View Full Version : winterizing boat

Poncho
10-16-2014, 01:04 PM
Hey guys just curious as to how long you guys wait to winterize boats. and just in general how late do you guys fish when is time to pull the plug so to speak?

niko
10-16-2014, 01:13 PM
1st week of december

nightfighter
10-16-2014, 01:34 PM
I will pull the boat after fishing this weekend. Usually gets winterized within days after hauling out. I have usually been hauling on Oct 30 or 31st, since on the water coverage expires on Nov1. Always colder than I wish when doing all the wet work of power washing, cleaning and putting it away. Getting the cover on is a priority as it becomes a magnet for leaves.... I got out less this season than any season before, by a lot.

sburnsey931
10-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Fish Thanksgiving weekend and done.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRBuzz
10-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Late Nov/early Dec depending upon forecast. Make sure to put fuel stabilizer, give one last ocean run, top off gas tank. Jack the BeeReel up and put trailer on blocks. Give her a powerwash, flush engine with water/antifreeze, and put cover on. MARCH can't come soon enough. BTW Suzuki 150 4 cycle. About every month plug in onboard battery charger to power, I have never removed batteries for Winter. Dec 8th, 2013

nightfighter
10-16-2014, 04:11 PM
Antifreeze in any plumbing/pumps like livewell too.

bassballer
10-16-2014, 06:17 PM
I'm out the week before thanksgiving

Cohenfishin
10-17-2014, 03:57 AM
1st week of december

X2

wdmso
10-17-2014, 04:31 AM
Buzz what brand is your cover? and did you get your hull size or did you factor in the Motor . may be a better choice seeing I'll have the boat for next 15 years Thanks

PRBuzz
10-17-2014, 05:58 AM
Buzz what brand is your cover? and did you get your hull size or did you factor in the Motor . may be a better choice seeing I'll have the boat for next 15 years Thanks

I made a similar decision 7 years ago and went with the custom cover from http://www.boatcoversdirect.com/

I am pretty sure it is a Carver cover. You just find your boat model/length from the menu and choose fabric. They design to include engine. I have no problems with putting mine on/off alone and now 6 years old and still looks new. Snow can build up on bow area but I just clean off with a broom. Kepping cover tight is the key.

piemma
10-17-2014, 07:06 AM
I will pull the boat after fishing this weekend. Usually gets winterized within days after hauling out. I have usually been hauling on Oct 30 or 31st, since on the water coverage expires on Nov1. Always colder than I wish when doing all the wet work of power washing, cleaning and putting it away. Getting the cover on is a priority as it becomes a magnet for leaves.... I got out less this season than any season before, by a lot.

I pulled this past week and had her winterized. My mechanic said I ran 148 hours. That's half of my usual 300 hours every year. Just nothing great to fish for after mid-July. I did the fluke, scup and BSB thing but you just cannot teach an old dog new tricks. I am a bass fisherman. Always have been and will be.

PRBuzz
10-17-2014, 07:57 AM
I pulled this past week and had her winterized. My mechanic said I ran 148 hours. That's half of my usual 300 hours every year. Just nothing great to fish for after mid-July. I did the fluke, scup and BSB thing but you just cannot teach an old dog new tricks. I am a bass fisherman. Always have been and will be.

I did about half the usual hours on my boat also this season, tough weather conditions even during the week.

Moses
10-17-2014, 11:52 AM
I typically make a decision 2nd week in Nov on whether I'll fish up to Txsgiving or not. I prefer to drop off for winterization/shrink wrap, etc.. before Txsgiving. Then I store at a friend's summer house for winter.

Then usually pick up last week March/1st week April and start all over again.

nightfighter
10-18-2014, 06:22 PM
I would bet that I did less than 48 hours.... and it shows with the amount of growth I found when I pulled it out. 13 times out on it this year, including launching and hauling... I would normally do that in two weeks. A season to forget. Hell, it hardly happened!

