View Full Version : What worked well for you this year 2014?

ThrowingTimber
11-18-2014, 03:38 PM
What lure what tactic?

Id never owned a magic swimmer until this spring (fish mostly wooden lures)and I decided to pick a few up and wow! Fish responded to them really well. :uhuh:

BigFish
11-18-2014, 04:29 PM
More freshwater yak fishing and less saltwater fishing worked for me! Had a blast! Gave the striped ones a break!

BigBo
11-18-2014, 05:04 PM
I also hit the fresh more this year than I have in a very long time. Learning a lot of new techniques especially using jigs. Very productive year with lots of quality fish.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

BigFish
11-18-2014, 05:05 PM
.....and our paths never crossed.....shame. :wavey:

BigBo
11-18-2014, 05:27 PM
I know. I will most likely be doing the same next year again. And now that I'm back in the kayak saddle, the likelyhood of us getting our sh!t together is much greater.
Health issues was my limiting factor this year.

BigFish
11-18-2014, 05:28 PM
Sounds like a plan!!:kewl:

JoeG@Breezy
11-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Saltwater:...ZMann swim shads on a Kalins jig. Imitates a lot of different baits, casts well, swims great in a tight wiggle on the tail, almost bluefish proof and great colors. More than half of my 2014 fish on this 5" bait, up to a 20+# bass.

seadogg
11-18-2014, 06:14 PM
Hogy epoxy jigs for albies. The things work, plain and simple. I mean, I've been very successful with a handful of other lures, especially rebel jumpin minnows, but those little hogies are tough to beat. Definitely lived up to the hype.

ProfessorM
11-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Danny's and more night time eel's

niko
11-18-2014, 06:21 PM
Hogy epoxy jigs for albies. The things work, plain and simple. I mean, I've been very successful with a handful of other lures, especially rebel jumpin minnows, but those little hogies are tough to beat. Definitely lived up to the hype.

ain't that the truth. best thing ive ever thrown at albies

ProfessorM
11-18-2014, 06:54 PM
Maria jigs, which they copy, work just as good if you haven't lost them all since they are not made any more. I still got several left and they fished well. I actually did better on the Daddy Mac's but the finish didn't hold up at all but the bait was smaller where I was fishing after the first week so the size of the DM's were perfect in size. I may just epoxy over the DM's to get them to last next season.

JohnnySaxatilis
11-18-2014, 06:56 PM

Yea they were the definitive winner for me with the albies too. And you know I'm guna say it... Da Orca for daytime topwater

Sea Dangles
11-18-2014, 07:36 PM
I thought the Ljacks worked even better. the finish was weak but they produced

scottw
11-18-2014, 07:44 PM
I spent a lot of the season fishing from a SUP...didn't think it would as stable as it is or as accommodating but after jumping into a kayak late in the season I quickly realized I'd prefer the SUP anytime, more versatility and movement, really neat perspective on the water..they seem popular in other parts of the country but maybe just catching on here...fun way to go find fish

Raider Ronnie
11-18-2014, 08:04 PM
I stayed home.
Leo (16 years old) ran the boat :kewl:

numbskull
11-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Good year for danny plugs.

wader-dad
11-18-2014, 08:44 PM
numbskull darter

ivanputski
11-18-2014, 08:52 PM
Super strike darter took most fish for me... Even outfished eels on more than one occasion.

Eels ( live and dead) took largest

For some reason, this was the first year that the loaded redfin ended up on the bench night after night. Everyone goes through phases, and i just wasnt into it... Sorry buddy

blondterror
11-18-2014, 09:20 PM
darters at Cutty caught a few decent fish, topwater canal pencils at first light, magic swimmers when macks were around, and Hogy Epoxy jig worked well for me during albie season ... actually caught a nice one from shore during the derby

eskimo
11-18-2014, 11:00 PM
bucktails, eels, rigged eels, needlefish... in that order.

zimmy
11-18-2014, 11:16 PM
nothing really.

piemma
11-19-2014, 03:23 AM
My Danny plugs in white and yellow over white, Tattoo darters of which I have a few thanks to an un-named board member.

