View Full Version : RI Striped Bass Meeting

DZ
01-15-2015, 09:17 AM
This announcement came in this morning. Waiting for confirmation that this will be RIs public hearing on conservation equivalency proposals.

"A meeting of Rhode Island's ASMFC Commissioners will be held on Thursday, January 29 at 6 pm in the Hazard Room in the Coastal Institute Building at the URI Bay Campus in Narragansett. The purpose of the meeting is to review and discuss the agenda for the upcoming February 3-5 ASMFC meeting in Alexandria, VA."

MakoMike
01-15-2015, 09:40 AM
this is on the agenda for the ASMFC meeting:

February 5
8 AM - Noon

Atlantic Striped Bass Management Board

Review and Consider Approval of Addendum IV Conservation Equivalency Proposals and Implementation Plans

DZ
01-15-2015, 10:02 AM
Thanks Mike - I'm still trying to determine if RI has in fact made any formal CE requests. No one in DEM wants to talk. I know there was an unannounced meeting in RI before the holidays. We still haven't had a public hearing like the other states. Last i heard was there will be another RI meeting in mid February but this will be after ASMFC. I would think RI would need public comments before. Sounds like this might be our chance.

DZ
01-15-2015, 11:07 AM
Some clarifying info from DEM:
"The meeting with the commissioners will be to discuss and provide comments on material the Board will be discussing at the ASMFC Winter meeting. The Striped Bass Board will be meeting on 2/5/15 and the Board will be discussing conservation equivalency proposals and Addendum IV implementation plans. All of the conservation equivalency proposals are included in the state implementation plans. Those should all be available in the Boards materials prior to the meeting on 1/29 so yes the proposals should be available for you to review and provide comment on at the 1/29 meeting.

If interested in making any new proposals regarding 2015 striped bass management, the public workshop/public hearing in February would be the best time to do that. I believe the notice for that will be going out by tomorrow. Along with that notice will be annotated regulations for the potential options as proposed thus far. Those options will include the conservation equivalency options so you will be able them as soon as that notice goes out as well. In short there is one proposal for the fish traps to take a small quota reduction in order to maintain their reduced minimum size of 26” and there is another proposal for the recreational fishery to go to 1 fish @ 28” with the party/charter vessels going to 2 fish @ 32”. There will also be a RIMFC meeting subsequent to the public hearing where you could provide comments as well regarding 2015 striped bass management."

JohnR
01-16-2015, 08:56 AM
"and there is another proposal for the recreational fishery to go to 1 fish @ 28” with the party/charter vessels going to 2 fish @ 32”. There will also be a RIMFC meeting subsequent to the public hearing where you could provide comments as well regarding 2015 striped bass management.""

:smash::smash::smash::wall:

WTF???? What part of CONSERVATION do people not understand.

ivanputski
01-16-2015, 11:27 AM
this part : $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Shame on the ASMFC

Headhunter
01-17-2015, 08:19 PM
Everyone should have the same option then to take 2 @ a minimum of 32" or 1 between 28" and 31.999999999"? Why do the charter guys get special treatment. I know I spend 10 times what they do per fish kept every year!!!!!!! We all have exspenses and have to make adjustments in our lifestyles to fish.

BasicPatrick
01-18-2015, 03:05 AM
Words leaking from behind the curtain is that in RI there is a heavyweight recreational fight going on with RISAA (1@ 28 for all) on one side and the RI Party Charter Association (2 fish for Party.Charter). RI Residents should flood all of these meetings until they keep RI at 1 @ 28" for all.

Nebe
01-18-2015, 07:37 AM
Striper wars 2.0
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

DZ
01-18-2015, 01:48 PM
Words leaking from behind the curtain is that in RI there is a heavyweight recreational fight going on with RISAA (1@ 28 for all) on one side and the RI Party Charter Association (2 fish for Party.Charter). RI Residents should flood all of these meetings until they keep RI at 1 @ 28" for all.

