View Full Version : On the water tv show

Spiderman
12-01-2014, 09:42 PM
On the water is selling all 11 seasons of shows on dvd for $99. I have never seen the show though. Is it any good ?

iamskippy
12-01-2014, 10:27 PM
Plenty of repeats on TV, i am not a fan.....
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ThrowingTimber
12-01-2014, 10:31 PM
Dont do it

Raven
12-02-2014, 05:57 AM
way over priced

tysdad115
12-02-2014, 06:26 AM
No its not good.

Raider Ronnie
12-02-2014, 06:47 AM
Plenty of repeats on TV, i am not a fan.....

Repeats where ?
My cable (Verizon Fios) we don't have a single fishing show on all week long on any channel.

Spiderman
12-02-2014, 07:16 AM
Thanks for your opinions. I am on long island and dont get the channel.

Raven
12-02-2014, 07:44 AM
Repeats where ?
My cable (Verizon Fios) we don't have a single fishing show on all week long on any channel.

Black Hull Charters sounds like a fantastic name for a new
fishing show...... http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/eek5b.gif

iamskippy
12-02-2014, 07:44 AM
Repeats where ?

Do you have the channel? WFN?

piemma
12-02-2014, 08:03 AM
Repeats where ?

I heard FIOS didn't carry the Pats game either.

Piscator
12-02-2014, 08:20 AM
I heard FIOS didn't carry the Pats game either.

It was on CBS...still no Fox though, they are saying next week.

Slipknot
12-02-2014, 09:05 AM
There's only been a handful of shows worthy of watching more than once. The Stevie Van Stall show form shore one night, a few with Roy L from shore or ice, the one with Dave diggin jiggin Ross with pencil poppers. Most of the shows are on boats.

Sea Flat
12-02-2014, 12:30 PM
I think that the show is great, not sure why there is such negativity. I am not sure I would pony up $99 for it, but there are many great episodes!

Raider Ronnie
12-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Do you have the channel? WFN?

Had it a few years ago with the package I have/still have but they took it off the package.

FishermanTim
12-02-2014, 01:53 PM
Comcast / Infinity has replaced it with more Pats pre/post/during game coverage and interviews, just the thing after having to deal with the other Pats coverage shows on channel 4 on Fridays and channel 38 on Saturdays!

The DVD's have a few decent episodes, but after awhile you start to get the feeling that it's just more of a boat show than a fishing show.

Weird how a show called "On The Water" had 90 % percent of thier shows from a boat our near MV or BI, when they could have done more with the freshwater environment (since stripers are getting harder and harder to find, let alone catch).
I think they may have done a handful of ice fishing shows, which is also weird for a NEW ENGLAND show???
How many times have they visited Champlain?
Winnipesaukee? Sebago?

Yet how many times did they cruise around Cutty?, MV and BI?
How many trips to the banks?

I can see how so many have lost interest in the show as well as the magazine.

seadogg
12-02-2014, 04:27 PM
I think the show is definitely worth tuning into on Sunday. The purchase seems like a good deal, and if nothing else it will get your mind off the long, cold winter we're about to endure for the next few months. While I haven't seen them all, the episodes I have seen were interesting and fun to watch. I say if you're intrigued, give it a shot and form your own opinions.

Liv2Fish
12-02-2014, 05:42 PM
There are several free shows you can watch on the internet. I watched one from the angler magazine about tog fishing off Montauk with "Crazy Alberto" and fluking too.

niko
12-02-2014, 06:07 PM
I enjoy the otw shows. all in all I think they do a pretty good job. inshore, offshore, surf, kayak, fresh, salt, partyboat, ice - what havn't they done a show about. I wouldn't pay a hundred bucks for it but where else can you get shows about the local fishing scene. plus you get to see me and dangles do a couple of cameo appearances

BigFish
12-03-2014, 05:43 AM
I would pay 100 bucks NOT to see your ugly mugs!!!!:laughs::claps::btu::rotflmao:

BigFish
12-03-2014, 05:45 AM
Seriously I think the OTW shows are pretty good! Better than watching these largemouth bass guys catch 2 pound bass for 30 minutes every show every week and act like they are slayin'!!!:happy:

nightfighter
12-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Eleven seasons for $99 is a deal IMO. Certainly enough good info and hours of footage in there to justify to a first time viewer who is also an angler.

