View Full Version : MA Regs 2015

Guppy
12-23-2014, 03:08 PM
MA Regs 2015
Hearings scheduled

http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dfg/dmf/marinefisheriesnotices/pubhearings/dmf-publichearingnotice-january2015.pdf

PRBuzz
12-23-2014, 04:26 PM
So every rec guy that does C&R should fin the fish if over 34" to keep out of the commercial supply?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

thefishingfreak
12-23-2014, 04:33 PM
Only those who hold commercial permits will be required to "mark" fish on off days.
If I'm out with Bradley on Saturday or Sunday and we catch a couple fish over 34", they have to be "marked" so Saturdays & Sundays fish don't get sold on Monday.

ProfessorM
12-23-2014, 05:58 PM
Unless you get caught on off days how will they know. Are they relying on honesty? Good luck with that. If all the guys that took fish last year on off days stacking them for comm days and knew it was dishonest are now about to grow a conscious and abide by this little bump in the road. I highly doubt it.

tysdad115
12-23-2014, 06:19 PM
Agreed Paul. This is a ridiculous proposal. They'll still be selling Fridays fish on Monday. "Fresh" fish..

MAKAI
12-23-2014, 10:39 PM
Money whips morality's ass day in and day out !

beamie
12-23-2014, 10:45 PM
What are the chances that the scallops I bought today to wrap with bacon and fry on Christmas Day were just dug and sold yesterday?:huh:

BigFish
12-23-2014, 11:37 PM
:bs:

tysdad115
12-24-2014, 12:02 AM
Aren't scallops shucked on the boat and iced? Not sitting in a cooler for 3 days with the guts bleeding into the meat for days because they don't want to lose the $ on weight of fish?
I'm not "arguing" just stating some of the things I've seen happen.

beamie
12-24-2014, 12:52 AM
Andy,

My point is nothing in the fish case at the supermarket was caught yesterday......yet is 'fresh'. Well cared for fish whether it is cod, bluefish or bass is not an issue, this means good coolers and lots of ice, not one 5lb ice bag in a cooler. I'd take a guess that piece of fish at the supermarket bought today was caught 5-7 days ago. Now if those scallops in my fridge after being shucked on the boat were put in a bucket in the sun and not in a cooler with ice then that's a problem.....as would any fish. Thinking about them now mmmmm.

ProfessorM
12-24-2014, 08:27 AM
That is valid point but has nutin to do with skirting the rules.

tysdad115
12-24-2014, 09:04 AM
That is valid point but has nutin to do with skirting the rules.
And that was my only point.

thefishingfreak
12-24-2014, 05:26 PM
$40,000.00 fine and has to repay $500,000.00 he profited from poaching bass.
Plus 366 days is the Hoosegow

http://m.myeasternshoremd.com/news/talbot_county/article_3f3646b6-7450-5d3a-a401-a934654ad119.html?mode=jqm

bobber
12-25-2014, 10:34 PM
I've seen more than 1 bonar box full of bass and NO ICE anywhere to be seen.

was kinda wondering about the freshness thing when fish are caught on non-commercial days and sold the following Thursday (er whatever it is)

Nebe
12-26-2014, 08:46 AM
I BET ITS ALL THE CHARTER CAPTAINS WHO WANT TO KEEP THE LIMITS AT 2 FISH A DAY ARE THE ONES KEEPING MARKET FISH ON WEEKENDS ;):hidin:

Mike P
12-26-2014, 09:21 AM
Is cutting the fin supposed to work like notching the tail of an egg bearing lobster, meaning that fish can't ever be sold in Mass in the future?

thefishingfreak
12-26-2014, 10:01 AM
We are talking about dead fish laying on the deck.
If you get caught with dead market fish that aren't "marked" on off days, you will be illegal.

thefishingfreak
12-26-2014, 10:04 AM
Putting the burden on the buyer to not take "marked" fish.

