View Full Version : Doesn't look good

Guppy
10-03-2014, 06:31 AM
http://m.wcvb.com/news/man-missing-after-boat-sinks-off-new-england-coast/28384980

The Coast Guard is searching for a missing boater after his fishing boat sank

Jackbass
10-03-2014, 06:44 AM
That's not good news at all
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnR
10-03-2014, 07:07 AM
Wow - hope they get him, 2 out of 3 rescued - 17' boat down off Little Compton

nightfighter
10-03-2014, 07:48 AM
There are four S-B members locally who share group texts on almost daily basis during the fall on fishing reports and conditions. Last evening I sent out a group text with three photos to confirm that surf fishing was not doable.... Waves breaking well overhead with lots of seaweed airborne as well. I also mentioned that another friend had his 19' Parker out in those conditions and looked like a cork getting tossed around... One of the group said it was a good way to lose a boat. Good seamanship sometimes means not going.... T&P to the families.

DZ
10-03-2014, 08:09 AM
I was out and the wind was cranking pretty good. Not sure if there were small craft advisories put out. Some decent swells. Conditions not ideal for a 17 footer.

blue oyster
10-03-2014, 09:13 AM
i hope for the best finding the boater . i have been on vacation this week and have only been out once , weather just to nasty , not enjoyable fishing when trying to fish and hang on to boat at the same time .

1dozenraw
10-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Possibly heading in and got overtaken by a wave.. "broached" or just out when they should have stayed home. Too bad.

paradoxjim
10-03-2014, 11:21 AM
Good seamanship sometimes means not going.....

Well said. It also includes not being too proud to turn around and come in when conditions are not what you had hoped for.

FishermanTim
10-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Sometimes that "little voice inside your head" is really a life-saver!

I can't speak for others, but when that proverbial "warning bell" goes off in my head, I pay attention!
Sure, when we were all younger we took some risks, but as we got older the tools and methods of taking risks got bigger and more dangerous.

That reminds me of the boater regulation that states "life jackets MUST be worn from 9/15 thru 3/15.

I wear mine EVERY time I kayak.
When asked why, I simply say "I can't plan ahead for the event where I get knocked out (of the kayak and unconscious), and this will help keep me afloat until help arives."

We don't normally plan to put ourselves in harms way, although some of our actions could be called into question.

I pray for the family, and hope for the best possible outcome.