View Full Version : You know it's not your day (or night).....

FishermanTim
07-31-2014, 11:44 AM
When you spend a couple of hours tossing everything but the kitchen sink hoping to land just one fish, and when you call it a night and head back to your vehicle you come across a flatfish swimming at your feet!

I tried the canal last night to no avail!
Nothing, not one single hit!

As I walk back to my access point I see a16-18" fluke/flounder swimming at my feet.

Oh well, I guess it's back to freshwater fishing again!

spinncognito
07-31-2014, 12:02 PM
Finally had a little time to fish before work this morning, had my spot well planned out, tide was right, conditions perfect and had high hopes for hooking up (and potentially landing) large.

Had all my gear ready by the front door, extra leaders tied up, my starting lure at the ready.

Rolled outta bed and into the set-aside clothes and rambled down the stairs at 4:30AM. Flicked on the porch light as I opened the front door only to be stared down by a skunk. I coughed, rattled the screen door slighly but it just stayed put, poking around my grill and the one piece of tin foil I inadvertently left out there from last nights dinner.

After a good 6 minutes it wandered behind the grill so I made a dash for it, nearly breaking my 9ft Avid and nearly tripping down the 4 cement steps! I was free!

Only problem was somebody (perhaps my cat?) told that little bastage where I was going and it must have followed me :fury:

massbassman
07-31-2014, 12:27 PM
Have to agree that this has been the worst season for me in many years. I've been working 10 hr days for two months, and have found it increasingly hard to get my ars out of bed in the middle of the night, drive an hour and half and spend $40-50 in gas, to get skunked. Last weekend I said screw it, spent the $40 on a Porterhouse steak and a 12 pack, and got the best nights sleep I've had in weeks! Only problem is, I've got the itch again already.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raven
07-31-2014, 04:00 PM
i chase off skunks with the garden hose
don't hit them directly -> just get close
and herd them with the water to where
you them to go.... each time they raise their tail
back off on spraying so they won't spray

PRBuzz
07-31-2014, 06:13 PM
Have to agree that this has been the worst season for me in many years. I've been working 10 hr days for two months, and have found it increasingly hard to get my ars out of bed in the middle of the night, drive an hour and half and spend $40-50 in gas, to get skunked. Last weekend I said screw it, spent the $40 on a Porterhouse steak and a 12 pack, and got the best nights sleep I've had in weeks! Only problem is, I've got the itch again already.

For another porterhouse I hope! :)

albin35
07-31-2014, 07:06 PM
I went looking for Bass after work today. I bought Halibut instead.

stripermaineiac
07-31-2014, 08:37 PM
I've gotta chime in here. way back a little while ago things got pretty dismal as far as catch numbers go for a lot of people. some gave up an went fresh water,some to golf,some to boats and others to things like 4 wheelin. Some of us just kept fishin away. At times we went fishless an at other times we got quite a few. we fished no matter what and made some great friends and had some great times. remember some of the good times and good freinds are all connected. Enjoy the moment. don't ad so much too it that it isn't fun anymore.
I lost a biggie last night . Got invited to a cold beer met some nice people and have another memory to enjoy when I can't do it anymore. Enjoy it out there. It's fun.

WESTPORTMAFIA
07-31-2014, 08:47 PM
Fishing 2 hours and not catching anything isn't out of the ordinary. I don't get this one?

hardcore from shore
07-31-2014, 10:46 PM
Fished canal last night (this AM actually) around the 050 turn. Nothing but weed but saw 2 great barges and their tugs (a pusher and a puller). Beautiful night, no fish. On way home tried a little estuary that needed more exploration. 10 bass around 18 inches each on light tackle. collected scale samples from 4 to almost complete my scale data collection for July for the division of marine fisheries. Saw 2 shooting stars, heard breaking fish feeding heavily. Saw tons of "fire in the water". Home at 3 am. A great night. Fact is 2 hours of no fish is common, but seeing all the other sights is common too, if you look.

bassballer
08-01-2014, 08:43 AM
yesterday we were on a wolf pack of bass. 15 fish, no blues ranging up to 25#'s. Today go back out same tides, less wind not one fish. what ya gonna do.

FishermanTim
08-01-2014, 10:38 AM
I agree that 2 hours with no fish is not a big deal, but if you have 4,5 or 7 trips in a row like that it starts to break your resolve.

I've been skunked more times than I care to remember, and I've had stellar nights as well.

As for the extra sights and sounds, well those are ALWAYS a welcome experience. Heck, I've seen the ISS pass overhead a couple of times as well!

My point was more of the "tongue&cheek" variety, that being that I couldn't catch a single bass or blue yet here was a good size flatfish frillicking around my feet! Oh, the indignity!!!

I knew not to expect a kiiler night, being the "dog-days-of-summer" and all, but it was good to get out and cast away!!!

massbassman
08-01-2014, 10:51 AM
For another porterhouse I hope! :)

Hahaa... and beer!!

Zeal
08-01-2014, 11:11 AM
Not to hijack, but I think you know its not your day when you wake up and the first thing you do is either cut your gum when brushing your teeth or burn your tongue on coffee, or bite your lip on breakfast. Literally, you did something trivial and it got you. ugh........

Sundowner
08-05-2014, 08:40 AM
...you go for an hour before work, in the middle of a retreive bend over to get a bug off your forehead. The 1 second you have a hand off the rod, the butt of the rod cracks you in the jaw from the one hit you are to get. Then as you put one foot in the car, already late for work, the surface of the water lights up.

At least there is hope for tonight!!

Got Stripers
08-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Two weeks ago I launched with high expectations, only to get towed in after short morning, severely sprained my wrist the same day, two days later I find out outboard needs $2300 to fix an exhaust leak, that same night I need to prep for colonoscopy the following morning, followed by having to cancel golf tourney I already pre-paid $160; but I'm still smiling. Some days and/or weeks are better than others, but as I get older I'm happy to have my health, family, friends, to be able to enjoy life and still be on the right side of the grass.

jonserfish
08-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Two weeks ago I launched with high expectations, only to get towed in after short morning, severely sprained my wrist the same day, two days later I find out outboard needs $2300 to fix an exhaust leak, that same night I need to prep for colonoscopy the following morning, followed by having to cancel golf tourney I already pre-paid $160; but I'm still smiling. Some days and/or weeks are better than others, but as I get older I'm happy to have my health, family, friends, to be able to enjoy life and still be on the right side of the grass.

HOLY CRAP THAT'S A BAD WEEK