View Full Version : Tog Tails

Got Stripers
09-08-2014, 07:34 AM
Fished Saturday and it was a challenge to say the least, but my friend and I boated about 20 tog, with 6 fat keepers for the table. Those who have fished with me can attest to the fact I'm really good with light small plastic and I'm dialing in on how to catch tog with them. It's a ball on light gear and Saturday was fun for another reason.

I was fishing a large offshore ledge between the Westport River and Sakonnet point and due to the swells constantly washing over the top of this ledge, the tog were literally on top taking advantage I believe of the crabs being knocked loose from their footholds. About every 5 minutes or so, I'd see another wide tog tail breaking the surface frantically waving as it tried to grab some water for leverage to work themselves off the top of the ledge which on the dropping tide was now only under water as the swells came in.

Certainly I have a big advantage with a 101# thrust trolling motor with autopilot which allows me to set up downwind and hold station. That allows me to get me close enough to throw light jigs without getting too close to get caught in the swells breaking over and around the ledge. Others interested in trying could anchor close or motor in for a cast, then just put your finger on line and drift out slowly moving the rod tip to gently move off some weed or coax a tog into taking it fully into it's mouth; we caught our two largest doing just that.

My set up is a light 7 foot fast action (my albie rod) rod to throw a 3/8oz Kalin Ulitmate jig with an olive 4" split tail, reel is spooled with 30# powerpro braid, spro swivel and 20# seagar 30" leader. Its important to use a light jig, which allows you to work it just over the weed, letting the current to move the jig slowly over structure and I'm certain the tog pic it up to investigate if it's edible. My plastic is scent impregnated, but I'm not so sure that plays a part, I think they are just being opportunistic feeders.

The other two keys are a sharp hook and NO hook set. Every cast into this ledge for 3 hours was picked up by tog, it was nice to be able to sit in one spot and catch under those rough conditions. To catch you need subtle rod tip movements, keep the jig moving a bit to make the tog think it's alive and moving away or to clear it from a snagged weed. The urge to set the hook is tough to overcome, but to hook Tog this way, you need to be very patient and almost tease them into continuing to move up the bait until the sharp hook can grab hold; then just reel and pull when you feel weight.

The large swell Saturday I believe produced the perfect conditions for this approach, the tog were in tight taking advantage and I think they were more aggressive in that their window to grab their food was brief. Don't think this can't be duplicated, my friend is a freshwater fly rod guy and trout fisherman, so if he can land 6 tog and a few keepers on gear he's never fished in tough conditions to even hold your footing, I believe anyone can try this.

The diner was soooo good, man I love a panko crused 4" piece of tog rolled in egg and dropped into super hot crisco in a skillet on the grille.

Rob Rockcrawler
09-08-2014, 09:48 AM
Nice educational post, i will give that a shot if the conditions are right. Thanks.

wdmso
09-08-2014, 03:13 PM
On vac for 2 weeks starting the 13th would love to try Catching Tog I have only caught one accidentally on a jig no less. I'll accept and pointers from rigs to anchor suggestion and bait rigging

Got Stripers
09-08-2014, 03:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf4ZSaj507k

That is a great video for the crab fishing basics and I have found that sometimes, just running 30 # flouro to a 6/0 octopus hook tied with improved clinch with enough tag end to tie in a lop gets the weight and bait right on the bottom. Its a quicker re-rig for me then the dropper loop shown in that video.

Clammer
09-08-2014, 06:40 PM
HEY bUD STILL GIVING LESSONS :fishin:

zacs
09-09-2014, 01:01 PM
so tell me more about this trolling motor- I have seen/read about the trolling motors that lock you on a GPS spot. but how big/heavy of a boat do you have, how strong was the current/wind? you are saying there was a decent swell on... was it 2-4? 4+?

Cool Beans
09-09-2014, 02:02 PM
so tell me more about this trolling motor- I have seen/read about the trolling motors that lock you on a GPS spot. but how big/heavy of a boat do you have, how strong was the current/wind? you are saying there was a decent swell on... was it 2-4? 4+?

You got me currious as well. anything like this one? (http://www.amazon.com/Minn-Kota-Saltwater-Bow-Mount-Autopilot/dp/B000MQMHT4)

Got Stripers
09-09-2014, 06:27 PM
That is exactly the motor and I'd have to dig to find out the weight of my boat, it's a 196CC McKee Craft; so not light but not a beast either. The 36V 101 lb thrust will hold me in most current's unless you have a lot of wind and swells, which tend to pop the prop out of the water every once in a while. What's nice is using the compass or heading feature, I can lock in a course, then adjust my power setting and the motor will constantly adjust its heading to attempt to hold course. It's great to set up fish a spot for 15 minutes, 30 minutes or as I did Saturday for almost 3 hours without ever having to anchor. If you were fishing with it along say the Islands and tracing the contour of the coast, you can set the Ipilot to track your course, repeat or reverse it. I don't use those features all that much, it will run all day (my day is say 6am to 2pm) without really loosing all that much power.

As a tournament freshwater bass fisherman, when I went looking for a center console, I specifically wanted to find a hull that suited mounting a bow motor; wide enough deck, no rails and low enough to the water to make it feasible. Not every hull is suited for this, the McKee 196CC happened to be ideal. The link below I found has a video of my exact hull year and in fact the same trolling motor, which clearly shows why that hull is so easily fitted with one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkY3Tnnegcs

zacs
09-10-2014, 07:49 AM
good info! Thanks!!!!