Nebe
11-19-2014, 07:17 AM
I spent a lot of the season fishing from a SUP...didn't think it would as stable as it is or as accommodating but after jumping into a kayak late in the season I quickly realized I'd prefer the SUP anytime, more versatility and movement, really neat perspective on the water..they seem popular in other parts of the country but maybe just catching on here...fun way to go find fish

I'm glad you gave this a try. I remember you telling the that you had the idea to try this and I thought you were nuts, but look! It works!

Dick Durand
11-19-2014, 07:30 AM
Like several of you, I caught more allbes on Hogy Epoxy Jigs than any other lure. Albies, figuratively and literally, destroy them.

Clogston29
11-19-2014, 08:06 AM
Eels for big fish, ss darters for numbers

DZ
11-19-2014, 08:16 AM
Boy if I could just have found some bass I would have been able to experiment more. I had so many builders generously gift me some plugs like Wallys Lures who gave me a nice care package of needles, darters, and pencils - I just never had any bass that I could throw them at. My worst season in over 30 years.

One bright spot was casting Albie Snax for False Albacore. When they didn't want metal they hit these with gusto. Cast great for a soft plastic.

PaulS
11-19-2014, 08:25 AM
Yellow NB darters. Fished 1 spot and the NB greatly outfished SS.

Rob Rockcrawler
11-19-2014, 07:55 PM
9" or 7.5 " sluggos on swimbait hooks, and eels.

Piscator
11-19-2014, 08:43 PM
Eels and Alan's Got Stryper Pin Tails...

JLH
11-19-2014, 10:07 PM
Sluggos on jig heads, eels and chunks all produced well. Late in the season some homemade needles took some nice fish.

bassballer
11-20-2014, 09:49 AM
i fished bucktails and ronz more this year than in years past. I fish 85% topwater but the topwater bite this season was toughter than years past. Marked alot fish but couldnt rasie them. Drop a bucktail on their heads and BAM. 1 oz jetty caster with a pork . White/whitered combo and silver or green Ronz' were the ticket.

stripermaineiac
11-20-2014, 09:51 AM
My super spooks and new swimmers worked best for me. Even caught myself an a 22lb bass at the same time on a rock pile with a blk prpl super spook LOL ouch.

brianmoc
11-20-2014, 10:01 AM
want to catch fish all day and night? this new lure from ocean lures was money in the bank for me this year! Surface Swimming Baitfish. http://www.oceanlures.com/ourproductline/Surface_Swimming_Baitfish.html

color that was best was green and white or white!

did not matter what time of day and biggest fish was a 46" fish at 2pm!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianmoc/14822966835/ day time fishing!

that's my "new" lure for this year, but never for get the yellow and white guppy 2oz biggest fish came on that.

Brian O'Connor

johnny ducketts
11-20-2014, 10:53 AM
I did well with pencil poppers in the mornings.
Did really well drifting eels from a boat.

Ryan560
11-20-2014, 05:57 PM
I started throwing more homemade stuff this year, big metal lips 8"+ and ss darters caught the bulk of my bigger fish. Needles and loaded redfins caught well also. Definite lack of resident fish around where I used to do well during the late spring and summer months...

Cool Beans
11-20-2014, 06:15 PM
Short black tube and worm (14" slim tube) behind the yak for bass and those Tog jigs from Salt Waters Edge w/crabs from Sam's for the blackfish.

PRBuzz
11-20-2014, 06:47 PM
Variety of target species and persistence!

