View Full Version : Problems with Windows

GregW
06-24-2014, 01:51 PM
I recently had my hard drive crash and had to have it replaced. When it was back at Dell- they installed a new hard drive and re-installed windows. Windows has been working INCREDIBLY slow. After 2 - 6 hour sessions with Dell and another shorter session- they say the computer is up to speed. It is not anywhere near as fast as i originally sent it in (before the hard drive failed). I have barely anything on the laptop- so it is not a virus.
Any programs to try and get the computer running up to speed again?
It has a I7 and 8 GB of ram and is running on the high performance mode. Still crawling. Any ideas for programs to download or anything to get it running right?

iamskippy
06-24-2014, 03:44 PM
Windows 8.1?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

GregW
06-24-2014, 04:27 PM
Windows 8.1?

Windows 7- 64 bit version
Was previously running extremely fast. Initial alarm bell other than being slow was it would not update. Now windows uopdate will go thru but it is still incredibly slow.

Redsoxticket
06-24-2014, 04:27 PM
Do you define slow as Internet connection or stand alone programs that do not require an Internet connection.
If former then try a hardwire connection instead of Wi-Fi and if stand alone punt it towards the goal post.

iamskippy
06-24-2014, 04:33 PM
Great questions there from RST, interested in the responce. If you had a pre SP1 install (didnt update the service pack ) the machine would be a screamer, SP1 does slow em down a tad but nothing that should be noticeable with your specs. Can you please confirm it is a 64 bit installation, 32 would hurt.

Raven
06-24-2014, 07:41 PM
when you hit control/ alt / delete
(3 finger salute)
and then select task manager
what does it say it's doing (whats running)

MAYBE you should set everything back to defaults
or at least make sure it's allowed to update itself
periodically just so it isn't trying to run ...say....the defrag program
automatically on a set schedule

GregW
06-24-2014, 08:21 PM
Do you define slow as Internet connection or stand alone programs that do not require an Internet connection.
If former then try a hardwire connection instead of Wi-Fi and if stand alone punt it towards the goal post.

Both.

Zeal
06-24-2014, 08:55 PM
when you hit control/ alt / delete
(3 finger salute)
and then select task manager
what does it say it's doing (whats running)

MAYBE you should set everything back to defaults
or at least make sure it's allowed to update itself
periodically just so it isn't trying to run ...say....the defrag program
automatically on a set schedule

This. Also it will show you how much juice each program/process is taking up.

What Antivirus program are you using? That could also be on Default and slowing things down.

There is a possibility that the hard drive wasn't the only thing that went in the crapper. It could have "taken other parts with it" but they were up to snuff by factory standards. Though this might be a stretch.

Make sure all your drivers are up to date as well. May be possible that there was a driver released to fix your issue concerning the hardware problem (the original hard drive could have been a model they don't use anymore and the replacement could give a compatibility problem).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

fishaholic18
02-24-2015, 10:36 PM
For sh!ts run AIO from tweaking.com