View Full Version : Jumping (flying) Minnow

spinncognito
07-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Did NOT have a good morning. :fury: First I lost yet another (2nd in three days) battle with a large bass to the same barnacle-laden bridge piling. Thought I had this one bested but it got one last burst of energy and headed straight to the only place it could to keep swimming without me releasing her first. If anyone catches her I will take my pink sluggo back, please. :)

So I decided to stop playing suicide in this tricky big-fish-holding spot and headed for the rocks where I at least could have a chance at tiring out a fish. I was delighted to see a vast display of frothy white weedless water when I arrived. :jump1: Surf was manageable. First cast with the bone jumping minnow and a 26" fish grabbed it in tight. A quick run and I had it holding on a ledge waiting for the next wave to wash it up to me when the hook came loose and shot at me like a missile, lodging into my calf. Of course I had just replaced the stock hooks with 4X VMC's so the barb was buried. I know this happens often but it took almost 40 years of fishing to happen to me. Yep, I am grateful it did not hit me in the face or eye.

So I limped back to my truck, took a call about a beach blitz that was happening elsewhere, contemplated going with the lure attached to my leg but ultimately decided to go to the ER and get chuckled at as everyone there pointed at my leg. I got lucky and got in and out in less than two hours (strokes and shortness of breath trumped my minor issue, I was told)

So tomorrow morning I will try again, with a longer and stronger leader and shin pads :rotf2:

jonserfish
07-05-2014, 05:15 PM
OUCH

tysdad115
07-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Ouch is right...stuck a darter tail hook in myself several times. Every plug I own I crush the barbs on the tail hooks.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

bobber
07-05-2014, 06:12 PM
I've taken hooks outta fingers, arms, necks, even heads.....(I work in an ER near the CT shoreline)

but never a leg

yet

N.ShoreFisher
07-05-2014, 06:41 PM
I will avenge you when I get out of work tonight spin! Gonna bring a couple of bone whites just to temp her out!

Guppy
07-05-2014, 07:29 PM
Those vmc's are sooooo sharp!

numbskull
07-06-2014, 04:11 AM
I get hooked 3-4 times per year. Barbs scare me and I crush them before a plug ever gets near water. I fish for fun and an occasional lost fish is waaaaaaaaaay worth the benefit of not worrying about getting hooked and much less downtime unhooking fish.

Raven
07-06-2014, 05:33 AM
heck you need a suit of Armour...

piemma
07-06-2014, 06:42 AM
It you play around with sharp, pointy objects long enough, you will get bitten.
I had a 4/0 in my hand with a 15# bass attached to it once out on a reef, waist deep in the surf.

PRBuzz
07-06-2014, 06:51 AM
I just leave the tygon tubing hook protectors on! Works for me and still catch fish, went 2 for 2 recent canyon trip on Fishbucket. :)

Raven
07-06-2014, 08:06 AM
I had a 4/0 in my hand with a 15# bass attached to it once out on a reef, waist deep in the surf.

ooooo i just got a Wicked Shiver rush reading that...... :hs:

Swimmer
07-06-2014, 10:29 AM
Put one through the outside of my left hand right behind the second knuckle of my pinkie after I left Andy the other morning throwing a plug bug in the back of my truck. Pushed it through, crushed the bard and bscled it out. It was very minor compared to yours spin....put some AAA salve on it and ate my sandwich.

Thanks for the pic.

5/0
07-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Nice one Paul looks like you hooked a 200# er.
Nice job buddy!
On a side note glad to hear your getting into-em!

spinncognito
07-06-2014, 03:30 PM
Nice one Paul looks like you hooked a 200# er.
Nice job buddy!
On a side note glad to hear your getting into-em!

That was easily 220 Bob, give or take an ounce! Getting into a few yes, landing them has been a whole different story :fury:

bassballer
07-07-2014, 09:12 AM
The jumpin minnow always catches.

Rockport24
07-07-2014, 03:34 PM
ouch man! glad you are finding some fish but damn that is a hellava way to pay for it!

FishermanTim
07-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Seems like you're not a real fisherman if you haven't been on the biting end of a good hook story.
I've been lucky enough that all of mine have been freshwater hooks, but the experience teaches you to respect your tackle all the same.

Glad it wasn't a truly serious impalement.

stripermaineiac
07-08-2014, 02:51 PM
So did you weigh it after it got released LOL