CTSurfrat
11-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Eels in summer and Vision sand eels in spring

hardcore from shore
11-21-2014, 12:01 AM
Fished almost every day or night or am depending on the tides and locations. Several pb's including a 37 pound shore bass on pearl magic swimmer. 40 pounder on a full moon on a black stubby needle made by my dad. Most quality fish on pearl magics. But bass on darters, metal lips, mambos, savage sand eels and latevin season lots of fish on top in middle and on bottom on 3 oz. Crippled herring. O fish days beat 15 fish days but I has some. Felt happy to average a fish a day in august as it was tough. Felt like I earned every fish this year as no two days were alike.

hq2
11-21-2014, 06:37 PM
As always, trying new kayak areas! Tried Piscataqua, Fore River, Back River, North River, Plymouth shore areas, which I hadn't tried before. Did O.K. at most (fish but no keepers), pretty good at one. I don't know about other people, but I've kind of given up on daytime use of lures anywhere except moving or breaking (surf) water; in 15 years, I don't think I've ever caught anything with a lure anywhere else.

RickBomba
11-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Magic swimmers were the way to go for me. This year, I'm putting on better split rings and hooks.

Headhunter
11-22-2014, 10:00 AM
This year was quite different for me. I fish eels almost exclusively but they were not working for me for some reason. I ended up fishing 90% needle fish and would switch back and forth with eels almost every night. I caught more bass than I ever have in a season but my largest was 30 lbs and my sons largest was 36 lbs Both on needle fish. I defiantly should have broken 40 a couple of time with the time I put in and the numbers I was putting up in big fish water. They just were not there for me. I still had a great season and did get to hook up quite a few fish in Oct and Nov on eels although the size was not there. My largest fish on eels this year was 28 lbs.

Diggin Jiggin
11-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Needles in a lot of different styles, shapes and weights. I built a lot of different sized & oddly shape stuff last year just to experiment with so I fished them more than usual. They are usually a second half of the season plug for me but I started fishing them early last year and did well with them all season.

Monarca
11-27-2014, 10:48 AM
Most of my fish were taken on a black NB Bottledarter, my bigger fish were taken on the 12 inch black Sluggo fished eel speed with very subtle twitches.

Mr. Sandman
11-29-2014, 02:23 PM
I get tired of ablies. After you get a bunch I keep asking myself, why I am doing this over and over. I get bored and go home. Has to be the most popular trash fish in the sea. They on fun on a fly rod but even that gets old. Now if they got to 100# then, OK I see where you are coming from but 10# fish after 10# all day long gets old.

The hogy lures work but to be honest they were way over hyped. When they worked so did everything else. There is nothing magic about them. I preferred fishing with home made experiments instead of messing around with that Chinese copied crap. (yes they are copied maria's.) Both suffer from epoxy melting and destruction issues.

ProfessorM
11-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Lol I have to agree Albie's are fun for a week or 2 then I have had my fill, for me.

gannetgil
11-29-2014, 05:01 PM
AL GAG'S WHIP-IT FISH

5/0
11-29-2014, 09:17 PM
Vic welcome to the school of magic swimmers, they work well, I've been fruitless with them but during the mid summer blitz I was proficient with naked Yo Zori 8.5"but during night hours eels are my best bet,the last pic I caught close 2 two dozen that night.it was hard to wype my arse the next day.i

ThrowingTimber
12-01-2014, 11:11 AM
BOBBY you're a beast!

tattoobob
12-01-2014, 05:36 PM
My fall was full of bait fishing with Sea Worms lots of fish to 25 pounds

I didn't do well at all this year on plugs But I had my best luck on Salty's and Super Strike needles in parrot

wdmso
12-03-2014, 05:30 AM
I get tired of ablies. That's never going to happen for me !!! anyway Bass were slow for me all season eels and live pogies May and June. didnt hit the canal 1 time..
for Albies Albie snaxs
and epoxies for me pink was the color when they wouldn't bite

Rmarsh
12-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Dead eel

5/0
12-04-2014, 08:13 PM
BOBBY you're a beast!

Thanks Buddy but I've gotta be in the worst shape of my life...I need to hit the weights more,thank God for New Years resolution!

I caught all of those on that Loomis you wraped (sex change) for me last winter,and she held up beautifully.Surprisingly she felt better in the fall than in the spring maybe she likes heavier girls.