View Full Version : Synthetic Eel Skins?

Green Light
09-30-2014, 08:43 PM
I picked up some large eels for eels skins. Getting large eels is becoming more challenging.

Are there any "synthetic" eel skin options?

PS

A black condom comes to mind. KEEP IT CLEAN BOYS AND GIRLS. ;-).

Linesider82
09-30-2014, 09:11 PM
A rubber is only good for one fish lmao, I can't believe I just typed that.

You can get two skins out of one eel. I did a northbar bottle and a SS popper using one eel. The nb I just tapered the open skin with scissors.

On a side note, it seems we always tend to think of the most novel plugs to have as skin plugs but those often require a very large eel. Point being, just use a smaller (thinner) plug.

Has anyone ever used /tried a lamprey? Could contact your states DEP to find out when they remove lampreys from fish ladders. USGS usually collects, documents and discards them during spring.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rob Rockcrawler
09-30-2014, 09:37 PM
I have seen some fabrics that look pretty eel like. I bought some a few years ago with the idea of trying it and never did. One was a snake skin looking fabric, scaled and all. Pretty cool stuff but life got in the way of that experiment.

iamskippy
10-01-2014, 06:56 AM
I dont fish eels and or skins, but would the principles behind it be some kind or scent ?

DZ
10-01-2014, 09:00 AM
You may wan't to try felt. I use it as a porkrind substitute very successfully. You can but it in sheets at any craft supply.

PaulS
10-01-2014, 09:28 AM
I fished a Jr. and a BM mini needle with skins on them this past weekend. The action was unbelievable and really looked like a live eel.

No fish though :)

chefchris401
10-01-2014, 10:07 AM
The best substitute I've found is sausage casing, you can get it at butcher shops and it's cheap, doesn't last as long but it works

Green Light
10-01-2014, 08:35 PM
You guys rock!

Thank you for the tips.

The gears in my mind are turning! ;-)

I'll keep you posted.

Tight lines (and screaming reels!)

cow tamer
10-02-2014, 07:47 AM
The best substitute I've found is sausage casing, you can get it at butcher shops and it's cheap, doesn't last as long but it works
Now that's an idea !! Do you use it as is or color it ? Does the fact that it doesn't smell fishy effect its performance ?

RIROCKHOUND
10-02-2014, 07:49 AM
Now that's an idea !! Do you use it as is or color it ? Does the fact that it doesn't smell fishy effect its performance ?

Inner tube from bikes, particularly road bikes (narrower tires)... works great on jigs; not as flexible as a skin, but little drag, and gets down in current.

I haven't tried it, but would look good on a needlefish...

Liv2Fish
10-02-2014, 08:32 AM
Amish Condoms...

Big Dave
10-02-2014, 11:00 AM
These were given to me about 15 or so years ago by a guy at the canal club named Leo Narris. He passed a yr or so ago. He used to use them at the canal. He said they worked as well as any other skin he's used. He made the rigs himself as well. I fished one a few times without success. But like a broom stick plug, at times they work.

Linesider82
10-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Big Dave are those cloth icing piping bags?

Big Dave
10-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Nope, there hand cut triangles of blue cloth hand stitched to form a tube, then tied on the rig. Pretty novel idea. At times Leo used to soak them in bunker oil. They do swim and fill with water.