View Full Version : rumor has it 102lbs off the block

jim sylvester
07-22-2014, 04:22 PM
starting to pop on the web...charter boat...younger angler hooked a fish...couldn't move the fish....passed rod off to captain (therefore not a world record) fish was landed.... capt. holding off on releasing pictures of fish to see what he can get for money...

again....a rumor....but its on the forums right now with credibility chiming in..

my thoughts....don't believe it until I see a picture of that fish on the scale

JohnR
07-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Interesting. I remember back in the day the threads "where would the 100#er come from" and block was always top or near top

joebaggs99
07-22-2014, 05:49 PM
Saw this on another site and they have declared it to be false. However, alot of negative Nancy's and pessimists. I would love to see the pics before declaring any opinion. I hope it is true and it does become a world record

ivanputski
07-22-2014, 06:32 PM
With everyone from 6 year olds to senior citizens with i- phones, there is no way a fish like this gets landed without pics... If pics dont surface soon, rest assured it did not happen.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Peter Lajoie
07-22-2014, 07:25 PM
Been in the rumor mill since last week. I heard about in snug harbor marina.

ivanputski
07-22-2014, 08:44 PM
At the very least , its a Great rumor to steer publicity to your charter business you have to admit

Green Light
07-22-2014, 08:59 PM
What charter capt worth his weight in salt does not have at least one camera on board?

I hear a lot of fisherman tales.

No pics. No fish. My $0.02.

Jackbass
07-23-2014, 06:00 AM
I caught two hundred pounders this weekend. Then I woke up in a cold sweat to a three month old screaming feed me and I have mustard up my back slave!!

tlapinski
07-23-2014, 07:38 AM
What charter capt worth his weight in salt does not have at least one camera on board?

You would be surprised at just how many do not even have a halfway decent camera phone! It's easier to kill the fish and hope someone has a camera back at the dock than it is to buy a camera and photograph the release of said fish... :smash:

As for this supposed monster ghost fish, I say no f'ing way. While its existence is 100% possible the circumstances behind this catch simply do not add up. What charter captain is going to release such a fish, even if its world record status is nullified based upon the details of the rumor, as he would have googans from all ends of the earth signing up to fish with the guy that put his client on the first documented 100-pounder. Further, how on earth does ANYONE get even a remotely accurate weight on a fish that big on the deck of a rolling heaving boat. Did he use the new prototype 200-pound Boga-Grip and have it hanging from a custom crane arm? :jump1:

redlite
07-23-2014, 09:40 AM
I believe it. Only if it has 5/0 owner octopus livebait hook with about 3 feet of fluro danglin out of its mouth cause i broke off on basszilla last week biggest thing i have ever hooked includin tuna. Had to have been 200 lbs tho

Show me the slip

piemma
07-23-2014, 10:06 AM
I believe it. Only if it has 5/0 owner octopus livebait hook with about 3 feet of fluro danglin out of its mouth cause i broke off on basszilla last week biggest thing i have ever hooked includin tuna. Had to have been 200 lbs tho

Show me the slip

If you had been pulling a spreader bar I'd believe the 200#. The reports I've been getting from the South side is all 40# and up. My carpenter just stopped by and said he was out there Sunday and they had 3 40#+ on umbrella rig on one pull in broad daylight. Took everyone in the boat to get it over the side.
I think whatever is left at the end will be scraps.

Mike P
07-23-2014, 11:49 AM

I hear a lot of fisherman tales.

No pics. No fish. My $0.02.

And doesn't post the pictures as soon as he gets an official weight at the dock. :grins:

Kid passed the rod to the captain? WR out the window. What it's worth is what he could have sold it for if he has a commercial license. Which ain't much if it was caught last week.

Charter guys don't sit on news of a catch like that for more than an hour, let alone a week.

Rockport24
07-23-2014, 12:25 PM
I heard after this fish was caught, he also saw bigfoot running around SW point! Did you hear that Raven?

ivanputski
07-23-2014, 01:07 PM
Before I read this I was fighting to stay awake after fishing all night...

now I have no shot... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and zzzzzzzzzzzz

MAKAI
07-23-2014, 03:08 PM
Hmmmm......

Let me be perfectly clear.
If you like your plan, you can keep your plan. If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.

nightfighter
07-23-2014, 03:45 PM
And doesn't post the pictures as soon as he gets an official weight at the dock. :grins:

Kid passed the rod to the captain? WR out the window. What it's worth is what he could have sold it for if he has a commercial license. Which ain't much if it was caught last week.

Charter guys don't sit on news of a catch like that for more than an hour, let alone a week.

Yup. Story has been around for a week now. If said captain hadn't called his wife/girlfriend/ best buddy, and have his name attached to the story by now, you would expect that he had shopped around every tackle company to make as much money off of it as possible. And by now his name would have been out through loose lips. Not enough credibility out there for even OTW to acknowledge. I say run up the flag.:bs:

Raven
07-23-2014, 05:20 PM
I heard after this fish was caught, he also saw bigfoot running around SW point! Did you hear that Raven?

It's common Knowledge the Juvenile Bigfoot will
walk right up to you and beg for a fish

jonserfish
07-23-2014, 08:14 PM
It's common Knowledge the Juvenile Bigfoot will
walk right up to you and beg for a fish
THAN I SAW A BUNCH OF ASIAN BABY BIGFEET DOWN THE CANAL PARKING LOT LAST WEEKEND.

jonserfish
07-23-2014, 08:26 PM
:rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:Hmmmm......

Let me be perfectly clear.
If you like your plan, you can keep your plan. If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.

thefishingfreak
07-23-2014, 09:08 PM
It was me.
Turned out to be Only 98 pounds so we just kept it hush hush.

So we thought .....