View Full Version : Close Call almost put her on the bottom

Liv2Fish
09-22-2014, 08:29 AM
Was togging off of Naushon Saturday. Didn't have ice with me so we were putting the keepers in the live well. Fished around the same rock pile for a couple of hours then moved to a different spot. Didn't notice any difference in the boat at that point. Fished another spot for another couple of hours. Went to power up to head home and noticed the boat was very sluggish. First thought was maybe we picked up something on a prop but no. Opened a deck hatch and saw every captains worst nightmare. The bilge was full to the deck with sea water and the float switch never activated the pumps.

My first thought was call in out location to the coast guard but after a quick check of the batteries (they're all above deck level and were not at risk), I decided to investigate for two minutes. I immediately closed both sea cocks, check the obvious, drain plug, hose connections at live wells, nothing out of place. I knew then it wasn't coming in on its own and the only other potential I could think of was live well pumps. I hit the manual dual bilge pumps switch and shut down and drained the live wells and she started to empty. After about a half hour, we were completely pumped out.

After a thorough inspection of the live wells, there is about a 1/8" gap around the top to the aft live well where it meets the deck and the live well was overflowing directly into the bilge for 4 hours.

Looking back:

I definitely should have immediately called in our position regardless.

I know better than to run the live well spigot at full blast and to balance it with the over flow capabilities but it never resulted in anything more then wet slimy decks on my old boat.

Before the first voyage, I tied up at the dock and tested every system on the boat, except for a real test of the float switches. This will be on the pre-season check list going forward.

I really think we could use a lessons learned or close call forum on here. I immediately remembered reading (I think it was JackK) the thread a couple years ago where someone sunk south of the vineyard and what actually sunk the boat was putting it in gear, shifting enough weight to the back allowing the engines to pull it under. All the things they described that they wish they thought of during the chaos went through my head. It's tough to consider and plan for all of the what if scenarios that could go wrong on the water. This was definitely one that I have rehearsed in my head many times and I think it went as I imagined but reading other's experiences definitely played in to my thoughts about what to do and what not to, So I'm sharing this in the hopes it will help someone in the future.

Raven
09-22-2014, 08:54 AM
Before the first voyage, I tied up at the dock and tested every system on the boat, except for a real test of the float switches. This will be on the pre-season check list going forward.

I really think we could use a lessons learned or close call forum on here., So I'm sharing this in the hopes it will help someone in the future.

same here! glad your ok ! and the boats ok too
sharing an idea that popped into my head
of having a float attached to a wooden or plastic tube or stick
that would raise above deck only if and when the water level
rose it would start to show red....
when only a white tip showed had previously...
100% mechanical using no electricity no switches as a back up
idiot stick ... if you will... just a thought :chased:

niko
09-22-2014, 09:55 AM
Why any manufacturers let the live well drain into the bilge is beyond me. Same thing in my old sea fox. Glad it ended well, scary
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Piscator
09-22-2014, 11:22 AM
I installed a second bilge system this past winter as a backup to lessen the chances of a failed switch, for a few hundred bucks its more that worth it!!!

saltyric
09-22-2014, 11:39 AM
Curious what make boat? exact thing happened to me a couple of years ago. When underway, the live well drain cant keep up and it over flows into the bilge. My bilge float was broken......once I got into harbor and slowed down, the boat was almost rolling when turning......check the hatch, FULL of water....scary stuff for sure

Liv2Fish
09-22-2014, 11:43 AM
Curious what make boat? exact thing happened to me a couple of years ago. When underway, the live well drain cant keep up and it over flows into the bilge. My bilge float was broken......once I got into harbor and slowed down, the boat was almost rolling when turning......check the hatch, FULL of water....scary stuff for sure

Nautic Star 2500XS

Guppy
09-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Scary stuff capt., kids with ya, they've had quite a season (schooling ? :) )

Noticed same thing happening last season,,, emptied a complete tube of 5200 to the top of live well bowl where it meets it's enclosure ...
Dumb arz boat builders,,, :uhuh:

Liv2Fish
09-22-2014, 12:16 PM
Scary stuff capt., kids with ya, they've had quite a season (schooling ? :) )

Noticed same thing happening last season,,, emptied a complete tube of 5200 to the top of live well bowl where it meets it's enclosure ...
Dumb arz boat builders,,, :uhuh:

Fortunately no wife or chitlans on the boat this time. I will definitely be sealing the chit out the top of both wells. There were only a few electrical connections that got wet, mostly builge and bait well pumps which I have already disconnected and cleaned with WD-40. I'm making the dealer log a report with the manufacturer incase of future issues.

Cohenfishin
09-22-2014, 02:58 PM
I installed a second bilge system this past winter as a backup to lessen the chances of a failed switch, for a few hundred bucks its more that worth it!!!

I was planning on doing the same for next year myself... I went out last weekend and just happened to open the bilge to do a float test because I haven't tested it since the beginning of the season, and when I opened the hatch there was 6" of rain water and sure enough the switch was bad( thank god I checked it) so I cut out the switch and hard wired it. So next year I'm going to put one pump on a float switch and on hard wired to a rocker on the console as back up. Well worth the extra 100$

Piscator
09-22-2014, 03:27 PM
I was planning on doing the same for next year myself... I went out last weekend and just happened to open the bilge to do a float test because I haven't tested it since the beginning of the season, and when I opened the hatch there was 6" of rain water and sure enough the switch was bad( thank god I checked it) so I cut out the switch and hard wired it. So next year I'm going to put one pump on a float switch and on hard wired to a rocker on the console as back up. Well worth the extra 100$

Make sure it has its own exit fitting, they need to be separate and not hooked up to the same hose.