Correct Patrick - RI could be very key in this debate. RI territorial waters within 3 miles of Block holds some of the last remaining consistent fishing for large striped bass. If RI stays at one fish it will force some of the other states like NY/Ct who may have a two fish bag into a single fish in possession per person if fishing within 3 miles of Block. This will help protect this body of bass but will become an enforcement nightmare.

Nebe
01-18-2015, 02:18 PM
I hope they do what's right

BasicPatrick
01-19-2015, 02:28 AM
MA anglers have been bringing the heat. Even NC & VA are going with one fish. ITs really on RI anglers to do their part. If recs don't overwhelm those hearings then it is on our sector for not making this issue too hot to handle.

If RI went with one fish I think you will see a very different ASMFC debate. time see if RI anglers can step up.

JoeG@Breezy
01-21-2015, 12:35 PM
MA anglers have been bringing the heat. Even NC & VA are going with one fish. ITs really on RI anglers to do their part. If recs don't overwhelm those hearings then it is on our sector for not making this issue too hot to handle.

If RI went with one fish I think you will see a very different ASMFC debate. time see if RI anglers can step up.

I'm more than a little bothered by NY ( I live in NY) taking this BS position of considering 2 fish which looks like it will happen. We are by far the largest bass killing state on the east coast by ASMFC / DEC numbers, and should have taken the leadership position. So here's to hoping little Rhody can show everyone the way. For my part I will make a point of travelling to fish the RI surf this coming year and spend some money when I do. Good luck guys.

Clammer
01-21-2015, 02:08 PM
I believe NJ really has gotten the tide turned . for the 2 fish B/S :realmad:

Cool Beans
01-21-2015, 03:22 PM
Striper wars 2.0

I think it's a good idea for a t.v. show:

Striped Bass Wars:

the Boob Parker and Cleavage Erwin and their crews made up of strippers set out to distract RI charter boat captains, in a battle to prevent them from keeping more than 1 @ 28.

I would watch this show....

thefishingfreak
01-21-2015, 04:39 PM
The Gloucester hearing was an even mix of 1@28" supporters and option 3- 2 fish (1@28"-34" slot with a 40+trophy) supporters.
Nobody really wanted option 2. 2@32" for charter boats (myself included, I was in support of option 3- 40+trophy for charter boats.

If the charter boats do get the option 2. 2fish@32" they would be locked into 32 inch keepers all year long (no 28" keepers) even while out recreationally fishing with uncle bob

thefishingfreak
01-21-2015, 04:44 PM
Paul Diodoti also stated that he would not be persuaded in the least of what the neighboring states are going to do. It will be a Massachusetts issue

Slipknot
01-21-2015, 04:45 PM
Paul Diodoti also stated that he would not be persuaded in the least of what the neighboring states are going to do. It will be a Massachusetts issue

GOOD

MakoMike
01-21-2015, 05:31 PM

Pure BS.

DZ
01-29-2015, 02:50 PM
Meeting is tonight - anyone else coming?

"A meeting of Rhode Island's ASMFC Commissioners will be held on Thursday, January 29 at 6 pm in the Hazard Room in the Coastal Institute Building at the URI Bay Campus in Narragansett. The purpose of the meeting is to review and discuss the agenda for the upcoming February 3-5 ASMFC meeting in Alexandria, VA."

striperswiper75
01-29-2015, 03:29 PM
The ASMFC technical committee put out recommendations on Jan 16th. Their report is on he ASMFC website onnthe calendar for the February meeting. See the supplemental information for their recommendations. Pages 211 onward.

JoeG@Breezy
01-29-2015, 07:18 PM
The Gloucester hearing was an even mix of 1@28" supporters and option 3- 2 fish (1@28"-34" slot with a 40+trophy) supporters.
Nobody really wanted option 2. 2@32" for charter boats (myself included, I was in support of option 3- 40+trophy for charter boats.