FishermanTim
12-03-2014, 11:27 AM
If you had to break down the percentages for their shows content it would probably be along these lines.

Ice fishing </= 1%
freshwater fishing, boat/kayak </= 1%
freshwater fishing, shore/river </= 1%
saltwater fishing, kayak </= 1%
saltwater fishing, shore/surfcast </= 1%
saltwater fishing, boat- inshore >/= 55%
saltwater fishing, boat-offshore </= 40%

At least that's how I've seen it over the years.

JohnR
12-03-2014, 11:32 AM
Hi Spidey :tooth:

Redsoxticket
12-03-2014, 02:37 PM
There should be a show similar to Whale Wars called Striper Wars.

Clogston29
12-03-2014, 03:57 PM
It is not a bad show by fishing show standards. I wouldn't pay $99 for it, but I don't get enough enjoyment out of any fishing show to buy full seasons. If I'm board and they're on, I may watch them but they are not appointment viewing. Most are just glorified infomercials anyway now. I feel like there where better shows when I was a kid and I really liked them then. I remember watching Spanish Fly, Walker's Cay Chronicles, The Bass Professor and Jimmy Houston every weekend. Only show that consistently catches my attention now if its on is Hunt for Big Fish.

bassballer
12-03-2014, 04:39 PM
I look forward to the new seasons of OTW. Surpised by the negativity. the mckenna show and the PEI tuna show were badass. Just cause most of them are from a boat means you cant enjoy watching fishing on TV? I enjoy most of them from the trout fishing to the big game in the canyons. Price tag you can argue.

$99 for all the seasons of the spanish Fly. Now were talking. Love that show. RIP JOSE!!

FishermanTim
12-04-2014, 12:31 PM
If the shows had a more "here's how you do it" approach instead of "watch what we get paid to do" method they seem to employ, maybe it would be more enjoyable.

I liked the show early on, before it became commercialized.

Larry Dahlberg (Hunt for Big Fish) has done a number of shows where he showed the viewers how to make lures that he created.

You would die from old age if you waited for Sebille or Hogey to do the same...

Too many fishing shows that are commercials interrupted by a little fishing instead of the other way around.

Heck, I'll even watch "River Monsters" and get more fishing than the average OTW episode.

bassballer
12-04-2014, 01:45 PM
If the shows had a more "here's how you do it" approach instead of "watch what we get paid to do" method they seem to employ, maybe it would be more enjoyable.

I liked the show early on, before it became commercialized.

Larry Dahlberg (Hunt for Big Fish) has done a number of shows where he showed the viewers how to make lures that he created.

You would die from old age if you waited for Sebille or Hogey to do the same...

Too many fishing shows that are commercials interrupted by a little fishing instead of the other way around.

Heck, I'll even watch "River Monsters" and get more fishing than the average OTW episode.

But why would Sebile and Hogy show you how they make their products?

The show is only a half hour. Take the offshore shows for example. If they spend time on how they wind leaders, tie knots, how rigs are made there will be 2 minutes left to show you the actually hit, fight, landing of a wahoo caught in new england waters which is pretty sick.

seadogg
12-04-2014, 11:45 PM
I agree with Bassballer . I'd rather just watch people fish and enjoy themselves as I imagine myself doing the same. If i need to learn to tie a bimini twist I'll simply take to the internet.

iamskippy
12-05-2014, 07:41 AM

The show is only a half hour. Take the offshore shows for example. If they spend time on how they wind leaders, tie knots, how rigs are made there will be 2 minutes left to show you the actually hit, fight, landing of a wahoo caught in new england waters which is pretty sick.

If they would shut that clown a55 chris megan up they could show some of the fundamental...

On a side note.,The one episode i truely enjoyed was when he was out with Terry and that kid was slaying the blues, i was happy for the kid his mother and brother.

FishermanTim
12-05-2014, 11:17 AM

They could show how to rig them and how to fish them?
Sure, we could all just do an internet search, but then why watch the show at all if you can get all your info from someone else???

They could also do a segement per show where they instruct you on techniques, knots, rods/reel ratios etc... which would also keep viewers coming back.

