View Full Version : Edible sea creatures ?

bloocrab
07-08-2003, 09:10 AM
This is in lieu of Notaro's ..."Edible Pollock" thread....

Is there anything that comes from the ocean that you wouldn't ever want to try??...and why?? The "Why" is what I'd really like to hear about.

I have tried many - many offerings from the sea, some I liked more than others...but I really can't say I "hated" one specifically. They all had their moments. From Octupus to Silversides...Slippershells to Herring...Sea Robins to Green Crabs....Choggies to Dogfish....etc..etc..etc...

There are only a few critters that I'd eat raw...but I'm pretty certain I'd try anything if cooked. :)

Quick Story:

**Waaay back when...there was a man who lived on my street, Octavio was his name. Well let's just say, Octavio had a severe drinking problem. It would be NO surprise to us, to get home from fishing on a Sunday morning and find Octavio wandering the streets...completely trashed. This is even before the 8am church ceremony. This one morning, we were unloading the olds' station wagon after spending a night @ the Melville Pier and along comes Octavio. He see's my father pull out a couple of large Squeteague from the night before and starts yapping/slurring away. It's sad now, but at the time he was quite entertaining. My father had NO respect for him...and would take advantage of his state. After putting all the gear away, my father and one of my uncles decided to have a 'rewarding' shooter, for theirs nights' sacrifice. Needless to say, Octavio wanted to partake in this ceremony. After quite a few laughs, my father and unlce decided that in order for Octavio to earn a 'shooter' he would have to sacrifice something himself. On this morning, that sacrifice would be eating a sandworm :yak4:
Octavio, without any hesitation...reached into the flat, of course being as drunk as he was...picked up what he could see, one of the fattest remaining sea-worms, and proceeded to chew. Worm blood emitted from both corners of his mouth, thinking back, it was almost like a dracula effect. :( He earned his 'shooter' for the day...as we laughed aloud, and were grossed out at the same time. Kids, Don't try this at home!!!

Needless to say, I WON'T try sandworms. :) raw...:p

Van
07-08-2003, 09:28 AM
Jellyfish...
They do serve them in chinatown, but there is no freakin way
i would even attempt to eat that disgusting sea slime !!!!!
The "why" is because it is gelatinous slop and I see absolutely no value in injesting that creature.!!!!!
(I don't lke Jello either!)
V.

fishweewee
07-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Well, there are a few things that even omnivorous folks will studiously avoid eating.

I have yet to get one of my friends to sample the juicy sandworm.

Edible? Maybe.

Palatable? Me think not.

-WW

p.s. Green crabs are disgusting.

jugstah
07-08-2003, 09:46 AM
Does Seaweed count/

I've read about people who eat seaweed but i dont think its palatable either... :)

mrmacey
07-08-2003, 09:59 AM
over in japan the meals you eat on the town look so nice but its mostly raw fish and seaweed wrap didnt know what i was eating because of that state bloo was talking about you know i never would eat squid because of the name octapus, ugly = nasty tasting but once i tried it i cant get enough of fried calamari that stuff is good!!! see you cant judge the book by the cover and after seeing whats edible on fear factor sea worms look good!!!

NilsC
07-08-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by jugstah
Does Seaweed count/

I've read about people who eat seaweed but i dont think its palatable either... :)

Seaweed is used alot, and sold under different trade names.

Nori Seaweed
Diet Nutrition
Nori is normally sold in dried sheets. It is one of the easist ways to eat seaweed. Nori is best used to wrap around small rice balls which are then dipped in shoyu. After soaking, Nori can be added to soup or used as a salad ingredient.

Nori, and all other seaweed, is a rich source of calcium, zinc and idoine. It is also a good source of Lignans which help fight cancer.

Because it comes from the sea, seaweed contains sodium and anyone on a sodium-restricted diet should be careful with the amounts they eat. Wakame has the highest sodium content, with kelp and laver having significantly less.

here is a link to some snack http://www.vegecyber.com/cgi-bin/vege_item.cgi?&type=Snacks

Krispy
07-08-2003, 10:46 AM
spider crab :sick:

Christian
07-08-2003, 10:58 AM
bunker are gross. both raw and cooked. ive only tried the little peanuts though. i do/eat weird things when im bored.:) :spin:

likwid
07-08-2003, 11:04 AM
kids... you see what kids do?
oi!

urchin roe is *interesting* :eek5:
flying fish roe is actually really good on sushi

MikeTLive
07-08-2003, 11:31 AM
Always use high quality bait.

