View Full Version : Hydro-orientation and the next step(s)

Linesider82
11-02-2014, 07:34 PM
I made a darter jig, following rockfish9's model. I was able to successfully turn a darter body and cut the slopes, so I feel encouraged about the jig and the ability to make a darter.

The first body I turned, I used the front and rear center holes on the wood stock to drill my thru hole, belly holes, and eye holes. I know the dimensions from the tail, but need to make sure they are parrellel and perpendicular (eyes)

Billy D suggested I hydro orient the plug in water to find its effective "top" which I agree with, but I am having a hard time envisioning locating the eyes and two belly holes after cutting the tag end off from the blank.

Any suggestions or old threads on this? Thanks, Matt

iamskippy
11-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Do you mark off your blank witht he eyes and belly holes? If so shouldnt be a problem. Maybe i am confused about your question
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ProfessorM
11-02-2014, 08:58 PM
I am a little confused with your question so this is my process, hope it helps. I don't use the sq ends when I build. Some do, some don't. Before I take plug out of lathe after final sanding I mark where everything is going to be on plug with pencil and then turn on lathe and mark the spots around the whole plug. Off lathe then thru holes are done. Then sq ends are cut off. Hydro is then done if one chooses to do. I feel darters benefit from this process. Then plug goes into a V block type jig and belly holes are drilled according to the hydro mark. Then I use the belly holes for everything else like slopes, flats, belly wgts., lips slots, eyes, etc... . All my fixtures use the belly holes for orientation. I do eyes with hand drill and forstner bit on the marks made from the pencil marks before it came off lathe. Hope that helps. Paul

Linesider82
11-02-2014, 09:41 PM
I am a little confused with your question so this is my process, hope it helps. I don't use the sq ends when I build. Some do, some don't. Before I take plug out of lathe after final sanding I mark where everything is going to be on plug with pencil and then turn on lathe and mark the spots around the whole plug. Off lathe then thru holes are done. Then sq ends are cut off. Hydro is then done if one chooses to do. I feel darters benefit from this process. Then plug goes into a V block type jig and belly holes are drilled according to the hydro mark. Then I use the belly holes for everything else like slopes, flats, belly wgts., lips slots, eyes, etc... . All my fixtures use the belly holes for orientation. I do eyes with hand drill and forstner bit on the marks made from the pencil marks before it came off lathe. Hope that helps. Paul

Yes, that's the answer I was looking for, just use the belly hole! I'll have to build a sled, maybe cut a dado slot down a board as my "u" sled rather than a V. Thanks Paul
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

pbadad
11-04-2014, 06:37 PM
Good info Matt.

Linesider82
11-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Here's my first attempt, it is not to the specs I want because my stock is just shy of the O.D. I want, but it is close.

-1&3/8" O.D. , 7&7/8" length.
-Intend to rig with 2 3/0 6x vmc trebles on the belly and a short bucktail flag for a tail.
-Estimated finished wt. of 4.3oz

Also, thanks Rockfish9 for sharing your jig specs!

JLH
11-05-2014, 02:58 PM
That looks great Matt, especially for a first attempt!

surfflyfish
11-08-2014, 12:12 PM
looks better in Person.
Very impressive darter Matt.