Sea Flat
12-05-2014, 11:36 AM
If you had to break down the percentages for their shows content it would probably be along these lines.

Ice fishing </= 1%
freshwater fishing, boat/kayak </= 1%
freshwater fishing, shore/river </= 1%
saltwater fishing, kayak </= 1%
saltwater fishing, shore/surfcast </= 1%
saltwater fishing, boat- inshore >/= 55%
saltwater fishing, boat-offshore </= 40%

At least that's how I've seen it over the years.

They could show how to rig them and how to fish them?
Sure, we could all just do an internet search, but then why watch the show at all if you can get all your info from someone else???

They could also do a segement per show where they instruct you on techniques, knots, rods/reel ratios etc... which would also keep viewers coming back.

It's funny, because I remember when they did a shore episode everyone was complaining on here that they were spot burning!! 98% of the shots were of the fishermen and the water only and for only a matter of a few seconds it showed a house and they "ruined the spot for everyone" Such garbage!!

I'm sure if they did a show that showed you how to make your own lures (which they did) and how to rig your outfits that people would complain about that too. It's a fishing show and they fish. The easiest way for them to find fish on a day that they shoot is from a boat. That being said they have fished from shore on Cuttyhunk, at the canal, a shore fishing episode where they targeted Weakfish on Cape Cod, night shark fishing etc. That's just off the top of my head.

bassballer
12-05-2014, 01:26 PM
It's funny, because I remember when they did a shore episode everyone was complaining on here that they were spot burning!! 98% of the shots were of the fishermen and the water only and for only a matter of a few seconds it showed a house and they "ruined the spot for everyone" Such garbage!!

I'm sure if they did a show that showed you how to make your own lures (which they did) and how to rig your outfits that people would complain about that too. It's a fishing show and they fish. The easiest way for them to find fish on a day that they shoot is from a boat. That being said they have fished from shore on Cuttyhunk, at the canal, a shore fishing episode where they targeted Weakfish on Cape Cod, night shark fishing etc. That's just off the top of my head.

agree

Spiderman
12-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Hi John,
Missed you guys last June.

seadogg
12-05-2014, 08:32 PM
The weakfish episode was awesome.

Mr. Sandman
12-09-2014, 10:21 AM
Some of their shows are OK. They are entertaining. For me, I don't like anything FW and turn those off right away. I could care less about fishing in a pond in ME or NH but I suppose some people like that stuff. That's cool, just not my cup of Joe. I like some of the surf shows and some of the boat shows. But there is a real downside too all this and it has been compounded now by social media in all its forms.

What I don't like about OTW (and have dropped the mag subscrip and don't fish their contest anymore) is that they (in conjunction with social media) have burned more spots (boat and shore!!) then I can count. IMO they pretty much destroyed the CH surf scene there. I use to fish cutty fairly often in the post BI heydays . I recall when they "re-discovered" the place. They hype was over the top on the shows. There was hardly anyone over there back then. I mean you would be alone for days. It was a beautiful place to fish. One trip I went for a week and did not see another fishermen and only saw 3 people the entire week. Now entire (multiple) clubs take over the place all season long and this is in large part because of the exposure that they alone provided in all media formats. Then I use to fish it only on mid weekdays when the tide was right, now even that has become busy. It is so disappointing. I miss walking the entire coast and not see another fisherman all night. (Or running into a single fishermen here or there, now it is a cluster of guys pounding certain spots) In an effort to make money they killed the very thing they loved. Do we really want guys driving hundreds of miles all that way to fish right there? I have asked fisherman on the beach how they found about CH and nearly everyone said...OTW or they went with their club and they told me about it. Many clubs show the videos of shows at the meetings and plan trips around these shows.

On the boat scene, the tuna bite off chatham; It has been fished for years by locals no question but they REALLY compounded the problem big time with their small boat you too can do this type shows. Anyone out there can tell you of the fleet at the sword or the BC. Pre-OTW, most small boat guys never heard of these places.

They increased the small boats running to canyons and to other offshore spots. Now there is a lot of room out there but anyone who made the trip to fishtales this season to fish nearly 100 miles offshore next to 300 of their buddys in every size and shape boat from 17' CC's to 130' megayachts from NJ to MA can tell you it was a friggin circus out there. Now I blame most of this on FB not OTW but they were also a contributor to the problem.

