View Full Version : (more) ACK questions

bart
07-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Thanks for all the responses in the other thread I started.

We're going out to the island Tues to help with the grand opening of our sister hotel 21 Broad http://www.21broadhotel.com/ We will be out there at least a week and a half.

If anyone can help with suggestions as to "cheap" places to eat, drink, catch live music etc. that would be great. Any dive/beach bars off the beaten path? Locals' spots? We're good at making friends and we can't afford most of what ACK has to offer. (We'll be bringing non perishables and a cooler to get us through most of the first week)

Another question: I'm planning on bringing one rod (no waders) and an old BW bag filled with plugs. Will carry a 6 tube bag at night while walking the beaches. What essential plugs would you bring for this time of year? I'm planning on mostly bringing bombers, needles, tins, poppers and some bucktails. Think these would cover the bases?

Any and all help regarding the island would be awesome and greatly appreciated. Haven't been there since I was 13....it's where my parents taught me how to drive! Thanks in advance...

Rob

Nebe
07-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Never fished there but I would just bring a bunch of pearl slug-gos and work the pockets along the beach. Simple and fun
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

bart
07-12-2014, 05:26 PM
good suggestion - i grew up fishing slug-gos in chatham that way and caught tons of fish. i need a lighter set up for that, though. Bringing my 10ft lami...

JohnnySaxatilis
07-12-2014, 07:37 PM
Gotta hit Cisco Brewery! Great beer garden setup and live music on the weekends, and there's usually a food truck or raw bar. Its awesome.

And Downey Flake for breakfast is my go to spot... If you eat there and get a donut as a side its piping hot. But if you get there late morning its usually a nightmare crowded scenario so beware.

For lunch try Something Natural. Homemade herb bread MMMMMMMM
Fishing is probly guna be spotty but I think you have what you need there with what you mentioned. Have a good time!

bart
07-12-2014, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, Johnny. Much appreciated

bart
07-13-2014, 07:24 AM
Would you guys bring waders? Traveling light as we won't have a vehicle. I was thinking I wouldn't need them if walking and fishing the sand.

Finaddict
07-13-2014, 10:13 AM
You can never go wrong with packing some metal and bucktails ...

piemma
07-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Would you guys bring waders? Traveling light as we won't have a vehicle. I was thinking I wouldn't need them if walking and fishing the sand.
Rob, if you are fishing the beach, I wouldn't bring waders. It's warm enough for shorts and sandals or sneakers.

thefishingfreak
07-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Chunk bluefish off eel point at night for 100 plus pound sandbar sharks

JohnnySaxatilis
07-13-2014, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, Johnny. Much appreciated

NP... Oh and for dinner: Company of the Cauldron is the best in town but spendy. My parents are big fans. But you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an acclaimed restaurant there so...

bart
07-13-2014, 11:09 PM
Chunk bluefish off eel point at night for 100 plus pound sandbar sharks

that would be wild.

thanks all

Moses
07-14-2014, 06:09 PM
Restaurant Options:

Downyflake Restaurant - 18 Sparks Ave
Affordable - breakfast starts ~6 a.m. Yummy donuts.

Millie’s - 326 Madaket Rd
The spot to watch the sunset. Food options will leave you full & happy. You'll like the vibe there.

Slip 14 - 14 Old South Wharf
One of my preferred watering holes & place to grab a bite.

Pazzo - 130 Pleasant St.
Mainly Italian. Call ahead, and try to go on a live-music night

The Chicken Box - 16 Dave St.
Jimmy Buffett's favorite bar in America. Great live music.

Cisco Brewers - 5 Bartlett Farm Rd
Already mentioned above. I won a guided tour last year and it was sweet!!

Diggin Jiggin (Dave) should have some opinions too.......

Diggin Jiggin
07-15-2014, 03:05 PM
I've got family down there so when we go down its family/kid time and we don't go out too much and if we do its more family friendly/cheaper stuff.

If you don't have a car or access to one you are going to find the island is a lot bigger than you think it is. Not sure if you are working or have the days free but there are pretty good beach buses.

Downyflake's great for breakfasts or lunch (and has been for a real long time). My kids/wife swear their pancakes are the best ANYWHERE.

Rose N crown's (very close to where you are staying) is pretty good and for down there pretty cheap $$. BUt all these places change a lot from year to year and I have not been there this year..

Juice BAR has great homemade ice cream right down the street from you. Expensive but fun to eatwhile you walk on the docks staring at the boats.

Usually when I am down there we borrow my parents car and do our best to avoid town. Nothing better than throwing some bluefish gear in the car, picking up Henry's or a pizza and having a nice sunset on the beach.

As for fishing, if you are in town w/ no car your only real good option is probably the shoreline from Brant/point to the Jetties, you can fish both on the drop. Nice sand bars at the Jetties (BP is Deep). Both can be good spots for eels. If you have a car I like fishing the surf on the s side but it can be real spotty and you have to do a lot of walkling to track them down (if they are even there). SW is the prevailing wind so there's surf almost everyday, so while you don't need waders you'll go home wet&sandy without them if you fish that side..

stripermaineiac
07-15-2014, 06:51 PM
Bring waders. if you don't you'll need them. If you do you won't LOL.There are some very sweet bars that are easy to get too and the inner ponds are great.Metal a must,lead heads,some poppers,sluggos an a couple swimmers.went out this spring now on the regular to do list. sweet place. some surprisingly inexpensive places an some that are a joke with marginal food just a high price. Carefull with your debit card out there do cash as much as posible.

timmah
07-15-2014, 07:00 PM
My nephew Jesse does the raw bars at cisco brewery, tell him his uncle Tim said you could have a free sampler plate. :-)

Mr. Sandman
07-15-2014, 07:43 PM
I fish and hang out there every year...from boat and surf. Have made several very good friends on Nantucket. I hear from them often. If you go during the night for bass try miacomet rip area. During the day big blues can be had at tom nevers and nobedeer also the looong strech of beach out to great point. But there are a lot of big seals. Try to avoid messing with them, they are huge. To the west madaket and eel point..pole 42 (I think).

Beautiful island. Great beaches and some spectacular homes. Very nice people. Not my favorite place to surf fish but I enjoy it every year because it is so easy...all sand and it's still fun... but it's one of my favorite place to chill. If I had the coin I would have a big sporty and keep it in the harbor...it is just the coolest place. Great party's every night. There are some top-notch world class offshore guys that hang there. When I was going out to the canyons last week I took a look as the AIS screen...I saw a 72'er coming from ACK cruising at 32knots headed to veach. There are some big boys there with big toys.

Enjoy yourself...stop in at CRU in the harbor have a drink and enjoy the view.

The place for breakfast is Sally's...really good food. Dinner restaurants are expensive but are outstanding....too many to list.

bart
07-22-2014, 08:12 AM
Thank you all for all the responses. Been a crazy stretch here with work, but we've really enjoyed the island. Have met some of the nicest locals. Haven't been able to fish much, but when I did we found fish. Nice to walk the sand again and fish that type of structure. Wish I had access to a vehicle, but other than that, I have no complaints.

Thanks again!