View Full Version : So I am trimming Bella's clumpy hair behind the ear and

Swimmer
07-26-2014, 12:41 PM
and look closely to see how I did getting the last clump off. I look and see an incision like cut about and inch behind and below the ear. Aw chit. After a short discussion I bring my buddy over to NEAMC in West Bridgewater where vet, and I agree she needs a couple of stitches. Its not bleeding, the dog didn't whimper, or let me know in any way I just cut her her, but I did. If I didn't check on my sloppy work we may never have even seen the cut. By the time they actually took her out back it had opened up a little more, but still wasn't bleeding. Broke my heart that I hurt her.

So she will need anesthesia, and has to be shaved to make sure the would is clean and what not. I leave her, because they are very busy. I got the call to pick her up at 1:30 a.m., and I ran right over. So $471.20 later including three scripts, and a soft collar she has to wear for a week or so until the cut is healed, Bella is downstairs not exactly sure what happened, but glad to be home. No pic. couldn't do that to her. And I didn't want to show anyone how friekin stupid I was not to wait for Bev to help with a second pair of eyes.

chefchris401
07-26-2014, 01:43 PM
glad shes ok, and wasnt serious, funny how they never make a noise or show any signs that they are injuried.

we now have 3 dogs, and the newest one is a yorkie/westie mix and his hair gets clumpy fast and grows in quick around his eyes, when we (the wifey and i) trim him we use kids safety scissors, that are rounded in the front so no chance of a gash or cuts, and they are really sharp and cut the hair with ease, no issues that way.

plus they make great braid cutting scissors

piemma
07-26-2014, 02:28 PM
We have a groomer who comes to the house every 6 to 8 weeks. $100 for 2 dogs. They are mini Schnauzers and have hair rather than fur. Cheap considering you just spent almost $500 and will, undoubtedly, have to take her back for a routine follow-up

Swimmer
07-26-2014, 03:37 PM
Kids safety scissors, very good idea Chris. And Paul, I believe their is going to be a much different approach to trimming clumps in the future. Stitches out in ten to fourteen days. I may invest in shears that groomers use for those hard areas.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
07-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Kids safety scissors, very good idea Chris. And Paul, I believe their is going to be a much different approach to trimming clumps in the future. Stitches out in ten to fourteen days. I may invest in shears that groomers use for those hard areas.

Our groomer is coming Monday. I'll see if I can get you a brand name for the shears she uses.

Swimmer
07-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Thanks Paul

JamesJet
07-26-2014, 05:02 PM
Frank, my sister did the same thing to our golden Cassidy years ago. Same situation, clean cut, emergency vet big bill and upset family.

piemma
07-27-2014, 02:11 AM
Thanks Paul

I'll PM you, Frank.

fcap60
07-27-2014, 05:04 AM
I did the same thing to my springer spaniel a few years back.
Shortly thereafter, I learned to keep my fingers between the matted hair and the scissors.

Bella will be just fine !!

bassballer
07-27-2014, 09:16 AM
My dog put a stick through his mouth puncturing the the inside of his mouth almost all the way through while playing fetch. Never made a sound. Would Elat and just drooled for 2 days. 2 surgeries and 2k later he was back. Didn't make a sound.