View Full Version : And the hits keep coming

nightfighter
06-27-2014, 05:46 AM
Replaced the sending unit in the tank. Now the Yamaha digital multifunction gauge is suspect, blinks, works, goes out.... So pulling out that 3 3/8" round gauge, mounting a square piece of 1/2" PVC board and cutting a hole for a 2" round static fuel gauge.... Just need to go!
So here is my question. Who has installed a fuel management system? I would consider something along the lines of a Navman 2100 system so I can monitor exactly what is being burned and at what rate. This seems to be the logical thing since depending on a fuel gauge float on a boat seems to lack in the accuracy department.....

paradoxjim
06-27-2014, 01:56 PM
The Yamaha unit on my boat is scary accurate. If it says I have burned 50 gallons, I can't even think about getting 50.5 into the tank! I'd replace look to replace it with the same for my money.

My Raymarine couldn't find itself this weekend; kept showing a chart for Biscayne Bay, FL (might be nice in January!). They tell me the satellite standard has changed and I need a new receiver and a conversion piece, the tech said that he's already repaired 10 older Raymarines this year. It's always something.

Van
06-27-2014, 03:06 PM
I installed one that communicates with my Garmin and displays all the data if I select it. It was a nightmare of confusing NMEA wiring, but I got it.....eventually.

The good thing is it knows how far I traveled by GPS so I get MPG.
A stand system alone only gives GPH and total fuel, unless there is communication with a GPS you have to calculate the rest. It sounds like the one you talking about is NMEA linked.

Consider this:
In my system, there is a bit of error between the system and actual fuel burned. My ETEC burns so little fuel at trolling speed or idle it can't detect it too well (I troll a lot and never shut the engine off during a fishing day). I also have a fuel gauge that I rely on. When the gauge reads close to empty, that is when I fill again. The management system says I still have more fuel than actual.

So I'm not sure if the one you are considering can do all that.. I guess do plenty of research. The guys on THT (boat electronics) are real knowledgeable.

Raider Ronnie
06-27-2014, 07:47 PM
I have a wooden stick for a fuel gauge.
Never fails me !

Van
06-27-2014, 08:01 PM
Never fails me !

You using Obama's nose?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Guppy
06-28-2014, 05:37 AM
Never fails me !
Fond memory, had the same gauge way back when

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=59421&stc=1&d=1403951702

60 gal. At transom

Raven
06-28-2014, 10:57 AM
even a caged bear can do tricks

piemma
06-29-2014, 01:15 AM
even a caged bear can do tricks

OK, I give up. Raven, pray tell, what the hell does this mean?????

Raven
06-29-2014, 05:57 AM
oh you didn't here OBAMA"S reference to himself
that heal feels like a Bear in a Cage.....

didn't mean to derail ya there...

i was just thinking that it's too bad
that ya can't list boat repairs as a tax deduction
claiming that being on the water is necessary
for your SANITY

nightfighter
06-29-2014, 06:41 AM
Just about lost my sanity yesterday....
Got gauge installed, boat loaded and fueled, then launched on 1300 high tide. Started right up on battery one, and headed out at 5 mph. Going through all systems, but no water to live well/washdown. Got my head down under to find both in and out hoses to pump disconnected. Quick fix after wrestling hoses back into position.
Ran out to troll up some macs, and notice the remaining Yamaha digital tach and trim gauge is not working, or showing jibberish... So now both gauges are junk??? What has changed, other than to replace the (other) fuel gauge? Still thinking on that...
So now on both batteries to run around for half hour. Switch to one as I drift macs along shore (tight) with a surge. Occasionally start up to pull away from the rocks. Running GPS and livewell. After a couple fish, I go to start up again, and no go. Check switch, and change to other battery. Not enough juice. Tide has started to turn, but I am tight.... Too tight to get an anchor to bite with any scope. I throw it as far as I can anyway and grab a needle plug, because it had the largest trebles I saw on first glance. After half a dozen casts I was lucky enough to "catch" a lobster buoy and gently pull my way 50 yards further out.
In the end, I got one of my nephews to pick up a battery pack from his club and he brought it out to me. (Had Seatow on the phone, and they were two hours out) Got it going by jumping battery one, AND squeezing the fuel ball, which was softer than I would like (another issue to look into and probably replace).
So it appears this will be my season of getting the gremlins out. The better half had already gone to PepBoys and replaced my Westmarine battery pack with Duralast 900 amp pack.

So, after I get my 4-5 year old batteries' cells tested, what batteries are people using these days.....

Raider Ronnie
06-29-2014, 05:39 PM
You using Obama's nose?