You never know when you will need to choose between eating skunk or eating bait!

JohnR
07-08-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by jugstah
Does Seaweed count/

I've read about people who eat seaweed but i dont think its palatable either... :) I had some higrade Japanese seaweed last week - still tasted like crap... But my wife likes it - dried sheets of green sea weed.

I agree with Krispy on the Spider Crabs... :yak:

Won't eat eels, I fish enough that I don't want consumption to further the population decline

likwid
07-08-2003, 12:12 PM
smoked eel is another great one

i eye my bait eels every once in a while :D

beachwalker
07-08-2003, 01:13 PM
Wakame is the pickled Japanese seawees and it is great. Try it out at a sushi restaurant sometime. Makes a good app.....

Mike P
07-08-2003, 02:01 PM
Never tried pogies but I have enough feedback to know I never will. I was snagging them once from the bridge over the Weweantic and some Noo Yawkuh asked what I was catching. When I said "pogies" he thought I said "porgies" and asked if he could have a few :D Sure thing, be my guest :smash:

Mackerel, dogfish, false albacore, any kind of herring, spider crabs, all :yak:

Iwannakeeper
07-08-2003, 02:12 PM
I love mackeral sushi. It is not servered Raw, I think they steam it.

Is anyone else a fan of Mackeral?

MakoMike
07-08-2003, 03:17 PM
I also like Mackerel sushi and sashimi. Its usually picked in brine, to kill parasites, before its served.

bloocrab
07-08-2003, 03:19 PM
JohnR...do you like Lobster??..some compare it to eels - - Conger, being the better eel.

I agree with the spider-crab comments. It tastes exactly how it looks. I've had it more than once. I was under the impression that a spidercrab caught in cleaner waters...would have better/cleaner tasting paws...:smash: I gave up on that theory.

Mackerel ??...DDDDDelicious. From tinker size on down...<<Deep Fry>>...sometimes head & all. Anything above that, gets baked in the oven. It's definately an acquired taste - :cool:

Seaweeds' like salad...it's all in the dressing ;)

Jellyfish??!!?? :uhoh: Thats definatley on the NO-WAY list...and I like jello. I brought some Octupus over to Cuttyhunk last year...2 out of 10 even dared to try it :confused: Which has a better diet, a chicken or an octupus? Some people say they won't eat bait. Isn't everything bait for something ...?...

Anyone ever try butterfish? ... it didn't do much for me.

Iwannakeeper
07-08-2003, 03:27 PM
another aquired taste that looks like Jelly is shark fin soup server in Asia restaraunts.

I haven't met a single person, except those of asia decent that like shark fin soup.

Agreed on the seaweed salad - the seaweed is nothing special, but the dressing is awesome.

And lastly, anyone who goes to Sushi bars - ask for Ika (Squid) salad. It has a bar-b-q sauce, gilled and thinly slice. Then tossed with a dressing similiar, but different than seaweed salad. the Fuji in Quincy has it.

And while we are on the subject - does anyone else think that Uni (Urchin Roe) tastes about the same as Lobster Tomale?

beachwalker
07-08-2003, 05:25 PM
John,

Do you look like a conger eel ?

Sorry Notaro. Still getting a giggle out of things :p

likwid
07-08-2003, 06:44 PM
Conger Eel is great!
Drag em outa the offshore lobster pots and cut em right there for the ice...

Duke41
07-08-2003, 08:16 PM
One time I was in Japan on business and wentout to a Sushi Bar and the SOB I was with ordered me a sea cucumber with a raw quails egg broken over it. It looked like a huge pile of gull crap and tasted pretty awful.

StripperSearch
07-08-2003, 08:40 PM
tried raw sea urchin once in a japanese restaurant. orange slimy gross. :yak6:

raw shrimp is pretty gross too.

Raven
07-09-2003, 05:38 AM
Mineral's are easily derived from products of the sea....and the one best known for that is kelp that grows hundreds of feet tall , ALL without a root system.....none....no roots period. Sure they anchor themselves to a rock but theres no roots. So they have to absorb all their nutrients directly from the seawater. The magic of minerals on the human body is very underated. We have needs for micro minerals in super small amounts....even gold that make many neurochemical reactions occur. My favorite fish is red snapper.... a pacific fish for the most part along with orange roughy are superb tasting fish. As for seaweed i prefer dulse although it is rather salty. Maybe if i were at some classy sushi bar eating weird stuff off of a naked chick while completely DRUNK i might try some other things....but i doubt it.

