View Full Version : fish keeping ..am I the only one...

Rockfish9
08-14-2014, 12:10 PM
I doubt it... show of your tanks here...

I've always kept tropical fish..some times a single tank.. some times as many as 6... right now, I have a gold fish/ornamental pond.. a 20 gallon fresh water tank... and most recently, a 75 gallon reef tank... keeping salt water fish and a reef system is so much more exciting ( to me anyway) than keeping fresh water fish...My reef tank is 5 months old and still "immature" by reef keeper standards.. but the life that is incorporated into the system is amazing.. I've learned so much about the salt water environment, it defiantly can make me a better fisherman..

so show us your tanks people!

Rockfish9
08-14-2014, 12:23 PM
all plants are live...as are the corals.. the "live rock" which is the base rock or coral rubble serves in part as a natural filter( due to the organisms and nitrifying bacteria that inhabit it) as well as a base for the living corals and a place for the fish to hide and copepods and marine worms to live and breed un harassed..

Raven
08-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Never ventured into keeping saltwater fish because of the expense mostly
but always had a freshy tank until the fateful day when the heater blew up
and electrocuted all the fish that had grown huge over the years.

Our favorite fish was the chocolate ghost knife that we would feed cubes of tubifex worms either dehydrated or live. I swear they would predict the weather
and swim in vertical circles when the fishin was good.... not knowing if they were feeling a drop in the barometric pressure or What?

Nice looking tanks JOE! Hey make a go pro movie :btu:

Rockfish9
08-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Never ventured into keeping saltwater fish because of the expense mostly
but always had a freshy tank until the fateful day when the heater blew up
and electrocuted all the fish that had grown huge over the years.

Our favorite fish was the chocolate ghost knife that we would feed cubes of tubifex worms either dehydrated or live. I swear they would predict the weather
and swim in vertical circles when the fishin was good.... not knowing if they were feeling a drop in the barometric pressure or What?

Nice looking tanks JOE! Hey make a go pro movie :btu:

I got one of those worm s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g pigs.. meet Agnes..my Angel..
she can take the whole cube in a single gulp..

Next ( the real pretty fish) is Mandy.. she's a female mandarin dragonet... she prefers small meals... copepods.. and lastly is Gilligan... he is a diamond spot gobie and the tanks construction engineer.. he works the whole sea scape sifting through for copepods, amphipods and shrimp.... he will jump thorough hoops for fresh shrimp...

Raven
08-14-2014, 02:47 PM
cool and colorful .... looks like a psychadelic sunfish

we had these two huge Silver Dollars that grew quite Large
over the years until they started leaping out of the tank
and i'd find them on the rug barely alive.

then one day one had died and we were down to just one.
a week later he was gone ....no where in the tank ...no where
on the floor and i was extremely puzzled as to what happened.

as it turned out...... we had displayed a large empty CONK Shell in the freshy tank
(prolly against the rules of Course)and that Fish had swam (crammed) itself
so far up into that shell that it was "wedged in" completely stuck
and i had to use wire cutters to cut shell and get it out alive............ :wall:
* adding he was up in there for two weeks)