View Full Version : Kudos to Toby Lapinski and The Fisherman Mag

piemma
09-04-2014, 01:29 PM
If you have not gotten your monthly issue of The Fisherman this will be a heads up.

For quite a few years I have been quietly aggravated at all all the pictures of dead bass, scattered throughout the publication. You guys know I am not some Peta monger who has never killed a fish but many of the pictures show a boat load of dead bass scattered all over a dock or a deck with no respect for the fish.

Toby has taken a stand and I applaud him. Respectful care of the fish and a picture that shows respect will still be published but no more pictures of full limits, fish hanging from a scale or thrown in a fish box that's 2 sizes to small.

It's time we all realize that our beloved stripers are indeed in trouble. The slaughter of the big fish at The Block that has taken place for the last 2 months may well be analogized as "the last buffalo hunt".

It is very reminiscent of the 80s right before the moratorium. I hope to hell this is not the case but there are pockets of big fish and vast areas of none at all.

At 67 years old, I'm on the back side of the cycle as I probably have 10 good years left of hard fishing. I am praying that we have good bass fishing for those 10 years to come.

Toby's move may not save what's left but it will not hurt.

paradoxjim
09-04-2014, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=piemma;1050801]If you have not gotten your monthly issue of The Fisherman this will be a heads up.

Toby has taken a stand and I applaud him.

Way to go Toby! I have cancelled a subscription to another local mag because I am tired of seeing dead fish pics and articles for ways to catch giant bluefin on the cheap, fishing from the gunwale! Whatever happened to sport fishing where we like the hunt and enjoy the catch and live with the memories of the fight, the releases and a few fillets for the table? And a small boat with a davit in the gunwale for winching a tuna in is hardly sporting.

Enough ranting. . . thank you Toby.

BatesBCheatin
09-04-2014, 04:44 PM
:btu:

Dick Durand
09-04-2014, 05:56 PM
I've received my second subscription renewal form and that's been sitting on my desk. I, too, was tired of seeing 5 or 6 guys standing in the stern of a charter boat each holding up two dead bass probably caught while trolling wire. Maybe, I'll reconsider. I'll no longer be receiving the other New England saltwater magazine, however.

pbadad
09-04-2014, 06:08 PM
I haven't received my issue as of yet but this is great news.I too had seen enough heros showng off a bunch of striped bass caught. All with big smiles. I went through lean years searching for bass. Toby took a stand and kudos for his effort. I have known Toby through CSA and he has always respected the specie. It's been a challenging season for most, especially shore fisherman. I hope it's not too late to right the ship but I see many bailing out the boat.

chris L
09-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Good for you Toby . I may reconsider getting a subscription again . I stopped both of the local mags a couple years ago .

Go for it Toby I support your efforts

zimmy
09-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Respectful care of the fish and a picture that shows respect will still be published but no more pictures of full limits, fish hanging from a scale or thrown in a fish box that's 2 sizes to small.

I like the idea of less dead fish pictures, but I am somewhat confused by the above. Charter boat pics are clearly obnoxious, but to me a pic of a guy on a rock with a 40 lber they killed is no better than the guy standing by a scale. Who cares if it is in a cooler that is too small? Dead fish is dead fish. If the idea is to not promote killing fish, that is a great move.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JLH
09-04-2014, 11:21 PM
Will make for a much more enjoyable read. Nice work!!

Rockfish9
09-05-2014, 06:13 AM
Takes balls....glad there are some that aren't afraid to take a lead or a stand. I've been getting that magazine since the 80's... makes me glad I still do! I agree about the last buffalo hunt... and the eerie similarities of the late 80's....I've been saying it for a long time.. the blocks a funnel and not a true barometer of the sea coast as a whole... the real indication of fish stocks are far beyond it...

JohnR
09-05-2014, 07:09 AM
Good job Toby :btu:

piemma
09-05-2014, 07:09 AM
Takes balls....glad there are some that aren't afraid to take a lead or a stand. I've been getting that magazine since the 80's... makes me glad I still do! I agree about the last buffalo hunt... and the eerie similarities of the late 80's....I've been saying it for a long time.. the blocks a funnel and not a true barometer of the sea coast as a whole... the real indication of fish stocks are far beyond it...

Joe, I'm telling you, these young guys don't believe its coming but I remember all too well the late 80s and early 90s. It's been real good since 2000 or so but those days are gone.

Rockfish9
09-05-2014, 07:18 AM
Joe, I'm telling you, these young guys don't believe its coming but I remember all too well the late 80s and early 90s. It's been real good since 2000 or so but those days are gone.

preaching to the quire my friend... I lived it too... I laughed at those that predicted the doom and gloom as I boxed and iced the last of that year class for market...funny how age /time has a way of making us wiser.. our eyes don't see as well but the vision becomes clearer... My dad had a saying.. and I now realize what he meant... " I was born knowing everything... the older I become.. the dumber I get"

tlapinski
09-08-2014, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the positive feedback. For those that have not seen the editor's log in question, here is a copy.

JohnR
09-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Good

joebaggs99
09-08-2014, 07:16 PM
I like the long term thought process on this type of photo taking. I see a new fishing trend starting.

luds
09-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Well done.

Rockport24
09-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Agreed.. well done, maybe other publications will start to get a clue..

Strider
09-09-2014, 12:01 PM
Great job T!

bobber
09-09-2014, 01:05 PM
I agree wholeheartedly- please respect the resource. seems like th fish have been taken for granted for too long (hence the current situation we are in right now)

afterhours
09-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Good job Toby.