View Full Version : Lips on Cowboys

iamskippy
09-30-2014, 05:39 PM
I was wondering what lips are used on the SR and JR was thinking about cutting some here in my down time.

blondterror
10-04-2014, 07:51 AM
Conrad Jr and Senior Lips.

http://www.saltwaterplugs.com/metal%20lips4.htm

Most people prefer the Jr Cowboy

I have made a bunch of these and they do catch well

blondterror
10-04-2014, 07:55 AM
saltys also sells kits for both if you want to copy the profiles by buying one of each or borrow an original Beachmaster from someone

http://www.saltwaterplugs.com/cowboy%20jr%20swimmerkits.htm

iamskippy
10-04-2014, 09:57 AM
thanks BT, i am slightly embarrassed now as i thought those were Lefty lips, not sure why i didn't think of checking his site... I have masters in plexi, was thinking of using that lip on another Swimmer i turned the other day.

Ed White
10-29-2014, 03:37 PM
I'd like to take a try at building a couple of Cowboys, I've always liked the shape, just never got around to trying them, now that the lips are available I've got to give it a whirl. Never held one or even seen a real one, so a few questions.
Weighting - The Salty kits for the Jr say 3.25-3.5 ozs. for the 6" plug, that's pretty heavy. I don't think my AYC balusters are going to be big enough to turn the diameter that I'll need, but I do have some 1-3/4" sq. White Cedar which should let me get the size I need, but it's light compared to the AYC. Any thoughts on whether more lead to offset the lighter wood will work? Or should I try to source something heavier?
Dimensions - I could scale the picture from the Saltys site, but if anyone had head/shoulder/belly/tail diameters I wouldn't think less of you for giving them to me. :cheers:
I'm off to buy a handful of Conrad lips, any opinions on mid/high or low slot?

iamskippy
10-29-2014, 04:54 PM
Ed, in.my humble opinion the white cedar would be way to light, ayc is the way to go salty does sell true 1.75x1.75 which is perfect. I have both the jr and sr templates if needed.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Ed White
10-29-2014, 06:33 PM
Thanks Skippy, I guess I'll give that a shot
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device