View Full Version : ASMFC Commissioners' pre meeting

MakoMike
07-15-2014, 06:44 AM
Here's you chance to have some influence:

Hello,

A meeting of Rhode Island's ASMFC Commissioners will be held on Thursday, July 31 at 4 pm in the Large Conference Room in the Coastal Institute Building at the URI Bay Campus in Narragansett. The purpose of the meeting is to review and discuss the agenda for the upcoming August 5-7 ASMFC meeting in Alexandria, VA. Anyone may attend and offer input on the agenda items. The agenda for the ASMFC meeting, in outline form, is available on the ASMFC's website: http://www.asmfc.org/home/2014-summer-meeting. A more detailed agenda will likely be posted at that link within the next week or so. Key issues expected to be on the agenda include:

Eels

Final approval of Draft Addendum IV (see ASMFC website for draft)

Striped Bass

Approval of Draft Addendum IV for Public Comment (involving changes to the fishing mortality reference points and potential management options to reduce fishing mortality to a level that is at or below the target)

Spiny Dogfish

RI proposal to allow increased daily/weekly possession limits (pending)

Fluke

Review and development of scoping document for proposed Amendment to Fluke FMP (Joint Mid-Atlantic Council/ASMFC Plan)

For further information, contact Bob Ballou at Robert.Ballou@dem.ri.gov

Nebe
07-15-2014, 07:55 AM
thats great! they are going to change the limits!!!!

piemma
07-15-2014, 08:40 AM
If we can get a bunch of guys together to go, I'll go. I have been to this meeting before and the problem I have seen is whatever the recs ask for the comms shout us down. They go to that meeting in force.

Now don't get your panties in a bunch. I'm not knocking the comms. I'm just saying that no one listens to 1 or 2 recs when there are 50 comms in the room.

numbskull
07-15-2014, 03:08 PM
There is nothing to discuss. They will ensure all large fish are killed over the next several years then create a rational to justify reducing size limits to work on the 2011 year class the moment it reaches spawning age. What the non-charter recreational community thinks is comic relief for them.

bobber
07-15-2014, 03:22 PM
I'd make the trip if we get a group going.

MakoMike
07-15-2014, 05:47 PM
There is nothing to discuss. They will ensure all large fish are killed over the next several years then create a rational to justify reducing size limits to work on the 2011 year class the moment it reaches spawning age. What the non-charter recreational community thinks is comic relief for them.

If you don't go and make your views known then you have no right to bitch about anything. Mark Gibson and Bob Ballou are good guys and will listen. If you can't make the meeting write or e-mail them.

BatesBCheatin
07-16-2014, 12:10 AM
If you can't make a meeting at least fire off an email: http://www.asmfc.org/about-us/commissioners