View Full Version : sinker molds and equipment for pouring..

fish raptor
02-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Just trying to gear up for the future now that I have the new boat. been spending a LOT of time on the net trying to learn new techniques and type of gear I will need and I see I will be needing some other types of sinkers and larger sizes so I thought it only made sense to at least consider pouring my own. I have quite a supply of good lead.

I know that there are a lot of lead pourers out there and thought I could get some good advise which would save me a lot of time trying to filter through all the internet for the proper equipment and techniques.

Is there a brand/s of sinker molds out there that are considered superior for what ever reason. I know I need bank and egg sinkers to start off with probably to include some of the larger sizes for trolling.
My dad gave me a pyramid mold up to 4oz and the old traditional twist on sinkers which I have way too many and can remelt into something more useful.

Do all molds "stamp" on each sinker their weight, ie. 1/2oz, 1 oz and so on ... as that would also be nice.

My girlfriend gave me the lead melting pot that I have included in a pic but I measured it with water and it is only holds 4oz. I can only guess that this unit is too small ? If so, best to sell it and get something bigger/better ??

Can anyone advise as to what I need to get a nice sinker making set up. As usual, looking for quality stuff.

Possibly jig heads down the road as I have all the bucktail tying equipment.

Also like the idea of being able to put wire through the egg sinkers so they can be attached quickly to line with snap swivel. I take it that there are special molds used to accomplish this ?

Kind Regards,

Fish Raptor

iamskippy
02-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Do it molds imho are some of the best molds out there.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

beamie
02-09-2015, 04:31 PM
My girlfriend gave me the lead melting pot that I have included in a pic but I measured it with water and it is only holds 4oz. I can only guess that this unit is too small ? If so, best to sell it and get something bigger/better ??

That's too funny.

Your comparing horseshoes to handgranades.

That ladel will hold close to 2 lbs of lead and do most everything you need. It is just a bit small so the replenishment phase waiting for the lead to melt will slow you down a bit. But is fine.

Did you try it....the element looks a bit old.?

If you were closer I would let you borrow my bank weight molds.

You can find some old cast iron sinker molds on fleabay. They really never go bad.

And as Skippy said Doit molds are great.

bloocrab
02-09-2015, 09:51 PM
....You can find some old cast iron sinker molds on fleabay. They really never go bad....

I'm glad you said that they never "really go bad"....because they can.

In my personal experience, I've had molds get so hot due to mass production that the lead wasn't solidifying fast enough that I've opted to dip the mold into cold water to keep things moving along. (Keep in mind that I was using a large pot...you wouldn't have this problem with the pot in your picture)..This ended up warping the mold causing sinkers to not form correctly.
Meaning that the mold warped in such a way that the hole that you'd thread the line through no longer formed. I would have to drill and grind the hole clean after pouring. This would double the time it takes to make the product. So be careful buying used molds.

Buy a brand new Do-It mold and get on with it.
Be careful as water and lead do NOT play well together. Use a metal spoon to sift off the debris from the top. I've found that by leaving some melted lead in the pot, it helps to start the melting of newly introduced lead. Wear safety goggles.

Be safe and pour in a well ventilated work space.

beamie
02-10-2015, 10:18 AM
Ok Bloocrab.....your right, they can go bad..............but that was your fault...:jump:

fish raptor
02-10-2015, 12:26 PM
O.K. I read all replies and want to say thank you. It does appears the Do-it molds seem to be very good and popular so I will go with them. someone mentioned cast iron. I'm not sure but I thought watching the Do-it utube video that the rep said theres were aluminum ??

will probably get both size bank sinkers as I need them all and look at the egg mold with the wire going thru.

I saw in the Do-it video that the rep was using a fancy melting pot that poured from the bottom, very slick and fast. will have to check into seeing how much one of those goes for.

thanks again

Fish Raptor

ProfessorM
02-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Yeah get one of those melting pots. I have had one for years and they are slick and not too expensive. Lee makes them. I wait till good weather and pour outside with a fan.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Do-it_Lead_Melting_Lee_Production_Pot_IV_/descpage-DILMPPIV.html?gclid=CMyxyd_S2MMCFWRk7AodMyMA3g

Rockfish9
02-11-2015, 12:38 PM
Yeah get one of those melting pots. I have had one for years and they are slick and not too expensive. Lee makes them. I wait till good weather and pour outside with a fan.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Do-it_Lead_Melting_Lee_Production_Pot_IV_/descpage-DILMPPIV.html?gclid=CMyxyd_S2MMCFWRk7AodMyMA3g

I second the lee pot... pouring 2lbs or lead from that ladle is tougher than you think.. I've done it ( still do on occasion) both ways.. the Lee hands down is the winner... as others have said.. do it molds are great... I've got some that are 40 years old... still as good as ever.. oil the hinges once and a while and cure the cavities with smoke and you'll be good to go.....

Fishpart
02-11-2015, 02:59 PM
Keep your temp set just over the melting point and you will get less dross on the top of your pot and the molds are less likely to overheat.

iamskippy
02-11-2015, 04:08 PM
Lee pots are cool for sure, i dont own one cause of the cost, but soon i probably will but when pouring volume i will laddle all day, the lee pot just doest hold enough lead to be pouring mass amounts of sinkers.

ProfessorM
02-11-2015, 07:13 PM
I agree they are limited but you just keep adding. New lead into the molten lead will melt in several seconds so there is not much of a wait at all. Pour and add, pour and add.

fish raptor
02-11-2015, 08:07 PM
Fishpart states: keep lead just over melting point so you will get less "dross" on top. What is dross ? I know you get impurities which you skim off but I wouldn't think temperature has anything to do with the amount of impurities accumulated at the top.

Also took a look at ProfessorM's site which had the Lee melting pot. Read the writeup on it but was confused as it stated good "up to 1oz" ??? I know I will be pouring over 1oz so why would they state that.

Wonder if anyone makes a bigger "bottom pour" style like the Lee ?

To start off with I think I will get the following molds:

Bank sinkers 2,3,4,5 oz
Bank sinkers 6 & 8 oz
Trolling sinkers 3,4,5 oz
This should take care of most of the boating sinker needs I would guess.
If not please don't hesitate to suggest others.

I have a ton of pyramid sinkers (and mold) so don't need any.

ProfessorM
02-11-2015, 08:15 PM
that melter should hold about 10 lbs of lead

Fishpart
02-12-2015, 06:17 AM
Higher temps generate more oxides "dross" that you need to skim.