Oh no.
Use that for when someone plugs up the #^&#^&#^&#^&ter

Raven
06-30-2014, 05:44 AM
:lurk:

Van
06-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Got gauge installed, boat loaded and fueled, then launched on 1300 high tide. Started right up on battery one, and headed out at 5 mph. Going through all systems, but no water to live well/washdown. Got my head down under to find both in and out hoses to pump disconnected. Quick fix after wrestling hoses back into position.
Ran out to troll up some macs, and notice the remaining Yamaha digital tach and trim gauge is not working, or showing jibberish... So now both gauges are junk??? What has changed, other than to replace the (other) fuel gauge? Still thinking on that...
So now on both batteries to run around for half hour. Switch to one as I drift macs along shore (tight) with a surge. Occasionally start up to pull away from the rocks. Running GPS and livewell. After a couple fish, I go to start up again, and no go. Check switch, and change to other battery. Not enough juice. Tide has started to turn, but I am tight.... Too tight to get an anchor to bite with any scope. I throw it as far as I can anyway and grab a needle plug, because it had the largest trebles I saw on first glance. After half a dozen casts I was lucky enough to "catch" a lobster buoy and gently pull my way 50 yards further out.
In the end, I got one of my nephews to pick up a battery pack from his club and he brought it out to me. (Had Seatow on the phone, and they were two hours out) Got it going by jumping battery one, AND squeezing the fuel ball, which was softer than I would like (another issue to look into and probably replace).
So it appears this will be my season of getting the gremlins out. The better half had already gone to PepBoys and replaced my Westmarine battery pack with Duralast 900 amp pack.

So, after I get my 4-5 year old batteries' cells tested, what batteries are people using these days.....

That is a scary situation. I had that once when my shift cable broke and i could not get the engine into gear. I was really close to rocks, but got the hook to bite good and waited for seatow.

Maybe all the problems with the gauges has just been low power (amperage). Electronics are sooo finicky.. Replace both batteries and see what the gauges do. As for batteries, I just get nice big lead acids ones. Not a fan of the AGMs heard too many gripes. I am getting 6-7 years on my batteries, I keep them charged with an onboard charger and check them often.

I guess you have to be sure your engine is charging correctly too. I have a readout of voltage on my Furuno FF. It read close to 14vdc when the engine is running, around 12 with the engine off. (which like I said I rarely do, especially if I am close to shore, rocks etc.....

piemma
06-30-2014, 03:55 PM

Ross, I'm running big truck batteries. Old fashioned lead ones. I think 4 or 5 years right now with no issues.

beamie
06-30-2014, 04:52 PM
Ross,

I buy the 2 biggest Sears Diehard Deep cycle I can. I think I have 2 group 31's at present. they have been fine for my V8 350 inboard.

You did good getting 5 years on your batteries that is about right.

nightfighter
06-30-2014, 05:36 PM
So two deep cycle as opposed to one deep cycle and one cranking?

beamie
06-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Thats what I use. I know it may not be text book but the cranking amps of a big deep cycle does fine by my book. I run always in both go down to when if drifting with acces and baitwell on.

nightfighter
06-30-2014, 05:51 PM
Thanks. This is the type if discussion I was looking for.

zacs
07-01-2014, 09:45 AM
yesterday at the ramp, I had the boat winched 99% up, and the strap snapped. i have a roller trailer so the boat started sliding back down. I jumped quick, yelled to warn anyone behind, and scrambled to get the bow line. tied a blowine connecting strap to hook, and winched her back up. 75% of the way back on, and the damn handle to the winch spun. ugh. the boat was far enough on that I tied down the bow line to trailer trailer, just so all the weight wasn't on the strap, and drove up on to flat land and had some help pushing the rest of the way onto the trailer....
hits always keep coming with this "hobby."

Got Stripers
07-01-2014, 11:10 AM
I'm always glad to have a bunk trailer when I hear a story like that one, don't want to be the guy waving goodbye to the boat as it slips quickly uptide on a hard incoming at the westport river.

Guppy
07-01-2014, 12:20 PM
here's one
when I had a small tin boat I'd back into the creek down the street from me, hit the brakes, she'd slide right in and stop when the bow line tied to the trailer got taught. Yup, one launch the bow line snaps, boat heads out into the incoming current further up into the creek. Next to this ramp is a small horseshoe shaped public beach with a high spot of sea grass and mud at the other end. All I had in the old truck was a 50' extension cord and my tool belt. I grabs the 50 footer, the hammer and starts running the length of the beach still wearing my knee highs,,,, quite a site I'm sure for those still on the beach at the end of the day. Gets to the high spot just as she's drifting by, looks about 51' away LOL, ties on the hammer to one end of the cord, steps on the other and lets one of those Roy Rogers cowboy tosses go. Dead nuts,,, she was more like 48' away! Hammer hooked onto her and I pulled her in. Don't remember how I did that night but it had one heck of a start.

