View Full Version : Laid up bass

seadogg
06-03-2014, 10:49 AM
Went out the past couple mornings. Found big schools of big fish laid up in a cove. I'm talking over 40 pounds. They reminded me of tarpon just sitting there on the surface. As I was drifting along I was spooking fish they were so numerous. Tried topwater and had a few follows. Tried subsurface and couldn't even get a look. Managed to land a few smaller fish to 20lbs but the big girls were smarter, following right to the boat. I thought my heart was gonna give out. Anybody ever see this type of thing before?

ProfessorM
06-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Yesterday, but not 40 lbers mostly high 20 and some bigger mixed in just floating along with the tide. My anchor line must have spooked dozens as they floated by. Scared me a few times too. As soon as the sun got up bite died but they were still there. Try at 4 in the morning before it gets too light but sometimes you just have to watch them and that isn't so bad either.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

capecodkid
06-03-2014, 11:32 AM
Try ripping a Stick Shad as fast as you can and stopping it dead in its tracks, worked for me when they act like that.

bart
06-03-2014, 11:39 AM
Was just having a conversation about this with a lower bay sharpie who now fishes out of a boat. He encountered the same scenario - all big bass finning on the surface, easily spooked during the day. He went back at night with eels and smoked them :fishin:

Rockport24
06-03-2014, 01:31 PM
yeah I was gonna say - go back at night. We have a super sharpie here on the site who slays monstahs in skinny water at night....

Cohenfishin
06-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Try ripping a Stick Shad as fast as you can and stopping it dead in its tracks, worked for me when they act like that.
Did the same thing one morning on the back side of the Elizabeth's last year

piemma
06-03-2014, 01:56 PM
I found some big girls this morning early. Everyone wants pictures so here's one. Not killed either she swam away happy as a clam.

iamskippy
06-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Boat fish dont count 😀

bassballer
06-03-2014, 07:30 PM
Nice fish paul

Raven
06-04-2014, 04:30 AM
that's a chunka...

Rmarsh
06-04-2014, 05:44 AM
Went out the past couple mornings. Found big schools of big fish laid up in a cove. I'm talking over 40 pounds. They reminded me of tarpon just sitting there on the surface. As I was drifting along I was spooking fish they were so numerous. Tried topwater and had a few follows. Tried subsurface and couldn't even get a look. Managed to land a few smaller fish to 20lbs but the big girls were smarter, following right to the boat. I thought my heart was gonna give out. Anybody ever see this type of thing before?

Casey: I was kayak fishing buzzards bay a few years ago and experienced something a lot like that.
Found myself in the middle of an acre of large stripers, so many that they where bumping into my kayak as I was throwing eels at them, bouncing it off their heads...no takes. They moved east towards the canal and were gone...at least I thought they were.

A little while later I hooked my largest striper ever, problem was I was using light tackle and couldn't subdue the brute. After about 30 minutes it was a standoff.
While holding the rod with one hand, I hand paddled the kayak closer to shore, and in ten feet of water I could see it.

Got the fish into the wash near shore, exited the kayak and pulled her in, but she spit the hook and was loose in the shallows. I ran to where she was and jumped on her but she literally slipped through my hands and swam away.
Still haunts me.

Rockport24
06-04-2014, 09:02 AM
wow, that's a cool story - especially the jumping on the fish part!

Rmarsh
06-04-2014, 09:58 AM
I know I've posted that story
before...but I relive that incident a lot. Despondent for awhile after it happened.
My apologies if you've read it before.

The Iceman 6
06-04-2014, 10:54 AM
That is a great story and can see why it would haunt you.

Rmarsh
06-04-2014, 11:23 AM
My hands never got to the fishes mouth where I could get a grip. Tried to just get a grip on the body.....but the slime helped her
wrestle free then out run (swim)
me.

I hope to get a shot at a fish that large again.

Ugh

piemma
06-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Nice fish paul

BB, it was lights out this morning right where I saw you last week. Awesome fishing at last. Let's see if it holds.

iamskippy
06-04-2014, 02:03 PM
BB, it was lights out this morning right where I saw you last week. Awesome fishing at last. Let's see if it holds.

what time tomorrow?

piemma
06-04-2014, 03:14 PM
what time tomorrow?

I thought boat fish don't count:rotf2:

Raven
06-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Casey: she literally slipped through my hands and swam away.
Still haunts me.

do you carry a gaff now?

iamskippy
06-04-2014, 03:41 PM
I thought boat fish don't count:rotf2:

Only if i am on board! :rotf2:

flyvice11787
06-04-2014, 05:31 PM
Fly rod ;).

PNG
06-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Yesterday, but not 40 lbers mostly high 20 and some bigger mixed in just floating along with the tide. My anchor line must have spooked dozens as they floated by. Scared me a few times too. As soon as the sun got up bite died but they were still there. Try at 4 in the morning before it gets too light but sometimes you just have to watch them and that isn't so bad either.

:devil2: :bshake:

ProfessorM
06-05-2014, 08:26 PM
LOL. Chris the Howdy is the only lure I have gotten a few on so far this year in that color. I lost a white one Monday. Good thing I make a lot of them. Lost a good fish on another white one yesterday. Did get a few to the boat, but they mostly mocked me all morning, still fun though.

PNG
06-05-2014, 09:02 PM
LOL. Chris the Howdy is the only lure I have gotten a few on so far this year in that color. I lost a white one Monday. Good thing I make a lot of them. Lost a good fish on another white one yesterday. Did get a few to the boat, but they mostly mocked me all morning, still fun though.

and found a few hundred yards east of the light