View Full Version : Camping At The Cape - Atlantic Oaks?

Jim in CT
10-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Looking to camp for a week next year on the Cape Cod. We like the Wellfleet - Truro stretch. Me, wife, 3 boys who will be 8, 5, 4 next summer. Don't need a lot of luxuries at the campground, as we'll be out all day. Clean, quiet, family-friendly is what we're looking for. Any comments or other suggestions?

Thanks.

Guppy
10-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Sorry I don't ! wish I did though. I've been asked what's a good motel to stay at,,, how the heck would I know, I live here LOL

That sure sound like a great vaca,,, perfect age for the boys, I miss those days,,, have a great one.

l.i.fish.in.vt
10-03-2014, 04:26 PM
Jim,Adventure bound or adventure bound at Hortons they are in Truro

Rappin Mikey
10-03-2014, 09:48 PM
What he said

Sea Dangles
10-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Head of the meadow
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Higgie
10-04-2014, 04:23 AM
Hortons has a little more seclusion for each site but is at least a mile walk to the water where as head of the meadow I felt like the sites were on too of each other but it's much closer walk to the beach. Had a large group at Hortons this summer and the place was really clean

Jim in CT
10-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Jim,Adventure bound or adventure bound at Hortons they are in Truro

My wife checked that out, loved everything, BUT they don't allow campfires. I'd have a riot on my hands if we didn't have a fire every night with marshmallows and hot dogs being cooked to smoky perfection.

Are you affiliated with Nelson's? When we went to the Cape in 2012, you may have recommended Bath Ann Charters to us, we did a trip with Capt Rich and my oldest, who was 5 at the time. He caught 2 keepers, Rich put his picture in the local paper, BOY did he feel like a big shot. Can't wait to go again...

Jim in CT
10-04-2014, 07:13 AM
Also, I should have mentioned, we tow a 23-foot camper, which I think rules out the campground at Head Of The Meadow, which is mostly tents, but my book says they allow trailers to 19 feet...we'd prefer an RV site with full hookups.

Jim in CT
10-04-2014, 07:17 AM
We were on the Cape in 2012 when my kids were 5, 2, and 1. One of the best things we did was go out on a lobster boat for 2 hours and watch the lobsterman pull his traps, and see what was inside. The guy we did that with has moved to FL. Anyone know a captain who does lobster charters out near Truro?

Poncho
10-04-2014, 02:59 PM
http://www.mauricescampground.com/. Check this spot out I have never camped there but driven by it a million times. It is close to bike path mini golf and ocean looms pretty cool I hope this helps

RickBomba
10-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Yeah, I think Mikey and I stayed at Maurices back in the early 90's. They allowed campfires.

I filled up my propane tanks there this year. They are super nice.

They were pretty frank about letting us stay for the time that we were there, but let us know that there were better sites for hellraisers like us in 1990.

It seemed like a good family place.

I like the campground in Truro. No fires, though.

Jenn
10-04-2014, 06:45 PM
I like the campground in Truro. No fires, though.

Did not make it this year but unless they changed it again fires were allowed a while back but you need to rent the fire pit and get the special wood. I didn't mind this because for years nothing was allowed at all, I believe this was a town rule due to the nature of the area.

I would not recommend the one on the road to Head of the Meadow, stayed there once years ago and the owner was a real piece of work. I specifically asked if a late arrival was okay because we would not be in until about 11 p.m. and was told over the phone "no problem" (twice because I repeated myself just to make sure) so when we arrived we literally backed into the site, shut the truck off and were just going to crash and officially set up in the morning but he came out screaming at us (after truck was parked and turned off mind you) saying we had to leave because it was quiet time, so we told him we weren't going to be setting up till morning and just wanted to crawl into the rack.....nope, had to leave until morning he said. Sooooo since everywhere else was booked we had no choice but to find a lot for the night and return the next day....not happy. Don't think they are as "accepting" of fishermans early/late comings and goings here either....

l.i.fish.in.vt
10-05-2014, 08:14 AM
Jim,i worked at Nelson's the prevoius 5 or 6 years to this season,made a bad decision to do a kitchen this summer. i stay at ABC.they do allow fires in fire pits.i think the sites at Hortons come with pit,but with young kids i think ABC would be a better choice,loads of young kids biking and skate boarding they rent pedal cars. you can also get fire permits for the beachs,both town and national seashore but you have to be quick.they go fast.unless you plan on hanging around wellfleet i wouldn't want to fight traffic heading up to truro/ptown.

fishonnelsons
10-13-2014, 08:28 AM
We were on the Cape in 2012 when my kids were 5, 2, and 1. One of the best things we did was go out on a lobster boat for 2 hours and watch the lobsterman pull his traps, and see what was inside. The guy we did that with has moved to FL. Anyone know a captain who does lobster charters out near Truro?

Jim - Rich from Beth Ann Charters and Nelsons - Chris Townscend, who you did the lobster charter with, is back in town - doesn't advertise but his boat is on the same pier, about 4 down from the Beth Ann.

gf2020
10-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Had our Scout troop at Maurice's a few weeks ago. Caters more to the RV and travel trailer crowd but does have tent sites that are right on the bike trail. Place must be pretty tight during the summer season, no campfires allowed.

OLD GOAT
10-23-2014, 03:23 PM
How about Dunes edge? any report on it???

OLD GOAT
10-23-2014, 03:30 PM
How about Dunes edge? any report on it???

Jim in CT
10-24-2014, 03:08 PM
Jim - Rich from Beth Ann Charters and Nelsons - Chris Townscend, who you did the lobster charter with, is back in town - doesn't advertise but his boat is on the same pier, about 4 down from the Beth Ann.

Yes, Chris Townscend! Can't tell you how much my kids loved that trip.

Rich, do you remember me? We did a trip with my then five year old, on Fathers Day 2012, you put his picture (with me, holding a keeper) in the local paper. I am looking at that photo on my desk as I type this. He still talks about the day on your boat and the day with Capt Chris. He was going to FL to captain a yacht as I remember.

fishonnelsons
10-26-2014, 05:34 AM
Yes, Chris Townscend! Can't tell you how much my kids loved that trip.

Rich, do you remember me? We did a trip with my then five year old, on Fathers Day 2012, you put his picture (with me, holding a keeper) in the local paper. I am looking at that photo on my desk as I type this. He still talks about the day on your boat and the day with Capt Chris. He was going to FL to captain a yacht as I remember.

I remember - your son caught the fish over in the bay by the old holiday inn and I did put the pic in the paper. Swing by next season and we'll do it again!

Raven
10-26-2014, 09:37 AM
They were pretty frank about letting us stay for the time that we were there, but let us know that there were better sites for hellraisers like us in 1990.

Ran into HELLRAISERS up in MAINE .... UP all night drunk as a skunk
blowing into one of those long stemmed bugles all night LONG

by 7 am were were loaded up and leaving ...had enough ....
and these bastids were in the campground across the river....
got zero :sleeps: