of FLA also the snook.
Also the male bass only live about 10yrs; whereas the "cow" will reach 25+ yrs. Ron

Slipknot
06-04-2014, 01:17 PM
how the hell do you tell the difference between a male and female striper?
:huh:

5/0
06-04-2014, 03:37 PM
how the hell do you tell the difference between a male and female striper?
:huh:

If they drip like a faucet when you talk dirty to em,then you know you got a girl:love:

stripermaineiac
06-04-2014, 06:03 PM
one squirts white an the other squirts little marbles LOL

Rob Rockcrawler
06-04-2014, 08:56 PM
I think its the way they smell.