If the charter boats do get the option 2. 2fish@32" they would be locked into 32 inch keepers all year long (no 28" keepers) even while out recreationally fishing with uncle bob

Sorry but I'm a NY guy interested in the whole picture. I gave up on my charter opps last year (2013) because they tended to take the legal limit and when we came dockside no one wanted the fish most of the time. I had a free ride, no pay, charter ride, because my buddy payed and when he had cancellations I got the call. Hard to beat. On this 28 or 32 size I'm puzzled. In five or six years of 2 trips per I never saw a fish smaller than 34-35 come over the rail. The whole two fish thing in any state trying to justify it is pure BS and the scientists should be ashamed of themselves. Because they are now in the sludge with the ASMFC. I have a thick skin so go ahead and take your shots but I'll be there saying "I told you so" when we go to a moratorium.

scottw
01-29-2015, 09:48 PM
The RI meeting was interesting tonight...Dennis can provide more but I'd like to say that he made a very impassioned plea facing a committee that appeared quite content with their recommendation of 1@28 for recs and 2@32 for for-hires going forward. They appeared ready to sail through with this recommendation offering only a passing mention of the loud call for 1@28 for ALL recs while offering repeated justification for their recommendation...Peter Jenkins from the SWE and Dennis spoke eloquently and intelligently for the majority of the rec anglers who will fish under the 1@28 regardless and will be, in my opinion, relegated to second class citizen status as for-hires and their clients(most of whom are not RI residents by their own admission) will fish side by side or "boat by boat" with their recreational clients under an entirely different set of rules and regulations......not only will we have the spectacle of RI recreational residents fishing 1@ limits as RI for-hires with their out of state clients fishing 2@ but we will also see RI residents fishing 1@ at as out of state for-hires cross the borders and fish our waters at at 2 @......there is something wrong here.....particularly when two of the board members cited reasons for recommending the mode split to A) keep things uniform so that boats won't be fishing side by side with different regulations....and B) keep regulations uniform to make enforcement easier..............

seems that mode splits create both of these problems....what was clear to me is that these guys don't acknowledge the rec fisherman as the statements above indicate..... need to keep up the pressure

big jay
01-29-2015, 10:32 PM
Hey Scott - how many rec guys attended the meeting?

Slipknot
01-29-2015, 11:04 PM
sucks

but THANK you Dennis :claps::claps:

and if it goes like that then they will have a hard time enforcing 1@28 for recs, since if caught with 2, they could just state, I was on a charter :wall:

maybe a yard sale is in order:(

scottw
01-30-2015, 06:14 AM
don't really know who was who Jay, it was a small venue...don't think they really anticipated much comment, I'd say 6 or 8 shore rec/private...there was a pair that walked in after we arrived that I believe were for-hires, a couple of guys there for Jonah Crabs, shellfish I think as well, and a few from the commercial sector...the most inspiring point of the night was when a commercial guy followed us out and offered quite a few words of encouragement and stressed consistency in the regulations, would like to have spent more time with him.......

they were cruising right through the SB portion and moving on to Jonah Crabs when Jenks interjected and Dennis followed to stress the importance of protecting the BI fishery...don't think they expected that

does seem very Rhode Island doesn't it? we have a declining resource so we'll limit the average RI rec fisherman and hope that slows the decline and at the same time, carve out a special exception for the for-hires so that they, their mate(s) and wealthy out-of-state clients can keep more bass than the average RI rec.....the average RI rec can keep two fish if he/she pays for the privilege by chartering a for-hire..I know a number of for hires that routinely take out club members and friends that I'm confident are not paying full fare...I wonder if these folks will be entitled to two fish and how that will be enforced?...we'll also let for-hire boats from out of state steam in with their clients and fish RI waters and keep two fish per as well....because..."you can't have boats fishing side by side under different regulations"......"that would make enforcement difficult"...like I said....the shore recs/private are invisible to these people...that much was clear

afterhours
01-30-2015, 06:59 AM
can't say we didn't see this coming...it's all a dog and pony show with the outcome know well in advance. the system is broke- needs to be replaced. too much "science, too little regard for avg recs, too much fish killing, and too much absolute bs.