Poncho
10-19-2014, 02:04 PM
I bought my boat in late June. And went about six times in the ocean and multiple timeS at my lake at home, I am contemplating a slip next year in ri but to justify the slip vs gas hauling I have to go 20 times. It is sick that it is almost nov I feel like I barely used the boat I wish it was may

piemma
10-20-2014, 05:47 AM
I bought my boat in late June. And went about six times in the ocean and multiple timeS at my lake at home, I am contemplating a slip next year in ri but to justify the slip vs gas hauling I have to go 20 times. It is sick that it is almost nov I feel like I barely used the boat I wish it was may

You will use the boat a lot more if you have a slip. It's lot easier to drive to the marina than it is to launch the boat everytime you want to use it.

zacs
10-20-2014, 07:11 AM
You will use the boat a lot more if you have a slip. It's lot easier to drive to the marina than it is to launch the boat everytime you want to use it.

very true. and easier to clean. and so many other perks...

Poncho
10-20-2014, 12:35 PM
I am not sure about keeping the boat in the salt water. i have heard to many negative things, corrosion bottom paint, ect. if I did it I would most likely opt for a
Parking spot at marina where they vallet your trailer in and out for you. Do you guys have any thought on dry slip vs wet slip

Liv2Fish
10-20-2014, 12:47 PM
Most boats aren't "slip ready" from the factory. Dual batteries, adequate bulge pumps, shore power connections or solar charger to keep batteries fresh, lockable compartments, adequate zincs to minimize electrolysis. Check your insurance policy - costs more to leave unattended in the water, fuel dock prices - unless you want to haul to file up. I'm sure there are many other things to consider.

It would be sweet to just head on down and zip on out there from a slip. I like to have it in my driveway so I can do maintenance, play with electronics etc. Launching and Hauling isn't a big deal for me. live 10 miles from 3 sweet ramps.

piemma
10-20-2014, 01:58 PM
I am not sure about keeping the boat in the salt water. i have heard to many negative things, corrosion bottom paint, ect. if I did it I would most likely opt for a
Parking spot at marina where they vallet your trailer in and out for you. Do you guys have any thought on dry slip vs wet slip

My boat has been in the salt water for 8 seasons. Yeah, I paint the bottom, have duel batteries and have to replace the zincs every year but the convenience of driving to my boat and jumping in and going far out weight the minor inconvenience of the slip.

The Valet deal is sweet but I think you need deep pockets as it's expensive.

Got Stripers
10-20-2014, 02:12 PM
The last two years I've been lucky to hit some good Tog days the end of October, but then I usually winterize the first couple weeks of November. Years ago when I winter fished at the Thames, I never winterized, just plugged in my on board charger after every trip and made sure to drain the water well after each trip.

zacs
10-20-2014, 03:38 PM
The Valet deal is sweet but I think you need deep pockets as it's expensive.

coincidentally, i called point judith marina in snug harbor a couple of weeks ago to explore the rack storage, where you call 30 mins ahead of time and they have your boat waiting for you in the water...

$210 a foot or something crazy like that.....

i have never met anyone that has actually had a slip that preferred to trailer. In my 12 years or so of boat ownership, I have had about 6 yrs in a slip, and 6 on trailer, and am currently on a trailer, and I wish on a weekly basis I was in a slip, and will probably go back to one next season...

Nebe
10-20-2014, 03:55 PM
I was at snug harbor near that boat rack to pick up my son this summer. Walked by a brand new f-350 that had all the bells and whistles running in the parking lot. Had a few beers on a friends boat and when my son and I left a few hours later, the truck was still there running... Talk about money to burn...

Poncho
10-20-2014, 04:16 PM
I am about two hours from where I like to fish it is not terrible to haul back and forth but it is stressful and taxing on me and my aging truck. I also am done with work most days at 1:30 so I can fish evenings till 9 in the summer but hauling and cleaning boat at 11 am kinda sucks I am leaning towards a self launch service at shelter cove in Charlestown but not sure if I wanna spend the money and lose my ability to use boat in the lake by my house, my wife and I really enjoy evening cruises and not to mention the awsome bass fishing. However we both enjoy kayaking so there is always that.

Poncho
10-20-2014, 04:16 PM
11pm

zacs
10-20-2014, 11:11 PM
if you have your boat in a slip/rack, there is no reason that you can't take it home one weekend for some time on the lake.... always nice to take out a few times each season for a pressure washing anyway, if you have a trailerable boat...

Poncho
10-21-2014, 05:47 AM
Great point zacs