View Full Version : Mole Crabs/Sand Fleas?

Zeal
08-06-2014, 09:40 PM
Scratched the unbearable itch last night on the early and middle stage of an incoming tide. No massive waves but a good sweep, had a tough time keeping any plug out of the bottom.

This one spot in particular, just about every other retrieve I noticed some things on the trebles of my darter, figured it was clumps of weed but then I saw them start to move. Apparently I hooked into 4 Sand Fleas/Mole Crabs (the grey buggers that bury themselves in the sand, they don't bite).

Every other cast these things kept getting on the trebles. I've seen them used for bait in the Carolinas for Sea Mullet and other fish but has anyone found these Sand Flea mounds to be productive spots for Stripers? I never saw a fish belly with these guys in there.

Slipknot
08-07-2014, 05:50 AM
Yes, sometimes on the beach the bass will be right up to the beach s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g those things in. It may be hard to catch a fish but they also might hit a bomber you never know. Strange looking alien creatures aren't they

piemma
08-07-2014, 06:20 AM
About 20 years ago there was an old guy who use to rake the mole crabs at Narr Beach. He use to chunk them and absolutely CRUSH big fish near the mouth of Narrow River. I never tried but I know for a fact they work.

stripermaineiac
08-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Love finding them on my hooks. Stripers eat them. Mole crabs there,Stripers there. just need to work for them

chefchris401
08-07-2014, 01:21 PM
one of the best times to chunk is when they start mating or laying eggs, one beach is so loaded with them after every wave the bottom looks like its moving, we chunk small bunker pieces like an 1" wide and they go nuts for em.

ive chunked em before and done ok with them but im sure they would produce huge if fished in the right spots

Zeal
08-07-2014, 08:43 PM
Strange looking alien creatures aren't they

Dear God yes they are. They remind me of the Scarabs from "The Mummy" that burrowed into your skin and ate you :rotf2:

Zeal
08-07-2014, 08:46 PM
one of the best times to chunk is when they start mating or laying eggs, one beach is so loaded with them after every wave the bottom looks like its moving, we chunk small bunker pieces like an 1" wide and they go nuts for em.

ive chunked em before and done ok with them but im sure they would produce huge if fished in the right spots

What size hook would you use to chunk these guys? If I'm snagging them, I might as well bring a rig for it.

Sea of Atlas
08-07-2014, 10:28 PM
WTF-looked these ups to see a pic and there are recipes to eat them!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device