STEVE IN MASS
07-09-2003, 06:05 AM
I use dulse all the time....dried, right out of the bag, crumbled on salad. It is delicious. It is also good in soup. (Dulse is a purple seaweed - Donna gets it at the health food store).

Eel is yummy, filleted, breaded and fried - one of the sweetest tasting fish you'd ever eat.....similiar to blowfish, which is another favorite.

I like smoked mackeral as well.

Probably isn't much I wouldn't try at least once, perhaps jellyfish as stated above, but even that I think I'd give a go.

Moose Nuckle
07-09-2003, 06:26 AM
I would never eat a SEA MONKEY !!!!! WE DON'T EAT OUR OWN.:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

JohnR
07-09-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Moose Nuckle
I would never eat a SEA MONKEY !!!!! WE DON'T EAT OUR OWN.:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: Probably because of the stench... http://www.striped-bass.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/new/fart.gif

bassmaster
07-09-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Krispy
spider crab :sick:
eeeeeeeeBud,,, gross

bassmaster
07-09-2003, 07:43 AM
whats up with that orange junk in the lobster

fishweewee
07-09-2003, 11:08 AM
Eel is delicious and one of my favorites.

However, if you've looked at any of the nutrition labels...the damn things are very high in cholesterol. :(

-WW

killerlexus
07-09-2003, 11:43 AM
salty and spicy eels are good.eels cut in to chunks and then covered in a batter then fried and stir fried again with hot peppers.kind of like calimary but not chewy..taste like fried nuggets from the ocean :happy: :happy: :happy:
the jelly fish they serve in chinatown doesnt look like jelly fish.the dish has a slight tint to it,and shredded and its kinda crunchy not slimy..you would not know it was jelly fish unless some one told you..:smash:

Bass Nut
07-09-2003, 12:36 PM
Beach Whistles

:smash: :smash: :smash:

BN.

Jimbo
07-09-2003, 02:05 PM
I'll try most any seafood with some substance to it, and indeed have, but there are two I draw the line at. The first is Rocky Mountain Spotted Oysters. I dunno, maybe it's that they were not freshly harvested.
The second one I would have to respond like that Dr Seuss classic:
Do you like to eat jellyfish?
I do not like them Jim I am
I would not eat them as you wish
I would not eat a jellyfish.

KLMulder
07-09-2003, 04:32 PM
The orange stuff in lobster are eggs, green is liver and white is fat take all 3 and mix very well ( now it will be brown ) add butter and you will love it.

Notaro
07-09-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by fishweewee
Eel is delicious and one of my favorites.
what kind of eels are u trefering to?

I won't try:
1)Goosefish-Afraid of venoms
2)searobin- cannot imagine myself eating it.
3)skate- why would i want to eat a towel looking fish?
4)yellowtail- as for sashami, it doesn't suit me and it's expensive
5)squid (except for calmari)- i don't want to choke on the beaks
6)eels in Chinese style- too meaty and bones. I like eels in Japanese style.

Squid kids Dad
07-09-2003, 04:57 PM
I love littlenecks & mermaids...Not neccesarily in that order... :drool:

Notaro
07-09-2003, 05:02 PM
I loved to eat:
-striper bec the meat is good and mild when it come to grilling.
-macks when it smoked
-lobsters in any form
-clams -juicy and tender
-scallops-sweet and meaty
-black sea bass-in chinese style, it's an orgasmic
-haddocks the meat is great
-cods- yummy
-salmon- rich in protein and other hnuritions
-crabs
-oysters
-jellyfish
-flukes, they are supereb

Haven't tried yet:
-scup
-blues
-tuna
-dorado
-tautog
-cunners

StripperSearch
07-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Ney notaro - what did you do with all the blues you caught a couple of weeks ago? you didnt' eat em?

That orange stuff in lobsters i think is lobster roe. I don't really like it, it's probably bad for you too...

beachwalker
07-09-2003, 05:15 PM
Notaro,

5 out of 6 in your "haven't tried" list are going to be "keepers".

Smoke the bluefish
The Tuna is of a few different varieties. You mentioned "Yellowtail" as expensive, etc. in a previous comment.
As Tuna it is YELLOWFIN and it is incredible. Japenese refer to it as AHI.
Yellowtail is a tropical reef fish and it is pretty dam good.
Dorado is killer. also known as Dolphin or Mahi Mahi.
Scup. Well, you will be raving when you finally chomp on it.
Tautog. Same......
Cunner ? Wow, you are brave.

How'sbout Barnacle ?
Crushed Clam shell
Seagull droppings ?
Eel saliva ?

