View Full Version : Cutty 2014 trip round up

nightfighter
06-22-2014, 06:10 PM
We often do this in the Cutty organizational forum, but thought I would post here to share with some who missed, or might want to come on a future trip...

Great trip with some of the best weather we have ever had (and we have been blessed with good weather over the past 13 years) Tides weren't what we prefer, but you just make do. While the fish count was on the lower end of the scale, fish were caught, and at least one first timer had a PB! Great group, some who were friends of members, but not yet members themselves. Yet... John's son was great. No way my son would have carried himself nearly as well at 13 y.o.... Ron Stripermaineac was a last day addition and regaled us with stories, history and knowledge. Not to mention he had three totes of plugs with him. I got my one fish on a natural mahogany junior Striper Bomb prototype he is working on. Thanks Ron. Any time with Slip is good times in my book. Chef and his buddy Scott orchestrated the kitchen so that we all ate extremely well. Chris Blondterror was everywhere... swimming, filming, making brownies.... I think he may have been high hook in number of fish, but not sure. Bob Huddy and his two boys continued their annual bonding weekend that this trip provides them, though Evan may have felt the older, "experienced" members were more than jaded after our conversation on the current administration, healthcare, and any other hot buttons we had on the table....:rotf2: I think we all will sleep well tonight, but I know that all of us left the stress of the past winter, work, and most anything else on the ferry dock for the weekend. I can't mention everyone, but thanks for coming. The place is spectacular, fishing is a bonus, but the people make the trip
One incident where korkers were worn in the clubhouse was the only bump in the road. Korkers are now no longer allowed even on the deck.
My thighs are still radiating heat from my sunburn... Friends don't let friends sleep that long in an Adirondack chair......:smash:
Next years trip is the weekend of June 12, 13, 14 with the new moon being on the 16th

5/0
06-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Sounds like a good trip Ross, Im going to be there next year. I will have to leave my camper at the cape for an additional weekend so I will be able to make it. Im sure the food was good and the story's where almost as comparable.
Nice to know you all have a good trip with zero incidents/other than the corkers.
Only 357 days to go.

blondterror
06-22-2014, 07:20 PM
Wow... I had a great time... weather was great and I did catch some nice fish on the 1st two nights but was skunked on Sat night.... here are a few pics that show Ross's mid afternoon nap and the amazing weather we all enjoyed.... Top 3 fish were caught by Chef, Scott, and Slip. Slip actually caught a nice 22 lb 37 inch fish on his friggin 1st cast of the evening... I was next to him

last picture shows Numbskull and Sauerkraut arriving in their new surfcasting "ride" that allows them to access all the prime spots on the Elizabeth island chain....

Sea Dangles
06-23-2014, 06:24 AM
Sounds like a great time as usual. Decent fishing is like frosting on the cake. I wish I had a chance to stop in but the overnights to pork chop take a lot of wind out of my sail.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Clammer
06-23-2014, 06:42 AM
Great write up Ross.:buds:

I miss that place & the fun we had there ..personally my time there was awesome , because of the friends I met & the personal challangers that were going on .I,ll be forever greatful :love:

ProfessorM
06-23-2014, 06:58 AM
Looks like a great time. Next year I am going to try my darnedest

Slipknot
06-23-2014, 08:22 AM
Good times, great food and the usual stumbling around on moonrocks made for a good getaway weekend.

Ross, 20 minutes wasn't that long a time, I'll put up an umbrella for you next time.

Clammer, your name was brought up a few times :btu:

That Island is always special, good to see you guys and meet some new guys as well.

Nebe
06-23-2014, 08:56 AM
Jealous! Next year I will go.

blondterror
06-23-2014, 09:48 AM
here are a bunch of my top images from the weekend.... trying to capture the beauty of this special place

blondterror
06-23-2014, 09:50 AM
more pics...

SW corner shoreline

blondterror
06-23-2014, 09:51 AM
more pics...

blondterror
06-23-2014, 09:55 AM
last set of pics that include my BIL's new ride... Reg 28... need to get it bloody ASAP

zimmy
06-23-2014, 10:35 AM
Man that place is pretty. Maybe next year.

