View Full Version : Am I weird?

Mr. Sandman
12-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Tearing out our carpet in the sun room and going to put in a hardwood floor to match the dining room. I mentioned to my wife I would like to have a teak floor (or teak and holly) put in like the cockpit (or saloon) of a sportfish boat. I thought it would look cool and we could put in some real pedestal boat/deck chairs maybe even a real fighting chair to keep with the theme. She wants no part of it. I have brought the subject up a few times and it doesn't look like I will win this battle and will probably go with traditional oak floor because she rarely gives me grief about anything else I do with my impromptu schedule ("Honey I am leaving now for 3.5 days...see you in 5 days after I wake up" )
... but the thought of stepping down into a teak soled floor to me is really cool ( I have some of old big game reels and some cool photos I could use, maybe a transom styled bar and a compass rose floor inlay.) If I was single I would do it but it this looks like it is not going to fly. She said "You are weird"...and she like boats...I don't get it.:huh:

RIROCKHOUND
12-30-2014, 02:24 PM
Sounds cool, but lose the battle, not the war...

If you want something different, we put in Bamboo this fall, and love it so far. Lots of different colors and textures out there...

nightfighter
12-30-2014, 04:42 PM
As long as you get the teak and holly in the boat you want, it's a win IMO. In my house, "you are weird" means "you are pushing your luck, buster".

buckman
12-30-2014, 05:34 PM
Have you priced teak . Ouch
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spence
12-30-2014, 05:43 PM
I think it would work if you didn't go overboard.

Floor, some trim accents and art that was themed but not permanent. Fighting chair is too much unless it was a man only room for drinking and smoking.

Swimmer
12-30-2014, 06:51 PM
How about an old transom for the bar?

Raven
12-31-2014, 06:28 AM
sounds like a boat shrine....i dig the concept
but it's not a "mutual" dream
go cheap or less expensive and save the cash
for the real boat.....
bamboo is tough .easy to clean and looks great

PRBuzz
12-31-2014, 07:51 AM
I that what you do (convert your house into a fighting deck :) ) when you are going through owning a boat withdrawal? :)

Jackbass
12-31-2014, 07:51 AM
It's not weird it is a cool concept. But I think you can accomplish the job and have say decorative items that are nautical with out overdoing the base of the room. The problem with going overboard with a design concept is eventually you will want to sell the house.

Jenn
01-01-2015, 09:12 PM
Sounds kind of cool but if your wife isn't into fishing I can see where she would say no. How about a compromise? Do your floor in a way that doesn't scream "boat" but you know what it is and can have our conversation piece so to speak? Would not do the fighting chair as part of compromise. How about a "manly" leather chair and a hemingway novel on the coffee table? :)