View Full Version : Wire & lead core rod & reel suggestions

BasicPatrick
06-25-2014, 10:23 AM
Greetings,

Althought we all know God Hates Wire there are times it is the right technique to use. I havent been keeping up with the evolution of wire line tackle so I am looking for some recommendations.

I am not interested in custom rods or super high end as I feel its just not needed for wire & lead core fishing. I am not looking to go on an ebay hunt for discontinued tackle, looking for current models.

I want to set up two rods each with a reel for wire jigging and a reel for lead core trolling? Will add a third (aka back up) as finances allow.

What is the factory wire line rod of choice these days?
What is the wire line reel of choice for jigging and trolling these days?
What is the lead core trolling reel of choice these days?

Thanks in advance

Mike J.
06-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Get 4/0 senators for both wire and leadcore! Tsunami has a wire line series Rod that I have used for 2 seasons now with no problems, For the leadcore rod get a 7' rod that has a slow action rated 30-50#.

ProfessorM
06-25-2014, 01:00 PM
I have always used jigmasters for lead core. Nice and light and plenty capable and easy maintenance. Rods I like a softer tip 7 foot rod. I got my rods from CMS 15 years ago so not up on new production rods.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Guppy
06-25-2014, 01:39 PM
for leads I'm using penn 4/0 on 6-6 star Slow rods, not especially by choice but by chance, deal I couldn't refuse the deal years ago,,
make sure to put a swivel between the lead and leader,,,, try to get the lead out of the braid to tie the knot at the leader.
like Paul said, the jigmaster will work fine also, the 4/0 may be a little over kill but not by much

for wire I'm running same gear for 40 yrs. :uhuh:
Penn double lever 349's on 6-6 Harnel telephone poles.
100 yrds wire, split 50/50 with a generous pcs of Dacron between the two 50's

go get um :)

Sea Dangles
06-25-2014, 01:57 PM
I have a couple nice CMS rods with the 113H reels all spooled up with wire I would give up for an exceptional deal. If you are going to spend money,you would be getting very nice gear for an average price.

beamie
06-25-2014, 03:42 PM
I have a couple nice CMS rods with the 113H reels all spooled up with wire I would give up for an exceptional deal. If you are going to spend money,you would be getting very nice gear for an average price.

That sounds like a deall right there.

I was going to say go with CMS rods for wire. I would not call them custom just small scale productions that lots of B&T sell. I would suggest they have the roller top. Some have just the reg top and I find it to have too much friction.

ProfessorM
06-25-2014, 03:49 PM
I would buy Chris's rods

BasicPatrick
06-25-2014, 04:12 PM
I don't want to give the impression I am not aware of wire line use and tackle. Just shopping for what I am going to put on the new (to me) boat.

If I was to go with new hand tied blanks (which is an option) I will cal Steve Morris at #^&#^&#^&#^&s B&T and get his as I have used and like his build for wire rods. I am just frankly trying to not spend as much as I don't jig often. God Hates Wire.

I am not interested in recent CMS rods…truth is the quality of what I have seen recently is not what they were even five years ago. I have already sent Mr. Dangles a message as the older CMS rods do interest me and if the reels are the High Speed then my search could be over.

Paul…have you had any spool corrosion issues with your jig masters. I sold Beetle a couple of the last good ones with the steel spools some years ago and wish today I had not done so…lol.

Thanks All

If anyone has any experience with the Tsunamis, Seeker etc please chime in.

ProfessorM
06-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Patrick I only use stainless spools the alum are junk and the chrome over brass is just slightly better. I was lucky enough to buy a bunch of spools off eBay years ago along with several brand new in the box 20 year old red side plate jigmasters. Got 3 brand new back ups in case. I really love the simplicity of these reels and the weight of the 113's is not for me. Good luck.