View Full Version : Westport/Oil Spill Cleanup Progress?

STEVE IN MASS
07-13-2003, 12:17 PM
Aside from me wanting to head that way soon for some fishing (:wavey:, Redcrbbr, expect a call or PM from me sometime in the next week or so...;)), Donna mentioned that the next time she goes to the beach, she was thinking of heading to Horseneck.

Soooooo.....what's the status of the effects from the spill, both on fishing, and for beach going/swimming down that way?

Thanks.....:)

nor-easter
07-13-2003, 01:53 PM
I have not "been" to Horseneck Beach for 100 years it seems but from reading the newspapers the Beach is running at 100%.
I do not read or hear TV Radio reports of tar balls or such.
The tragedy of the 4th of July is over with the recovery of the body of the drowned 13 year old.
The fisher people are getting their share of the local body of fish, apparently. I base this on the non-complaints from the various sources I use to compile reports.

likwid
07-13-2003, 06:43 PM
westport is as good as new
along with horseneck

and yes
there's fish there

plenty of scup to liveline at the barge

redcrbbr
07-14-2003, 07:54 AM
i wouldn't say good as new...but it sure is a heck of alot better than it was. the folks in the white paper suits still are making patrols along the beaches couple of days a week. THEY DID A FANTASTIC JOB!! i'm still picking up oil stains when i walk gooseberry, and by now most of the crap has been buried under the sand. the fishing has been good, and the oil doesn't seem to have affected the beach goers.

now if we could just do something about the weed from the last couple of days of wind....least it isn't mung