View Full Version : October nor'easter

nightfighter
10-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Very happy my boat is out of the water and sitting in front of the house. Just came in from checking out the waterfront and there are four footers rolling through Marblehead harbor with wave tops getting blown into white water.... Given that the full blow hasn't even arrived yet and the way some boats are buc king on their moorings, I'd be willing to bet we see some up on the beach or rocks by morning....

thefishingfreak
10-22-2014, 05:06 PM
16 footers every 10 seconds at the Boston buoy and gusts to 43kts
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

FishermanTim
10-22-2014, 05:21 PM
Oh goody, just what we needed to cap off a way-less-than stellar fishing season!

It's the epitomy of the season: IT BLOWS!

Hopefully those that thought they could "ride it out" have the $$ to "write it out" for any potential repairs.

nightfighter
10-22-2014, 05:31 PM
This is the worst direction for any weather in this town.... Surrounded by water on three sides and open to the northeast. Going to be interesting tomorrow morning.

blondterror
10-22-2014, 05:49 PM
I bet both marblehead and salem harbors still have more than 50% of the boats still swinging on their moorings....

nightfighter
10-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Nope. Significantly less. People got busy when this was forecast. This is what it looks like in season.

Dick Durand
10-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Fished this morning and planned to get out tonight. Instead I'm enjoying a cocktail and relaxing at home. It's raining and the wind may be gusting at 40 mph.

iamskippy
10-22-2014, 06:32 PM
Fished this morning and planned to get out tonight. Instead I'm enjoying a cocktail and relaxing at home. It's raining and the wind may be gusting at 40 mph.

I was down cronin, light to the wall was nasty easy 40 mph but there is some fishable waters for sure.

Green Light
10-22-2014, 07:49 PM
WOW!

ThrowingTimber
10-22-2014, 08:18 PM
Just saw a toyota yaris blow past my living room window...

Rob Rockcrawler
10-22-2014, 08:47 PM
It was a bumpy ride coming back from block island today, glad the trip wasn't about 20 minutes longer or it coulda got bad for me. Saw a lot of Gannets all over the place but not diving. Water was rough but clean for the most part.

piemma
10-23-2014, 01:47 AM
It was a bumpy ride coming back from block island today, glad the trip wasn't about 20 minutes longer or it coulda got bad for me. Saw a lot of Gannets all over the place but not diving. Water was rough but clean for the most part.

Rob, how'd you guys do on the Island?

Dick Durand
10-23-2014, 04:24 AM
Not sure if the weather alone was the cause, but according to today's ProJo a 50 foot tug overturned and sank just east of Pt. Judith early last night and the empty barge it was towing was free floating. Four people were rescued from the water by the crew on a fishing boat.

Dick Durand
10-23-2014, 04:26 AM
I was down cronin, light to the wall was nasty easy 40 mph but there is some fishable waters for sure.

But were there any fish? Rhetorical question.

saltyric
10-23-2014, 05:38 AM
Ross - The big Wilbur "Eider" next to my mooring is up on Riverhead this morning....Sucks. The ride to Gloucester was an adventure this morning, to say the least

Raider Ronnie
10-23-2014, 06:54 AM
Just asked my wife.
"Is the boat ins paid up to date"
I'm all set

nightfighter
10-23-2014, 07:04 AM
YuRoss - The big Wilbur "Eider" next to my mooring is up on Riverhead this morning....Sucks. The ride to Gloucester was an adventure this morning, to say the least

yup sucks. But that is the softest landing area if you have to go... and it happened on a falling tide.

blondterror
10-23-2014, 08:01 AM
musta had a few bumps en route but she looks OK from this angle

Rob Rockcrawler
10-23-2014, 09:07 AM
Rob, how'd you guys do on the Island?

It was a slow grind over there. Managed 3-5 fish a day. Biggest 2 fish were in the 12-15 pound range and were caught yesterday morning before the ferry on eels, not by me. All the fish were real blondies, no dark fish at all. It was a disappointing trip with the fish but just being over there makes for a great trip. I'm heading back in a few weeks for another week.

nightfighter
10-23-2014, 12:05 PM
Four boats up on sand or rocks. Another three confirmed turtled or sunk.

Nebe
10-23-2014, 12:37 PM
Ouch

bassballer
10-23-2014, 03:04 PM
i havent got a call from the dockmaster so i think im good.

nightfighter
10-23-2014, 03:19 PM
Just got back from talking with Harbormaster and Midharbor Marine operator. The number from both harbors is climbing to almost twenty.....

This was an all black 30+ CC with triple mercs

zacs
10-23-2014, 03:49 PM
oh boy... that sucks

nightfighter
10-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Just saw that black Yellowfin up on blocks at the yard. Motors still hanging off of it, but lower units have been removed. If I had 400k into that, as I have been told he did, I would not be depending on a single bilge pump...... Boat has some sexy lines though....

saltyric
10-27-2014, 05:21 AM
Just saw that black Yellowfin up on blocks at the yard. Motors still hanging off of it, but lower units have been removed. If I had 400k into that, as I have been told he did, I would not be depending on a single bilge pump...... Boat has some sexy lines though....

Bilge pump would not have saved that boat......My guess is scuppers got blocked (or covered in barnicles). It was listing pretty hard for a few hours, then flipped. I would bet there probably wasnt even much water in the bilge.

piemma
10-27-2014, 06:36 AM
It was a slow grind over there. Managed 3-5 fish a day. Biggest 2 fish were in the 12-15 pound range and were caught yesterday morning before the ferry on eels, not by me. All the fish were real blondies, no dark fish at all. It was a disappointing trip with the fish but just being over there makes for a great trip. I'm heading back in a few weeks for another week.

We have fished the Block every Nov for a lot of years. Some years we got fish. Others we got skunked. Never any jumbos in the last 20 years.

Raven
10-27-2014, 09:21 AM
According to the long range winter weather predictions for this 2014-2015 winter season
it will be as much as 40% warmer (for New England) as compared to past years where as
down south they will have much colder temps.

This may result in more precipitation coming up the Eastern Seaboard giving us more snow storms
(good for the snow plower's) but we'll have not as much deep freezing or - 20 degree action....
maybe even warmer water temps will prove that out.

OLD GOAT
10-27-2014, 09:44 AM
Just another day for rosy cheeks

striperman36
10-27-2014, 06:53 PM
According to the long range winter weather predictions for this 2014-2015 winter season
it will be as much as 40% warmer (for New England) as compared to past years where as

This may result in more precipitation coming up the Eastern Seaboard giving us more snow storms
(good for the snow plower's) but we'll have not as much deep freezing or - 20 degree action....

Not buyin this one.

Rob Rockcrawler
10-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Not buyin this one.

That's not good i was hoping our resident S-B meteorologist was going to agree fully.

I will take a snowy winter any year but its the cold that kills me. I like to keep a nice blanket of snow on the house it helps with the crappy insulation job that i have.

iamskippy
10-28-2014, 05:55 AM

My fat yard squirrels would seem to differ and so dont these old bones.