Sorry Ross, I know this has nothing to do with your post,,,, couldn't help myself and hope the boat Gods treat you a little better the rest of the season :-)

Got Stripers
07-01-2014, 12:51 PM
I think Clammer has a good boat-trailer story:).

nightfighter
07-01-2014, 02:38 PM
And today's entry will be about engine oil pumps and alarms..... I was able to use the toggle switch on the engine (have to pull motor cover) to fill up emergency reservoir that is on the engine and the alarm stopped. But will now have to see if there is a blockage from oil tank, or if the oil pump has failed. Had just put a gallon into the oil tank first thing this morning.
Still working on what batteries to get. Number two is bad as it drained down in a very short time with just livewell and gps/ff. Started it up on number one and then charged by running both. Had the battery jump pack onboard just in case. Hasn't been much relaxing or enjoyment so far this season....

piemma
07-01-2014, 02:57 PM
I think Clammer has a good boat-trailer story:).

Oh yeah! First time I saw a tin boat motoring on a street.

piemma
07-01-2014, 02:59 PM
And today's entry will be about engine oil pumps and alarms..... I was able to use the toggle switch on the engine (have to pull motor cover) to fill up emergency reservoir that is on the engine and the alarm stopped. But will now have to see if there is a blockage from oil tank, or if the oil pump has failed. Had just put a gallon into the oil tank first thing this morning.
Still working on what batteries to get. Number two is bad as it drained down in a very short time with just livewell and gps/ff. Started it up on number one and then charged by running both. Had the battery jump pack onboard just in case. Hasn't been much relaxing or enjoyment so far this season....

So I'm no genius when it comes to mechanics but the one thing I learned when I had an RV was if one battery is bad---CHANGE THEM BOTH! Had 3 different mechanics tell me the same thing.

I would assume it's the same in a boat.

nightfighter
07-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Oh, that's a given!

Van
07-02-2014, 07:48 AM
yesterday at the ramp, I had the boat winched 99% up, and the strap snapped. i have a roller trailer so the boat started sliding back down. I jumped quick, yelled to warn anyone behind, and scrambled to get the bow line. tied a blowine connecting strap to hook, and winched her back up. 75% of the way back on, and the damn handle to the winch spun. ugh. the boat was far enough on that I tied down the bow line to trailer trailer, just so all the weight wasn't on the strap, and drove up on to flat land and had some help pushing the rest of the way onto the trailer....
hits always keep coming with this "hobby."

Years ago when I trailered my boat, I was waiting for this guy to get his on a roller trailer. I couldn't understand why it was taking him so long to winch it up. I got closer and saw he had a vice grip on the handle stud. Also the winch had no clicker so if lost it, it would spin and roll back down. We were killing ourselves laughing when he would lose it and the vice grip spin like crazy and would smack his knuckles.... time after time after time !!! Then some guy comes to help him by holding the boat by the bow rail to keep it from rolling back down,,, it was one of those sectional ones......snap.....tore it right out of the brackets, then the winch guy lets go and gets smacked in the knuckles again, while the other guy is standing there with his bow rail in his hands. I am laughing now remembering the sight and typing this........No cell phones back then, would have been a great vid.

Van
07-02-2014, 07:54 AM

I thought the yamis main oil tank fed the one under the cover and that one feeds the oil lines. I'm pretty sure my buddy had a problem with a similar system and it was vacuum that filled the upper tank. He had some cracked oil lines or tank cap that prevented a good vacuum to pull the oil up.

Just a thought....

piemma
07-02-2014, 08:17 AM
Years ago when I trailered my boat, I was waiting for this guy to get his on a roller trailer. I couldn't understand why it was taking him so long to winch it up. I got closer and saw he had a vice grip on the handle stud. Also the winch had no clicker so if lost it, it would spin and roll back down. We were killing ourselves laughing when he would lose it and the vice grip spin like crazy and would smack his knuckles.... time after time after time !!! Then some guy comes to help him by holding the boat by the bow rail to keep it from rolling back down,,, it was one of those sectional ones......snap.....tore it right out of the brackets, then the winch guy lets go and gets smacked in the knuckles again, while the other guy is standing there with his bow rail in his hands. I am laughing now remembering the sight and typing this........No cell phones back then, would have been a great vid.

I'm sorry but I was LMAO reading this.