iamskippy
01-30-2015, 07:04 AM
Sorry for my ignorance here but who puts these guys into the Role, are they elected, or is this a interview and hire positions

scottw
01-30-2015, 07:04 AM
it was a bit depressing but the folks mentioned did a great job reminding the committee of some of their obligations.....I've yet to hear a for-hire 2 fish argument that didn't fall apart under scrutiny....yet they're still twisting to accommodate them with 2 fish...

big jay
01-30-2015, 07:27 AM
Kudos to Scott, Dennis and Jenks for showing up and representing their views.

However, this board has a 22 page thread about this issue, with plenty of RI surf and rec fisherman yelling, screaming, saying some pretty nasty stuff about charter guys and the entire situation, yet only 6 or 8 guys show up?

Pathetic.

scottw
01-30-2015, 07:35 AM
Kudos to Scott, Dennis and Jenks for showing up and representing their views.

However, this board has a 22 page thread about this issue, with plenty of RI surf and rec fisherman yelling, screaming, saying some pretty nasty stuff about charter guys and the entire situation, yet only 6 or 8 guys show up?

Pathetic.

actually, RISSA didn't even send a rep, I believe because they felt they'd made themselves very clear to the committee regarding their and their members stance on the issue as have countless others on many occasions and the next meeting will afford a larger public comment forum...this meeting was a formality to confirm or announce the recommendation going forward...the SB portion of the meeting lasted all of 15 minutes and most of that was Jenks and DZ jumping in...not sure a room full of shore recs/privates would have made any difference...glad those guys got their 2 cents in though....got some priceless looks from the members:D

big jay
01-30-2015, 08:19 AM
Ok. I thought this was the same format as the Mass meetings.

Still, good for you guys to go and speak for what you believe in.

scottw
01-30-2015, 08:34 AM
Ok. I thought this was the same format as the Mass meetings.

Still, good for you guys to go and speak for what you believe in.

thanks Jay...I think there's a sledding party down the street tonight:cheers2:

DZ
01-30-2015, 08:45 AM
I was disappointed but not surprised with the turnout. Been going to these things for a LONG time. I've known most all the players for just as long and consider Robert Ballou who ran the meeting and Dave Borden friends. It was good to let them know we're not going away and there are still different viewpoints. I think our letters will create some discussion amongst the state commissioners. I was impressed that Peter Jenkins and the SWE were able to gather quite a few RI Tackle Shops to support the one fish bag limit. I was kind of puzzeled when Ballou mentioned that the reason for the ASMFC recommended CE mode split regulation was to make it easier for every state have the same regs. To me the easiest solution to get that result would have been to have each state stay at one fish bag so that no state would have a benefit over the other, all the the for hire industry would have been on an even playing field. The end result has been to open a can of worms or eels in this case.
I basically paraphrased and submitted what I wrote here:
The Newport County Salt Water Fishing Club would like to go on record supporting Option 1 for all Rhode Island recreational user groups because:
It has the highest probability of achieving the 25% mortality reduction;
It will result in fewer fish killed, especially larger breeding females;
It will be the easiest for environmental police to enforce.

The small state of Rhode Island once again has the opportunity to make a real difference for the future of striped bass management. Much like during the 1980s our state waters within 3 miles of Rhode Island’s coastline hold what may be the last areas in the entire northeast where larger bass can be caught with any consistency. Because of this RI waters are now under increasing pressure by not only RI recreational fishermen, but fishermen from Connecticut, New York, and Massachusetts. If Rhode Island stays at a conservative one fish bag limit for all including the for hire industry it will have a compound effect by also limiting all fishermen from other states to one bass in possession while in RI waters even though their home state may have a two fish bag limit. Many of us also feel that allowing a two fish bag for customers of the RI for hire industry would basically allow those customers, many who do not even purchase (or even need to purchase) a fishing license, and who generally don’t even give a damn about the fishery, the privilege of keeping two bass! Why are we even taking non-licensed for hire clients into consideration when discussing regulations? Where were they during the entire public comment period?