Just a few more ocean delicacies

Christian
07-09-2003, 05:28 PM
cunners good. tastes like fish

STRIPER77
07-09-2003, 08:14 PM
I've often wondered why no-one ever speaks of eating Starfish--they eat good stuff(clams and oysters). Does anyone know if they're edible????:(

Goose
07-09-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by STRIPER77
I've often wondered why no-one ever speaks of eating Starfish--they eat good stuff

star fish??? O-yeah, taste just like chicken:laugha:

bloocrab
07-10-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by beachwalker
..How'sbout Barnacle ?

That is a delicacy in Europe. Then again...their barnacles are huge...I mean mamouth sized...they get a B+ from me. :kewl:

Jim O
07-10-2003, 12:40 PM
My 13 yr old son was on a field tripe this spring with his school to the marsh in Mattapoisett and boys being boys some kid dared my son to eat a silverside ( little did he know my son is a big fan of shushi I taught him to eat good food at way too young an age)
So he pops it in his mouth and the other kid barfed on his own shoes which of course set off another kid which set off another kid. Who gets in trouble ? My kid, the teacher asked him "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING" .His response -"Wish I had some wasabi".:D

StripperSearch
07-10-2003, 03:05 PM
LMAO!! that's classic! :btu:

killerlexus
07-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Rocky MOuntin Oysters are NOT seafood..they come from a buffalo...:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash

fishweewee
07-10-2003, 08:37 PM
I have a confession.

I hate eating blue crabs. They taste okay, but you have to eat a million of them to make a meal. Too much work for dinner.

They're much better as tog bait.

Okay, now Gilly's gonna beat me up for saying this.

I'm waiting. :laughs:

Notaro
07-11-2003, 06:07 AM
elmer- my dad's friend, uncle wing loves blues and when he heard abt our catches, he immediately told my pop to save some for him.

bw- of course, i know that. i would like to try those fishes in american style.
as for your suggestion, "How'sbout Barnacle ?
Crushed Clam shell
Seagull droppings ?
Eel saliva ?"
that's disgusting. and as for the eel saliva, you are still getting giggles from my post abt what does johnr look like, right?;)

fww- i like dungeon crabs and stone crabs. crabs from the west coast is okay. i prefer our state's crab.

beachwalker
07-11-2003, 06:21 AM
Notaro,

Yes, still getting a kick out of the Eel thing. I keep chuckling away.
It was almost like the Police lineup for a bit there.....:)

Did you see Bloocrabs comments on Barnacle ?

I know it is probably a typo but....... It is Dungeness Crab not
Dungeon crab. Dungeon crabs are itchy and, though they may provide a nice snack while you are incarcerated, they generally cause discomfort because the live in your fur :eek:

Eel saliva is a delicacy in many countries.....

Notaro
07-11-2003, 06:07 PM
[B
Eel saliva is a delicacy in many countries..... [/B]

how do you prepare a eel salvia anyway?

beachwalker
07-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Eel Saliva preparation

First you go down to the creek and pull your secret eel traps.
Take 8 to ten american eels and place them in a bucket.
Make sure you have a spare, empty bucket.
Travel to your favorite fishing spot and hook an eel up and cast it out there.
Land one large cow of a Bass (hopefully getting your eel back)
and repeat.
GO TO SLEEP.
In the AM transfer remaining 7-10 eels to the second pail and you will notice some translucent slime in the original eel bucket.
Pour into a mixing bowl and place in the refrigerator.

Repeat excercise for 3 days and you will have approximately 3-5 oz. of eel saliva and about 80-120lbs. of Striped Bass.

The eel saliva makes a GREAT marinade for the bass or works well for lubricating your reel gearing. I have also heard that lonely men have found it very useful.

For more refined recipes see Martha Stewarts "Eel saliva favorites" in the cooking section of your local bookstore.

;)

Notaro
07-11-2003, 07:52 PM
Eel I have also heard that lonely men have found it very useful.
Interesting, BW. Lonely men?!? What do you mean by that? Thos who haven't got a "thing" for a while?:rolleyes:

beachwalker
07-11-2003, 08:22 PM
Actually I think they were talking about getting the "thang" but I am not sure. I just heard some people talking about it and I am not sure what they meant.

Maybe John knows. Could you point out which one is John ? I wasn't paying attention when he introduced himself.

;)

Notaro
07-11-2003, 08:23 PM
:zup: oohh, you... :)

beachwalker
07-11-2003, 11:26 PM
Sorry Notaro,

Some things are too much fun.

You take it well :) :) :)