View Full Version : Screwed by the weather report

wdmso
09-05-2014, 04:50 AM
I dont know how many times this year I have been responsible stayed in bed due to wind in the weather report. only to wake up and witness
a windless morning.. this weekend is the same the forecast is for 10-15 with 20 kt gusts .. and Fog personaly I have never experienced a foggie windy day on or off the water , and I have the time to go

it seems the weather resembles the forecast in the afternoon never in the AM

I fish from 0500 to around noon Inner coastal mostly

I have the time to go . so should I go out Saturday looking for funny fish in Darthmouth

Raider Ronnie
09-05-2014, 05:31 AM
Get a bigger boat.
Problem solved.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Liv2Fish
09-05-2014, 06:39 AM
SW wind + East tide in BB = Nice and flat. SW wind and West tide = :yak5:

Just pick your window or stay inside the points.

bloocrab
09-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Thought I saw a boat like the one you pictured coming from the grove area yesterday afternoon???

Why Dartmouth? There have been numerous schools scouring the waters just inside the mouth of the Sakonnet, unless like Bassballer stated, they've gone MIA??? But I think he's out "front" based on where he puts in (or at least I think).

I was thinking the same thing with the weather-forecasts too...I tend to side with caution with a small boat, so I'm screwed often....both ways,, LOL
Hoping to chase them this afternoonish...I'll post back if I end up finding them.

Liv2Fish
09-05-2014, 01:28 PM
I think they're right on at the moment. This is the report of current conditions from the BB entrance buoy. But with the east starting towards Fairhaven at 1:30 ish, is should be manageable out there. After the turn is will get #^&#^&#^&#^&ty for sure.

Current Weather/Wave Observations

Air Temperature: ° F
Wind direction (W Dir): SSW (205 - 214 Degrees)
Wind Speed (W Spd): 14.0 kts (16.1 mph)
Wind Gust (W Spd): 15.0 kts (17.3 mph)
Atmospheric Pressure (AP): 30.16 in
Pressure Tendency (PT): -0.06 in
Decreasing, then steady; or decreasing, then decreasing more slowly
Updated: 2:00 PM EDT on September 05, 2014

wdmso
09-05-2014, 03:11 PM
I was in he grove last week grew up down their I was all over sakonnet lots of bait no fish seems only steady catch reports have been that area if I am going alone which its looking like I will more than likely do the grove and head out to sakonnet and hit the mouth of westport river then head back

Thought I saw a boat like the one you pictured coming from the grove area yesterday afternoon???

Why Dartmouth? There have been numerous schools scouring the waters just inside the mouth of the Sakonnet, unless like Bassballer stated, they've gone MIA??? But I think he's out "front" based on where he puts in (or at least I think).

I was thinking the same thing with the weather-forecasts too...I tend to side with caution with a small boat, so I'm screwed often....both ways,, LOL
Hoping to chase them this afternoonish...I'll post back if I end up finding them.

bassballer
09-05-2014, 04:12 PM

My boat stays in the water, im in Conannicut marina Jamestown.. this isnt a burn but thats where ive been fishing for 2 weeks, and that mass of fish are gone. Havent seen a feed in 4 days. Im going south tomorrow.

Guppy
09-05-2014, 06:07 PM
I dont know how many times this year I have been responsible stayed in bed due to wind in the weather report. only to wake up and witness
a windless morning.. this weekend is the same the forecast is for 10-15 with 20 kt gusts .. and Fog personaly I have never experienced a foggie windy day on or off the water , and I have the time to go

it seems the weather resembles the forecast in the afternoon never in the AM

I fish from 0500 to around noon Inner coastal mostly

I have the time to go . so should I go out Saturday looking for funny fish in Darthmouth

Wednesday morn I gets up super early,, hauls down to falmouth, half hr b4 twilight, WTF! It's blowin a gale... Do I wait it out or drive back east, east i go, back home, eat, launch to 1 footers at bass river.
I either read it wrong or they where way off :wall: that time of year I guess,,,, go na get worse I'm afraid :yak5:

beamie
09-06-2014, 06:29 AM
In your situation it is really best to get out of bed and plan to go so you don't get screwed. If it is blowing a snot, head back in and go to breakfast then go home and cut the grass. It is such a bad feeling when you know you should have gone.......the only thing that makes it a better feeling is if your buddy called you and said the fishing was dead........

