View Full Version : Comments please

Dickymint
07-04-2003, 09:46 AM
Hi. I'm quite new to striper fishing. Tried Manchester and Essex yesterday 1 hour before thro 1 hour after high tide. Not even a nibble. A coiuple of days ago there were lots of big ones and lots of action. Is there any explanation for these big ups and downs ?
Thanks

JohnR
07-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Yep - it's called fishing and not catching. It can take years to learn how and where to hunt and to increase your odds but the fish STILL need to be there when you are. If you are just starting and you have them periodically you're probably doing pretty good.

Keep putting the time in, read the boards, read some books, talk to shops and be very observant... Welcome to S-B

beachwalker
07-04-2003, 10:04 AM
DM,

Hello. welcome to fishing.

There are lot's of different reasons why a bite can be on or off but usually it is that the fish have moved on, the tide isn't ready yet or they are eating something different than what you just offered. Bass can be real finicky and, when they are inshore, are easily spooked. If the spot is super busy they can get rattled by the tons of plugs and assorted efforts hitting the water and make themselves scarce.
Was the tide setting up the same way when you returned the second time ? Many times a certain spot is very tide reliant.

Regardless, they are many different reasons and most of it can be learned through some good literature that is available. Even the crustiest, old salt has a few of these books on his or her shelf.

Check your local Tackle shop or check online. Daignault, Tabory, etc. are some of the names to look for.

One of my hardest lessons to accept was that it would be hard for me to catch a fish EVERY time I went. :confused:

Good luck and enjoy the holiday.

Dickymint
07-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Tried a couple of locations on the falling tide this afternoon but not a nibble! I guess that's what makes it interesting. The people watching was good, though.

beachwalker
07-04-2003, 08:54 PM
DM,

Oh yea.....

Bass fishing from the shore, in summer, is usually a night time and early morning thing :)

Best of luck !