The conservation equivalency action by ASMFC has further resulted in the concerned public losing any trust they had in ASMFC and a majority of recreational fishermen are now disillusioned and have lost faith in the ASMFC regulators. ASMFC still has the chance to do the right thing and act in the best interest of the striper stock based on this public input. Please support a one fish bag limit for all of RI recreational fishermen, including the for hire industry.

JohnR
01-30-2015, 08:45 AM
Disappointed I didn't make it and that we did not have more of a showing.

I totally spaced on last night.

scottw
01-31-2015, 06:28 AM
per Dennis..."Feb 16th is the RIMFC meeting to institute any 2015 regulations based on what the ASMFC meeting approves. It will be our last chance to convince RI regulators to go one fish."

probably wouldn't hurt to bombard the deciders with emails and letters over the next two weeks, pre-meeting...a few things are very clear....the mode split option reportedly achieves a 29% reduction...greater than the 25% required but less that the 31% that was originally intended and the bulk of that reduction is achieved through shore rec./privates fishing at 1@28, which I think many shore rec./private are happy and willing to participate in.....I don't believe 2@32 will result in much reduction for the for-hires and definitely not for those for-hires and their clients fishing the BI summer resident bass population...

we will have the spectacle of a BI life long resident out there in a small Whaler restricted by law from taking one than more bass from his home state waters as a behemoth boat from New York steams up with 150 residents of NY and elsewhere and collects two fish per charter plus the captain and mate(s) presumably.....this would make a great cartoon if anyone had some artistic ability.

for-hires may take all of this as another "attack"...but honestly....there were comments added by the for-hire contingent regarding Striped bass long after SB had been addressed following reporting of some of the other species that they were concerned with the other night....these comments indicate to me that the sector..or at least those that were in attendance from the RI for-hire sector have no willingness or intention in participating in any reduction, in fact, the comments indicate that they feel they are "entitled" to continue to do business as usual...which, ironically, was exactly described as their attitude would be by a commercial interest in the room...

the mode split is in reality carving out an exclusion for a select number of Rhode Islanders and their clients, many of those clients, by their own admission are NOT Rhode Islanders....and to add insult to injury, it allows out-of-state interests and their out-of-state clients the same benefit....

there is still time to affect the decision and there have been some encouraging post-meeting words and signs for various quarters who's sentiment summed up is....."keep up the pressure"

ivanputski
01-31-2015, 09:06 AM
Its so blatantly obvious that 1 fish across the board no exceptions is best for the poulation right now, and it is also obvious that the asmfc never had the balls to say "no" to charter guys. This has been proven, evidenced by C.E.
I fear that the back room conversations, deals, and decisions have been made, and the big loser here is the striped bass. If we wipe them out, we all lose.

scottw
01-31-2015, 11:53 AM
there is a multiplier effect at work here too...the shore recs bump into smaller fish on average ..... the for-hires aren't throwing Zoom Flukes at schoolies...they are targeting larger fish.....those BI fish are in the middle of their life cycle and at their most productive years if I'm reading the literature correctly...each time a client takes two of those fish they're taking a considerable amount of eggs out of the equation and think about how many times this occurs throughout the season on each of these boats...cutting that in half would seem to me to be a very productive thing to do.....unlike the commercial folks, they have an option when a fish comes to the boat whether or not to keep it and I believe the tendency is to return to the dock with the largest fish...

striperswiper75
01-31-2015, 12:06 PM
I have yet to hear of any meetings scheduled in CT to go over C.E. From the documents I read CT indicated 1 fish at 28" for all anglers as the "preferred" option. The second option for CT is contingent on RI approving the exemption for the for hire industry (2@32"). If that option in RI fails then CT will only have the 1@28" plan left as an approved reduction plan.

