View Full Version : Sox Hot Stove talk

nightfighter
12-11-2014, 06:22 PM
WTF? Cespedes to Detroit for a ground ball pitcher that I didn't exactly have on my radar for the starting rotation......

The Dad Fisherman
12-12-2014, 11:05 AM
They wanted to unload cespedes.....numbers are decent but he's got a bit of Manny in him. They desperately need pitching......are you comfortable with Bucholz as your number 1 :shocked:
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Ed B
12-12-2014, 05:41 PM
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/size]

No :uhoh::shocked::crying:
I hope John Henry still got some money left over from that Thanksgiving shopping spree he went on to get the hitters. We're going to need it to get a #1 and I'm not sure there's even a #2 on the roster right now. No telling what Bucholz is going to do.

detbuch
12-13-2014, 10:42 AM
WTF? Cespedes to Detroit for a ground ball pitcher that I didn't exactly have on my radar for the starting rotation......

If Porcello continues his constant year to year improvement, you could have a frontline starter for years to come. He came to Detroit as a 20 year old and has improved every year. For over half of 2014 season he was actually the best pitcher on the Tiger staff. Like the rest of the team he slipped the rest of the season. But he could be the best player in the trade and only about to turn 26. I hated to see him go. If you have a good coaching staff in Boston to keep him on the track of constant improvement, you'll be very happy. I think you got the better of the trade--by far.

The Dad Fisherman
12-13-2014, 05:01 PM
Another thing to remember is that a ground ball pitcher is actually a good thing in Boston.

nightfighter
12-13-2014, 08:48 PM
OK I'm feeling a little better after doing my research on Porcello. Led the league in CG SOs with three. Many improving trends in his numbers. I was still stinging from the loss of Lester, again..... and was not even putting Hanley Ramirez and Panda into the equation. But the rotation still scares me as it is currently. Ben still has work to do....

The Dad Fisherman
12-13-2014, 10:58 PM
Scherzer and Shields are still on the market and would be a nice addition. Still plenty of time left til spring training.

Raven
12-14-2014, 06:45 AM
side note: speaking of Stoves
(what came to mind)
NF... if you haven't built a rocket mass heater (stove)
you haven't built anything yet....
The Vent Pipe is put inside a stone bench
that you sit on and warm up your azz's

detbuch
12-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Scherzer and Shields are still on the market and would be a nice addition. Still plenty of time left til spring training.

Boston could probably get Scherzer for $180 mil or a bit more, but for seven years. Being as how he'll be 32 next season, how much stud years does he have left to deserve the big salary the last 4 or 5 years of his contract? But if Boston is willing to take the gamble, and if Tiger owner Mike Illitch doesn't foolishly open up his big wallet as he has been prone to do for big names, Boston should be the odds on favorite to get Scherzer.