View Full Version : Lack of bluefish disturbs me...

JFigliuolo
07-02-2014, 07:40 AM
Not because I like getting my eels destroyed....

But I'm concerned that the decline of bass is occurring at the same time.

We all (well most of us) are thinking bass is being overfished and tighter regulations will help. But what about bluefish? I'm not seeing them being actively targeted, but there numbers are dropping in concert with the bass.

While I'm in favor of tightening the bass regs, I'm beginning to fear that it will not be enough to fix whatever is broken.

Just thinking out loud...

iamskippy
07-02-2014, 07:47 AM
The blue fish bite in RI has only slowed this last week and has been the best i have seen in years. I have had days where i have caught near 100 from shore on a single day in the bay. I have never caught so many blues in 1 year.

If you are fishing the ocean front that maybe why you are not seeing the numbers.

PRBuzz
07-02-2014, 08:15 AM
I haven't seen the huge school/frenzies of bluefish in Buzz Bay in 2 years!

piemma
07-02-2014, 08:19 AM
The blue fish bite in RI has only slowed this last week and has been the best i have seen in years. I have had days where i have caught near 100 from shore on a single day in the bay. I have never caught so many blues in 1 year.

If you are fishing the ocean front that maybe why you are not seeing the numbers.

I have not caught a Blue this year.

massbassman
07-02-2014, 09:06 AM
Caught a huge one Sat. nite in RI, over 12 pounds, like one you'd see in late fall. Mauled my rigged Sluggo to pieces, but a great fight!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ProfessorM
07-02-2014, 09:08 AM
Off south of cape from shore and boat 2 weeks ago it was as many as you could cast. A lot of fun and a while since I targeted them but the bass bite was slow that week so it filled the void on vacation.

bassballer
07-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Joe theres a million bluefish out front.

JFigliuolo
07-02-2014, 11:48 AM
Well then.... maybe I just have absolutely no idea WTF I am doing!??!?!?!?

piemma
07-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Joe, I think he means Brenton Reef and the surrounding waters.

NIGHT STRIKES
07-02-2014, 12:26 PM
NJ Inshore ( Surf,Bays & Inlets) just expierenced their best Spring BlueFish Run In Years. Big Numbers and Gator Size Fish...

Steve

bassballer
07-02-2014, 02:11 PM
Well then.... maybe I just have absolutely no idea WTF I am doing!??!?!?!?

No i agree with you. There wasnt alot of Bluefish up in the bay at all this year. I was hoping to get the wife on a couple blitzes as thats all her attn span can handle, and I didnt see one. But the reef and ocean front waters they are everywhere. They have been ruining a good bass bite for a month now.

Zeal
07-02-2014, 09:26 PM
Been either fish the upper to middle water column for Blues or get skunked here on LI as far as I'm concerned....

wdmso
07-03-2014, 04:42 AM
if your fishing for food Bass is it. but if your fishing for fight and and a show I would rather catch bluefish, a 12 -15lb blue will drag we and my kayak around like a fool compared to a 30lb bass I target bass in my yak and love it 3am the cast and the tap its electrifying . only worry about my eels when the sky lightens up

and i also found them off brenton reef slurping sand eels

iamskippy
07-03-2014, 05:35 AM
I have not caught a Blue this year.

When i find them again i will call you 😀 I know you were not fishing to far away from where i was.

piemma
07-03-2014, 05:40 AM
When i find them again i will call you 😀 I know you were not fishing to far away from where i was.

It's a deal!

l.i.fish.in.vt
07-03-2014, 06:43 AM
last year my total bluefish count was one,that went about 3lbs.going back a few years,catching over a 1,000 or more a season was the norm.shared many morning,days and evenings slamming the blues with Rapping Mikey,usually some bass mixed in.these days i rarely fish in the daylight unless i am on the kayak

snake slinger
07-03-2014, 07:40 AM
I found them last night I ended up with some cigar butts

bart
07-03-2014, 11:16 AM
I've found them on the reef and other nearby spots. Also just off the beach by boat in South County. Lots of terns working over micro sand eels. Blues and bass have been loaded with squid, though. I've never seen so many squid in my life.

Bluefishing from shore out front has been poor for me, as has been bass fishing....

BatesBCheatin
07-03-2014, 11:24 AM
Last year the Blues were pretty nonexistent. This year has been better, but not even close to previous years where you could count on them at certain places at dawn and dusk. Did manage a 15lb 34" one this June though, which is my personal best. Was stuffed with adult mackeral. Thought it was a 30lb bass.

Hope they lower the limit on blues too. Saw people on south side of the Cape keeping 10 a day to "share" with others. :rollem:

GonnaCatchABig1
07-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Ya know it funny this here. I've been trying to get my girl into fishing, and when i told her about blues, she kind of got excited cause she wanted to see the teeth. So i thought piece of cake, i can get her into a blue and she will have a blast. Havent seen any signs of them since then. Shouldnt be so hard to find bluefish. Ive been in some good spots for blues too, cause my bassin aint been so great and i would not mind a day reeling something in.