View Full Version : rhode island boat storage?

jasonsnova
02-04-2015, 04:13 PM
So for quite some time my local place to go is the Merrimack river area, I have a good/secure/cheap place to store my boat on the trailer. But with all the ground fish closures in the gulf of maine it may be coming to a end. As I do like to striper fish I also enjoy the off shore stuff... cod haddock tuna sharks etc. but theres talk of no fishing at all in the closure areas which will leave the striper fishing even more crowded than it already is ( reason I started off shore) . And up that way pretty much all we have for inshore stuff is stripers and some years flounder. everything else just doesn't swim that far north consitantly.
so my thinking is this sell the boat or look into keeping it in rhode island....
the boat is a 25' Carolina classic no bottom paint....so im looking for a storage area where I can keep it on the trailer or possibly a dry dock. to make it work for me id have to be between stonnington ct to pr Judith ri area.
anyone got any leads or ideas? thx

Roger
02-05-2015, 09:08 AM
I know that Stone Cove Marina in Narragansett allows trailer storage. Other marinas may as well.

IMO, for what you like to do, you'd be better off around Chatham.

zacs
02-05-2015, 02:55 PM
maybe, but chatham is a serious haul with vicious cape traffic to deal with.

point judith marina has rack storage, but it is $$$. That would be your best option by far but i think it is over $100 per foot for the season. You call a couple hours ahead or day before if you want an early start, and your boat is sitting at temp dock waiting for you.

stone cove is an option, as are the others in that area - ram point, silver spring, but they are up the pond and take 20 mins just to get out. There are not many other choice in RI if you want to include tuna/shark in the mix.

There is a gas station on 108 as you approach point jude that looks like they sell some spots to trailers, and have some boats for sale too. i don't know the name of the station or how to contact.

maybe newport or wickford?

jasonsnova
02-05-2015, 09:48 PM
Thanks guys keep the ideas coming!.
Chatham is way too much of a haul for me regularly. Where I used to keep it it was about 1 hr to the boat ,hook it and 2 miles to ramp and was super cheap.
I emailed point Judith marine they quoted me $3500 to rack store for the season...pricey . But not out of the question. Being that it's further away it would see me time . But this a big chunk of change.
Any other places that dry dock?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Sundowner
02-06-2015, 10:08 AM
There is a gas station on 108 as you approach point jude that looks like they sell some spots to trailers, and have some boats for sale too. i don't know the name of the station or how to contact.

WEST LAKES GARAGE. 707 POINT JUDITH RD NARRAGANSETT RI 02882. (401) 792-8888.

jasonsnova
02-08-2015, 05:05 PM
WEST LAKES GARAGE. 707 POINT JUDITH RD NARRAGANSETT RI 02882. (401) 792-8888.
That's man I'll give them a call.
Anyone use them before?

zacs
02-09-2015, 11:29 AM
No.
But its a gas station. With a bunch of space to the left and right. Maybe room for 5-7 boats on either side. Most of the boats look to be for sale. But I would def call them, i would bet they would be happy to let you park the trailer there for the right price.
But it is a roadside gas station. I would not leave gear or electronics easily accessible, even though it is a safe area you never know.

jasonsnova
02-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Anyone here live close to the water and want to rent me a spot in there driveway? :)

MakoMike
02-10-2015, 09:27 AM
Stone Cove is probably your best bet. The gas station on 108 is owned by a guy Dave? Who is both a boat and auto mechanic, I think the boats in the station are the ones he's working on.

jasonsnova
02-10-2015, 04:46 PM
Thanks Mike I'll look into stone cove....

jasonsnova
02-11-2015, 11:33 AM
so because of the distance I am from the fishing grounds I am strongly considering dry docking it . Any other places in western RI or eastern ct I should check into?

Sundowner
02-11-2015, 03:20 PM
West Lakes has a lot of room in the back as well. How big is your boat?

jasonsnova
02-11-2015, 08:57 PM
My boat is a 25' Carolina classic diesel

MakoMike
02-14-2015, 02:44 PM
The only place I know that has rack storage is Pt. Judith Marina.

ivanputski
02-15-2015, 12:41 AM
Niantic CT has dry rack storage... indoor.

Niantic bay boat valet