Meaning the guy weighing you in has to check every bass to make sure it has both pec fins and reject any marked fish.
I Don't see that happening

thefishingfreak
12-26-2014, 10:09 AM
I BET ITS ALL THE CHARTER CAPTAINS WHO WANT TO KEEP THE LIMITS AT 2 FISH A DAY ARE THE ONES KEEPING MARKET FISH ON WEEKENDS ;):hidin:

The guys who are good don't need to ice fish. Why risk getting caught on closed days? They have no problem getting 15 fish on the open days.
Although there is some truth to that. If the rec limits restrict the boat to 8 fish per charter, they would have to go back out for the other 7 commercial fish.
Or just do 2 charters for the day, give each charter group a 1/2 filet of one 28"bass and sell the rest... Triple dipping ;)

buckman
12-26-2014, 10:51 AM

Of course we are ;) and all the little fish I keep for lobster bait .

bobber
12-26-2014, 02:29 PM
so....

the whole argument about the commercial guys' doing us all a favor by "bringing a high-quality product to market" includes not having to keep the fish cold and fresh??

MMM- I likes my fillets nice and warm...

buckman
12-26-2014, 02:50 PM
Plus it's now cool to #^&#^&#^&#^& on commercial guys !!

MAKAI
12-26-2014, 04:03 PM
Depends how you define commercial.
My Dictionary 's first two definitions cast a large shadow.

com·mer·cial
kəˈmərSHəl/Submit
adjective
concerned with or engaged in commerce.
"a commercial agreement"
synonyms: trade, trading, business, private enterprise, mercantile, sales
"a vessel built for commercial purposes"
making or intended to make a profit.
"commercial products"
synonyms: profit-oriented, money-oriented, materialistic, mercenary

thefishingfreak
12-26-2014, 04:39 PM
Bass Mercenary, Nice.

MAKAI
12-26-2014, 04:47 PM
Not making the definition up.
Just pasted it as is.....
Did find the word mercenary funny also.
Just a run of the mill " kind " description of half the people in my work circle.

Mr. Sandman
12-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Good Lord! If you have not figured out that DMF management don't get it by now you never will. This is an absurd proposal.

I could suggest a more sensible proposal but that would make too much sense and cause outrage.

MAKAI
12-26-2014, 05:37 PM
For $hits and giggles I looked up the first definition of mercenary.

mer·ce·nar·y
ˈmərsəˌnerē/Submit
adjectivederogatory
(of a person or their behavior) primarily concerned with making money at the expense of ethics.
"she's nothing but a mercenary little gold digger"
synonyms: money-oriented, grasping, greedy, acquisitive, avaricious, covetous, bribable, venal, materialistic; informalmoney-grubbing
"mercenary self-interest"

I will have to amend my previous post...
This sounds more like 3/4 of the people in my work world lately !

Raider Ronnie
12-26-2014, 06:17 PM
Of course we are ;) and all the little fish I keep for lobster bait .

Some become Silver Bullets !

BasicPatrick
01-02-2015, 06:20 PM
I don't know where the rumor of "notching" the fin and releasing the fish so it can't be sold in the future is coming from.

The proposal being considered via the upcoming MA hearings is clear, the regulation would be to "remove the pectoral fin". If you have a comm permit and have kept a fish over 34" the pectoral fin must be removed. Release any fish without its pectoral fin and it will die...will not be able to swim upright.

The MA Environmental Police did a decent job of spot checking this year and there were many fines, seizures and some prosecutions.

I like the proposal as it is very clear for the Officer to know the rules. They check the boats reg number and if the boat is in possession of an illegal fish the consequence is handed out.

BasicPatrick
01-02-2015, 06:26 PM
I could suggest a more sensible proposal but that would make too much sense and cause outrage.

Jan 14
Tisbury Town Hall
10 am

I hope you show up to this hearing. I know this will be a lightly attended hearing and my 20 years of experience attending these meetings leads me to be sure you will not only be heard but I bet anything reasonable is actually discussed. Hope to see you there.