View Full Version : Jig head mold, hook help.

peterpanwkfd
12-31-2014, 08:34 AM
Happy New Year everyone!
:cheers2:
I am in a bit of a predicament. I have the melting pot and Do-it mold in my shopping cart on amazon and Do-it's website (hesitating a little on pulling the trigger on these). I really am not liking the jig hook selection for the molds. I know that there are better hook brands for strength. Has anyone used different hooks in their molds? Specifically looking to get the "Hot Lips" mold with 1/8oz- 3/4oz cavities to start with first. (Part #3041 on Do-it)

Also, Anyone in RI pouring lead anytime soon? I would really like to see how someone else does it before I start by myself.

-Joe

beamie
12-31-2014, 09:18 AM
Joe,

You can really use anything you want. Nothing wrong with that Mustad hook that Doit references they work great. If you wanted to use another brand you may have to bend the shank a bit. You can always use a regular hook and brass eye, just take a bit more time to line up before pouring. If you need to you can modify the mold a bit with a dremel tool.

Pouring is easy. The first few may be messed up til the mold warms up, just remelt. It also helps to smoke the mold up with a candle, this makes for a better finish and more importantly doesn't let the lead stick to the mold as much. Make sure there is no moisture in the mold, drop of sweat etc. That steam will cause flying moulting lead.....very dangerous on skin and eyes....

falkners
12-31-2014, 09:41 AM
Lead is a toxic substance and need to be treated as such. Don't breathe the fumes and don't handle it without protection. It can be absorbed through the skin. Pour it in an area with good ventilation...preferably outside. Read the warnings on the do-it instructions. Lead poisoning is not a good thing.

joebaggs99
12-31-2014, 09:41 AM
If you need to modify the mold to take a larger hook use a drill. Drill conservatively on both sides of the mold and in little increments.

Nebe
12-31-2014, 09:45 AM
I modified my molds to take tinned VMC live bait hooks and brass sinker loops. All you need is a drill press to widen the hook shank opening at the tail end of the jig and a dremel tool with a machining burr (I think that's what it is called) to machine out the area to hold the sinker loop. This is an incredible upgrade if you like to use clips and not tie direct.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device