Guppy
09-06-2014, 12:11 PM
In your situation it is really best to get out of bed and plan to go so you don't get screwed. If it is blowing a snot, head back in and go to breakfast then go home and cut the grass. It is such a bad feeling when you know you should have gone.......the only thing that makes it a better feeling is if your buddy called you and said the fishing was dead........

You're so right, now I just need to try and remember that!
It's happened too many times this season, with a less than stellar season it's tough to stay psyched,,, :uhuh:

Beamie , green harbor? Yes
Do you know the "Erin Lynn", she's on a mooring in front of brant rock dock, good bud of mine

Cohenfishin
09-06-2014, 04:14 PM
You don't know till you go!!!! Im on the water hundreds and hundreds of hours a season and the forecast is wrong very often, sometimes better sometimes worse... If there's no small craft wake up and go. You can easily turn around and go back home.

beamie
09-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Guppy,

No, I'm a North River Rat. I don't get down to GH too often though I have seen the boat you are talking about.

piemma
09-09-2014, 08:24 AM
You don't know till you go!!!! Im on the water hundreds and hundreds of hours a season and the forecast is wrong very often, sometimes better sometimes worse... If there's no small craft wake up and go. You can easily turn around and go back home.

I'm stupid. I even go when they say small craft warnings. Usually it doesn't come up big in Narr Bay till afternoon. I have been caught but my boat seems to handle even 4' fine.

Cohenfishin
09-10-2014, 09:38 AM
I'm stupid. I even go when they say small craft warnings. Usually it doesn't come up big in Narr Bay till afternoon. I have been caught but my boat seems to handle even 4' fine.

Oh yeah I do the same. I don't turn around I can't help myself . I just don't recommend the casual boater to do the same. I'm usually good up to 25kt winds to get home, but that is in areas that I'm very familiar with where to avoid when it comes to tide relative to wind and rips.

bloocrab
09-13-2014, 03:29 PM
she was blowing today, ...came up fast n early too.
I must be watching DVR'd weather...the report I had seen called for 5mph...:jump1:
Tomorrow says N 10-15 gusts to 20, should I expect a pond? :rotf2:

Clammer
09-14-2014, 07:57 AM
today they were correct:smash:

Cohenfishin
09-14-2014, 04:40 PM
today they were correct:smash:

Oh yeah they sure were it was blowin 25 kts... I took a beating out there this morning till about 1pm then it laid right down.

Cool Beans
09-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Was pretty windy early on. Was out in the kayak in the bay from about 10:30am. There was a special Olympics sailing event sponsored by the base going on, so I had to paddle (around them) out from the base to the bridge and then west along the bridge to fish for fluke around that small island with the giant dog house on it. On the way out it was very choppy, some 2 and 3 foot waves. Was a test of the outrigger pontoons for sure.

I got a little wet with white caps from the side, but never felt like I was going to capsize. She stayed very stable, bounced around like that for about 3 hours before the wind pretty much died out to nothing around 1 or 2 pm. I paddled back around 3:30 in calm seas. :D

bloocrab
09-14-2014, 10:11 PM
Was out front this morning and the wind/water conditions made it very hard to find them....the birds were even flying around blind

Poncho
09-15-2014, 05:46 AM
Beamie took your advice yesterday, wind was supposed to be 10-15 gusts up to twenty from the north in Charleston. usually enough to keep me and my 1801 at home as i am pretty new to boating. But my wife's cousin and i got up at 3:00 and took made the drive and had a gorgeous day out there. It blew hard for sporadically and laid down in the afternoon. We spent 12 hours out there loving life, it was like a pond. wind picked up in the evening witch made it pretty choppy but it was a great day and so glad we went

bassballer
09-15-2014, 12:48 PM
screw the wind, how about those temps! its been back to bibs for me. ashame. I really like fishing in flip flops and shorts.