Cohenfishin
09-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Make sure it has its own exit fitting, they need to be separate and not hooked up to the same hose.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device yes definately.. Wouldn't be a good idea to pump water back into the bilge through the primary pump when using the secondary...

Piscator
09-22-2014, 04:16 PM
yes definately.. Wouldn't be a good idea to pump water back into the bilge through the primary pump when using the secondary...

Sorry, what I was trying to say is make sure each bilge pump has its own house goin to its own bilge thru hull fitting. They both can be tied to 1 single bilge thru hull fitting

Raider Ronnie
09-22-2014, 09:39 PM
While you are at it this winter install a high water alarm.

big jay
09-23-2014, 06:21 AM

This.

Cheap install, and it will give you a heads up before you have real problems. Saved my butt one day.

MakoMike
09-23-2014, 10:06 AM
IMHO the first thing to do when you discover this is to turn on the bilge pumps manually. If they don't come on, then call the C.G. on the VHF and tell them what is happening. If they do come on, problem solved for the time being anyway.

I carry a manual bilge pump all rigged and ready to go, mounted on a board, for just this type of emergency.

Cohenfishin
09-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device good idea....I will do....

redlite
09-23-2014, 03:33 PM
good idea....I will do....

This possible issue with your auto pumps came immediately to mind when this thread started. But i figured u had already taken precautionary measures to prevent such an occurance. But then who gives an F. U gonna have a nice big ass contender next year so this wont be a concern anymore..... For u at least.....

wdmso
09-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Glad your safe.! are you missing the Live well strainer . My live well only has one drain and is filled from the top I have a snorkel( best i can explain) it the fits into the drain hole with a screen on top that drains the live well and keeps its from overflowing . just a thought

niko
09-23-2014, 05:55 PM
oddly enough my pump stopped working today while tog fishing and the livewell overflow started filling the bilge

Liv2Fish
09-23-2014, 06:54 PM
oddly enough my pump stopped working today while tog fishing and the livewell overflow started filling the bilge

The Tog gods are angry!

Van
09-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Glad it all worked out.

I always say when sheit goes wrong it goes wrong in a hurry.

Cohenfishin
09-23-2014, 09:14 PM
This possible issue with your auto pumps came immediately to mind when this thread started. But i figured u had already taken precautionary measures to prevent such an occurance. But then who gives an F. U gonna have a nice big ass contender next year so this wont be a concern anymore..... For u at least.....
Ya I still have to find the contender I want . Otherwise I will just run my boat one more season. So I still have to be prepared for that scenario.

numbskull
09-24-2014, 11:49 AM
There is an issue with Jabsco live well pumps of which people should be aware. They use a nylon intake fitting (it has a winged black nylon nut and white nylon tube) that with time may fatigue and fracture. If your seacock is open you will sink. My neighbor's 32' Regulator sank at the dock because of this. Likewise I had the fitting on my 21 Regulator breakoff from slight sideways arm pressure while working on an adjacent pump. Since then I close the seacock whenever I leave the boat.

piemma
09-26-2014, 10:11 AM
Glad your safe.! are you missing the Live well strainer . My live well only has one drain and is filled from the top I have a snorkel( best i can explain) it the fits into the drain hole with a screen on top that drains the live well and keeps its from overflowing . just a thought

Mine also. All the Sea Hunt boat are setup with a snorkel that drains from the top.

Liv2Fish
09-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Mine also. All the Sea Hunt boat are setup with a snorkel that drains from the top.

Yes. Same set up but it's not adequate to drain as much water as the pump will push with the spigot open all the way. My old boat was the same way but the live well just overflowed onto the deck. This one has a sealed gasketed cover but there is a gap between the side walls and the top of the well that allows water directly into the bilge. 4 hours of 450 GPH put a #^&#^&#^&#^& load of water in the bilge. It was full to the deck, hatch covers would have been floating if they were wood. I guess it's good to know how much she will take without going under. If it was rough out, I think I'd been in real trouble.

Poncho
09-30-2014, 11:36 AM
reading this thread scares the heck out of me because i am new to boat owning. First thing on my winter list is to install a marine radio. I have a hand held radio that I assume works and will be able to get me assistance, god forbid i ever need it. any recommendations on what to install and anything I might need to think about. I have a Parker 1801

Duke41
09-30-2014, 01:39 PM
get radar before you wish you had it.

Liv2Fish
09-30-2014, 02:19 PM
reading this thread scares the heck out of me because i am new to boat owning. First thing on my winter list is to install a marine radio. I have a hand held radio that I assume works and will be able to get me assistance, god forbid i ever need it. any recommendations on what to install and anything I might need to think about. I have a Parker 1801

Aside from life jackets and the usual, start with a good GPS Plotter that you can expand to include radar later if you decide you need it. Get a quality VFH with an 8' antenna and mount that up high for longer range. Register for an MSSI number and integrate the VHF and GPS for sending DSC emergency transmissions. With the push of a button, you can send out a distress call with all of your personal information, boat specifics, GPS coordinates, etc. Even emergency contact information for people on shore if you want to list them under your MSSI number.

If your hand held is water proof, put it along with some other items in a ditch bag (search threads for "whats in a ditch bag") that stays in an extremely accessible location so you can grab it and jump if you have to. If your hand held is not water proof, get a new one that is IPX7 or IPX8 rated and floats. Keep it attached to you if you're fishing alone. Test your hand held on 68 next time you're out by asking for a "radio check on 68". Ask for replies from spacific locations, you'll be surprised how short range hand held radios are. 3-5 miles at best.

Over the winter, I'm replacing my bilge pumps with two 1500GPH pumps. Each pump will have separate solid state automatic switches, one mounted higher than the other to create primary and secondary stage scenario. This will preserve battery life if one pump can handle the water entering. I'm also going to tie in a high water alarm into the secondary switch.