scottw
02-01-2015, 08:43 AM
I have yet to hear of any meetings scheduled in CT to go over C.E. From the documents I read CT indicated 1 fish at 28" for all anglers as the "preferred" option. The second option for CT is contingent on RI approving the exemption for the for hire industry (2@32"). If that option in RI fails then CT will only have the 1@28" plan left as an approved reduction plan.

pretty sure CT will recommend the mode splits now that RI has indicated that they will be recommending the splits...Mass too I imagine

understand that "for-hire financial hardship" was never mentioned as a reason or rationale for recommending the mode splits the other night...

two reasons were given after pointing out that Mass and Ct we both considering the splits and that CT was most likely watching to see what RI was going to do and then follow suit...

uniformity of regulation between states was the first reason.....stated "we don't want boats fishing side by side with different regulations..."competitive advantage""(later stated they should have said "within modes")

sorry but this makes no sense for two reasons....SW fishing regulations from state to state currently vary both in size and bag limits and regarding length of "seasons" as well

while you might address the uniformity "within the modes" state to state...you create an even bigger issue of non-uniformity between modes within the state as well as state to state by establishing the mode split.....geez

this is/was strictly an "accommodation" for some of the special interests that some of them are beholden to who have decided that they have no interest in participating in any reduction willingly...

the second reason that followed was that enforcement would be easier with uniform regs state to state...

HUH??? for the above reasons coupled with the fact that it's well known that enforcement barely exists as it is...little or no enforcement of Fed waters fishing and inshore/onshore as well ....the illegal harvest and sale of stripers and other species is rampant.....striped bass is on the menu in restaurants throughout the state during the season and very little of it is bought through legal fish merchants....one of several worst kept secrets in RI....

bottom line is that their stated rationale for recommending the mode spits was very weak.....we should let them know this through letters and emails....I'll post a comprehensive list tomorrow of all of the folks that should be bombarded....hopefully after the "BIG GAME" and during the next storm tomorrow folks will have time to fire off a note .....

JoeG@Breezy
02-02-2015, 04:34 PM
I believe NJ really has gotten the tide turned . for the 2 fish B/S :realmad:

Correct, that NJ started the ball rolling. But no one in Ct, RI or Mass could make that "other state 2 fish" argument if NY went 1@28.

ivanputski
02-02-2015, 05:04 PM
Great job new jersey... Disappointing but not surprising.

thefishingfreak
02-03-2015, 09:07 AM
The New Jersey Marine Fisheries Council unanimously voted to support a two fish bag limit for striped bass beginning sometime in 2015, with one fish at 28 to less than 43 inches, and a second fish equal to or greater than 43 inches.

The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) recently mandated a 25% or better reduction by all coastal states on striped bass harvest beginning in 2015, with ASMFC technical committee members approving New Jersey's proposal of one striper at less than 43 and one striper at 43 or greater as meeting that 25% reduction goal

Raven
02-03-2015, 09:48 AM
they (NJ) seem to be more entitled i guess :huh:

fish just under 43" are the most prolific breeder's apparently.

thefishingfreak
02-03-2015, 02:41 PM
they (NJ) seem to be more entitled i guess :huh:

Entitled to what?

*ASMFC technical committee members approving New Jersey's proposal as meeting that 25% reduction *

scottw
02-04-2015, 02:24 AM
we can't do much about NJ, they'll have to live with their decision, we can still affect the decision(s) here and choose to lead....between now and Feb 16th you need to make your voice heard by the local folks who will make the ultimate decision, i'll post the RI names, numbers and physical/email address that need to be contacted later today and a form letter with bullet points for a consistent message if you'd like to use it....it's important to remind them over the next two weeks as well as to, if you possibly can, get to the meeting on the 16th...many of the clubs are meeting this week and next week, please remind and encourage your friends and fellow members