View Full Version : where to buy shrink wrap

wdmso
10-15-2014, 04:32 AM
good place to buy boat shrink wrap ? and a decent price .

and what width do most people use ? thanks

buckman
10-15-2014, 08:23 AM
Hamilton Marine online has everything
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Nebe
10-15-2014, 08:43 AM
A good trigger operated propane torch (bush burner) is the secret weapon.

ivanputski
10-15-2014, 11:05 AM
in the end, its cheaper to pay someone to do it right the first time

Raider Ronnie
10-15-2014, 11:19 AM
http://www.jfreeman.com/

seadogg
10-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Like Ivan says, it's as cost effective to pay someone unless you have a friend that is very familiar with the process and possesses the correct tools to help get the job done. There's more to it than buying shrink film for cheap. Don't forget framework, strapping, tape and a heat gun, which will cost a few bills. Get a "discount" heat gun and you risk botching the whole gig.

striperman36
10-26-2014, 11:39 AM
Build a shed, http://24.154.167.53:8888/greenhouse/greenhouse.html

wdmso
10-26-2014, 07:37 PM
Build a shed, http://24.154.167.53:8888/greenhouse/greenhouse.html

Thanks for the vote of confidence , but thats far beyond my skill level

Got Stripers
10-28-2014, 09:28 AM
in the end, its cheaper to pay someone to do it right the first time

I'd disagree with that contention. I purchased a 3/4 full roll, gun and some supplies from a fellow employee who had sold his boat. I watched some very helpful videos online and really only had a few thin spots first time out of the gate, but for my 20 foot center console with T-top, it's not all that complicated a job. I can get mine done in a single morning and put away and definitely save half the cost of paying someone. Having said that, if I had the $300 to burn, sure I'd have someone do it. I'd rather take that money saved and have the boat winterized and ready to rock and roll come spring. If I had room, I'd get a big arse cover-it and not do anything, without a man cave; I could at least sit in the boat on a milder winter day and have a beer:(.

Guppy
10-28-2014, 01:25 PM
I could at least sit in the boat on a milder winter day and have a beer:(.

Very, Very , common LOL

Duke41
10-29-2014, 02:04 PM
I do my own my brothers and my dads for a total of 5 boats we save a fortune. Get all the stuff from defender marine on line.

striperman36
10-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence , but thats far beyond my skill level

this was easy I did it

MrHunters
11-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Its way cheaper than having someone do it for you.. its also kind of fun too. We did it for the first time last year and not knowing what we were doing it came out just fine... not pretty.. but was looking for functional, who cares how pretty your wrap looks as long as it serves the purpose you intend for it. Just remember to not stay in one spot too long with the torch. Shrink wrap tape is your friend and save the beer for when you are done.. this is not a project where the two mix well. :)

Got Stripers
11-10-2014, 09:09 AM
I banged it out this past Saturday, every time gets easier and I need fewer tape repairs for the inevitable hole where you get the shrink wrap a bit too hot. Took just about 2 hours start to finish, will post some pictures of some of the set-up after I download them, might be helpful for anyone thinking about doing it themselves.

Got Stripers
11-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Here are a few pics of my prep work, 1/2" nylon reinforced strapping around the perimeter and held in place by some loops off cleats; obviously getting that tight is important. But I've found no need to purchase the tools they sell to tighten.

Got Stripers
11-12-2014, 02:40 PM
I purchase these two pieces which allow me to run the strapping up and over electronics and the running lights. I set up the roll of shrink wrap on a couple saw horses, old pvc tube, so I can pull up and over the boat myself.

Got Stripers
11-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Next its up and over, spread out the shrink wrap and tuck it as tightly as I can under the perimeter strapping. This of course all is done early am ahead of the wind coming up, or you are in trouble. Then it's connect the gun to my propane tank, get the fire place gloves handy so I can avoid burning my hand as I work the shrink wrap where tucked in.

Got Stripers
11-12-2014, 02:58 PM
There are so many videos out there, I won't even begin to describe how to shrink the damn stuff, let's just say keep the gun moving and go slow. The shrink wrap tape in 2" width's will cover the inevitable holes due to having the gun too close or too long on a particular spot, can recommend it more highly. You will be surprised how many uses you will find for that stuff around the house, it's duct tape on steroids.

After the shrinking job, I go back around and slit a few spots and tie in the perimeter band to my trailer, as insurance. I buy a few adhesive vents for the top bow/stern to insure some air circulation and tuck the boat away. Again, even without any experience, I watched a few videos online, bought the gun, tape, shrink wrap, strapping and patch tape and saved a lot of money over the past 4 years. I have yet to spend more the 3 hours doing it start to finish.

Guppy
11-12-2014, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the play by play, was on the fence but not anymore,

Not ready to call it quits just yet either, used her today for a trifecta

rf-newtab:http%3A//www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/attachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D60061%26stc%3D1%26 d%3D1415825042

Got Stripers
11-14-2014, 10:49 AM
finished product

Guppy
11-14-2014, 11:07 AM
finished product

Nice, come do mine! :cool:
Looking to buy all the stuff today $$$$$,, BOATS