Rockport24
06-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Sounds like yet another awesome weekend. And are you kidding me, they landed the helo right there by the club? That's awesome! I always wondered if anyone actually did that there...

Clammer
06-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Slip the times at the Cutty Club were great .

But the 1st time at Greg B house in that pouring rain & sleeping on the floors was classic ><><>:bgi:

chris L
06-23-2014, 12:03 PM
Glad everyone had a good time . Awesome place to visit and fish

chefchris401
06-23-2014, 12:30 PM
ill upload some pics later, still havent unpacked from yesterday.

was a great trip overall, fishing was great for some, slow for others, but not from lack of trying.

daytime bite was good for one or two topwater fish during scouting missions.

island is just amazing, we covered a lot of areas, rocks, beaches, coves, etc.

darters where the go to for the most part, various colors.

i took some nice fish on the pt jude wobblehead rigged iwth a got stryper tail fished close to the bottom and slow.

food was great, company was great, couldnt have asked for better weather, surf could have been bigger and tides could have been better, but we made the most out of it.

my buddy got his pb, 43" and 29lbs, on his first trip to the island, would of loved to see it go pass 30, but it just wouldnt do it, was one of the biggest widest 29lb fish ive seen. got some pics on the digital of it

interesting thing i observed was that all the fish i caught and talking to everyone else all on sea lice on em, so these are fresh fish just moving up, so maybe the season wont be 100% awful, buddies are seeing the same thing locally all around rhody and mass. so heres to hoping its just 4-6 weeks behind :buds:

RickBomba
06-23-2014, 01:35 PM
I will be there next year, for sure. Probably take the week before off for the Cape and then come right there with you guys.

stripermaineiac
06-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Was a sweet trip. The food was great. the weather was unbeleivable. Found a few nice rocks that need more looking into the next trip. thanks much Ross and the rest of you that set these trips up and John i hope your son catches a nice LARGE on that plug. tight lines all. the season has just started. Thanks Ron

johnny ducketts
06-24-2014, 07:08 AM
Looks Awesome guys, my prior commitment pulled me away, but I swear next year!!

piemma
06-24-2014, 09:07 AM
it's on my bucket list

Zeno
06-24-2014, 10:42 AM
Me too..its been a long time since I've seen many in the crew

Zeno
06-24-2014, 01:43 PM
for those of you who have never been..an aerial view
http://youtu.be/JBcFHOZdaeY
(sorry, I don't know how to "post' a video with screen)

Finaddict
06-24-2014, 07:42 PM
An awesome place and an awesome time ... thanks for sharing the photos and updates

wdmso
06-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Hows the Island for boat access for a day trip with the wife ? or not

blondterror
06-24-2014, 09:15 PM
several of the better spots actually fish better from shore but there are several great spots to fish by boat and you can always shoot over to both Robinsons and Quicks Hole... you can also get fresh oysters in Cutty harbor that are fantastic

rphud
06-24-2014, 09:34 PM
Best weather ever, and awesome bunch of folks to hang out with. Great time with the boys again. Evan and I caught a fish each (and that's all I have to say about that), Justin his annual PB. This year about 41" and maybe 28lbs. That will make next year a challenge to the streak! Have to make an effort to fish with the crew away from Cutty for the next 12 months! Maybe an impromptu "leg" or two at CCC, Newport, North Shore and ME! Great to have Liam along. Stories of debauchery survival were kept to the bare minimum. Thanks to all for the efforts and good stuff, especially Chef, Ross and Chris (BT) for the arrangements of the three essentials! Three again next year!

RIROCKHOUND
06-25-2014, 08:04 AM
it's on my bucket list
Name the weekend next year...

JohnR
06-25-2014, 09:09 AM
Name the weekend next year...

I would suggest one of our weekends as logistics are better.

RIROCKHOUND
06-25-2014, 09:49 AM
If it works schedule-wise John.. I've been there before, and somewhat remember the drill...

piemma
06-25-2014, 10:16 AM
If it works schedule-wise John.. I've been there before, and somewhat remember the drill...

Why not a Fall trip? The Block has sucked in the Fall and Brian, Spence and I have done it a few times. Time for a change.

RIROCKHOUND
06-25-2014, 10:40 AM
My schedule gets tougher in the fall, but might be possible....