My biggest complaint is the what they did off MV this summer. Some small tuna (most under 40" moved in in decent numbers) not too far offshore. It was a real time cluster phuck for 3 weeks with large crowds of small boats drawn in directly because of their postings. Tiny boats, guys they never fished for tuna with no permits pounding away at tiny fish. I heard reports of guys taking lots of fish then attempting to sell them to restaurants and markets, most were given way to friends in the end. Others piled on posting their GPS tracks with photos of thefish they caught, the next day it was absurd. I saw guys out there in minsule boat saying they only have a bass rod with 20# test and no tuna gear, just bluefish gear. Many didn't even know they needed to have a permit and that there were strict regs governing taking of these tiny fish. There was NO enforcement, NO education, NO respect for the resource. The place was raped. When I spoke to a few of the anglers, they thought the crowds "weren't too bad" Obviously they never fished offshore, because the reason you go offshore is there are NO crowds, most of the time you are by yourself.

Now I do not blame OTW for everything, and like I said I find their show entertaining but they are part of the googan over crowding problem. I know thy are just trying to sell advertising and fisherman just want to catch fish but between the shows in the winter and the near real time reports during the season, it has become a real problem boat or shore.

I don't see a solution to the problem and don't know what the responsible thing to do is. I actually stopped the mag because I had to make some statement as pitiful as that is. Also I found them pretty repetitive. I usually paw through a copy while I wait in my Dr's office now. IMO FB is now eclipsing the OTW problem. You have to keep your internet mouth shut and only talk to a few of your trusted friends, if anyone leaks it out you are doomed in no time. I am sure some of you like me belong a closed "pay site" where membership is limited but you have to be careful there too, if one of your internet friends tells someone and they post it in an open place, again, you are doomed. This almost always happens it seems. Fishing will never be the same and that makes me sad.

FishermanTim
12-09-2014, 11:35 AM

BINGO!
You just named all the non-boat related episodes! :laugha:
The Cuttyhunk show was from shore, but they had to travel by boat to get there so it's counts (sort of).

maybe if they would at least replay more of those episodes it might make a difference.
Also having more seasonally relevant shows/segments so that we could get a segment about ice fishing AND surfcasting to appease the outdoor and indoor people?

Maybe I just need to get out and fish some more???:scream:

Diggin Jiggin
12-09-2014, 06:31 PM
They should just glue a go-pro onto whats left of Jimmy fee's lucky hat and just follow him around for a season. He chases something almost every day,mostly from shore. I guess it would only work if it could shoot short range in the dark, but it would sure be entertaining and there would be plenty of footage for the blooper reels. :hee:

PRBuzz
12-09-2014, 07:32 PM
OTW is probably the LEAST of the problem for crowded fishing: charter boats flooding social media aka FaceBook with their daily catches is likely to draw a bigger crowd. Those reports are up to date unlike OTW which can be from a year earlier. OK so I too have posted some fishing reports but my frequency of outings is maybe 2X per week and locations vary. I am usually chasing those other reports on FB. :)

Slipknot
12-09-2014, 07:36 PM
I've never even seen a report on facebook

big jay
12-09-2014, 10:52 PM
OTW is probably the LEAST of the problem for crowded fishing: charter boats flooding social media aka FaceBook with their daily catches is likely to draw a bigger crowd. Those reports are up to date unlike OTW which can be from a year earlier. OK so I too have posted some fishing reports but my frequency of outings is maybe 2X per week and locations vary. I am usually chasing those other reports on FB. :)

The fine art of pimping charters on Facebook. Post enough pics to keep the phone ringing, not enough for the Grady Whites to come looking for you...

BigFish
12-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Thats alot of shows for $99!!! Seems like a damn good deal to me! I like alot of the OTW shows....wish they had more shore, kayak and freshwater shows....seems like they tuna fish alot? But its all good entertainment! Hey if you have not kept up with the show $99 will keep you entertained all winter!

FishermanTim
12-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Better buy those CDs fast, because who knows how long it will be before that's all we'll have as proof of what "used" to be caught in our waters!
(Kind of like a memorial video eulogy)